Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine cooling / temp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I finally got my motor in and have the car running and was wondering at what temp does the motor normally run at when idling? I don't have the center console with a temp gauge and the car has a carb so all of the fuel injection was removed. I see the CHT sensor wire and was wondering if this can be used with some type of a gauge. I installed a new thermostat and made sure the two air flaps were in place and working on the fan shroud when I had the motor out. All engine tin is in place . I did purchase a laser temp sensor so I can try to take a reading on the engine when it's idling in the garage. What is the best set up to monitor the engine? Oil pressure, Oil temp or cylinder head temp?

Thanks for the help!

Jsaum
SLITS
Cylinder Head Temperature ...
jsaum
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 29 2010, 07:27 PM) *

Can I run a gauge off of the stock sensor?
Borderline
QUOTE(jsaum @ May 29 2010, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 29 2010, 07:27 PM) *

Can I run a gauge off of the stock sensor?

Yes you can, I think, but it won't correlate to what anyone else is running. The CHT of choice is the spark plug sensor on #3 cyl. The general consensus is normal temps would be 300-375F You are overheating when it goes over 400F+. I also like my oil temp gauge. The two give you a good idea of what is happening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.