Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
Has any one ever try to put 1.8 turbo from a 1999 Passat vw in there 914
porschecb
Why? blink.gif
RJMII
Should be fairly easy. IIRC it will bolt right up to a Boxster 5 speed. You'll need the custom engine mount, the radiator should fit in the engine bay (if you put the turbo in the right spot), and custom axles/transmission mount.

Oh, and the cable shifter setup. Trim up the wiring harness to make it fit... or go aftermarket. MS2 or MS3 or SDS?

edit: i haven't seen it done... but that doesn't mean anything.
VaccaRabite
There is a 1.8T car that shows up to most of the MidAtlantic events, but I can't remember whose is it right now.

The engine is deep, and you don't get a lot of road clearance. He had trun the turbo in the read trunk. The car is a racer, so the owner was not worried about keeping a functional rear trunk.

Zach
rohar
I ran a turbo 2.0 16v a few years ago using the 914 trans and a Kennedy adapter. Believe it or not it fit without cutting any sheet metal. I ran it vertical rather than the stock 15 degree slant with a customised pan/pump so ground clearance wasn't an issue.

I just bought an 01E with the intent of putting the 16v in my current chassis, but it came with a 2.7 v6 attached to it and it's a bit tempting.

The problem with the 01E tranny is the axles. The flanges are nowhere near the same as the 914 AND the shafts are unequal length. I've found complete custom shafts but they're a bit spendy. I'm going back to the VW parts bin to measure more candidates today.
Zimms
Member okieflyr

Blog

Recent thread with pic
rohar
QUOTE(rohar @ May 30 2010, 08:26 AM) *

I ran a turbo 2.0 16v a few years ago using the 914 trans and a Kennedy adapter. Believe it or not it fit without cutting any sheet metal. I ran it vertical rather than the stock 15 degree slant with a customised pan/pump so ground clearance wasn't an issue.

I just bought an 01E with the intent of putting the 16v in my current chassis, but it came with a 2.7 v6 attached to it and it's a bit tempting.

The problem with the 01E tranny is the axles. The flanges are nowhere near the same as the 914 AND the shafts are unequal length. I've found complete custom shafts but they're a bit spendy. I'm going back to the VW parts bin to measure more candidates today.

Well, my field trip to half shaft heaven came up with nada. Figured as much but had to give it a try. It's possible with a pair of driver's side golf shafts if I took the time to have some adapter-spacers made, but I'm just not happy with that solution.

Custom half shafts it is.

So here's the thing on the 1.8t. You can use the tranny that comes with it from VW and blow over $500 on shafts, hydraulic clutch solution, new speedo, cable shifter and fabricate tranny mounts OR I'll sell ya my old Kennedy kit for cheep wink.gif It's just missing the pilot bearing.

...all funds will go toward making an 01e fit in a teener.
Dr Evil
Contact (Kevin) okieflyer, he has done one and very well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.