Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me price a car for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave Bell
It has been forever since I have logged onto 914world... signed up in 2003.

I am not driving my car much for the last 4 - 5 years, spending much more time riding dirt bikes and wrenching on them, so it is time to put my car up for sale. The problem is, I have been out of it for so long that I don't know what 914's are worth.

A few pics can be found at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/112954333716681365721/914#

The car has been through a lot of "up-fixing"

Below is a list of all the things I can remember that I have done to the car. I am sure I have forgotten stuff.

Pardon me if this question should have been posted in the For Sale section but I am just trying to figure out a sale price and then maybe post it later for sale here and on the Pelican site. Please Admin move if I have violated site
policy asking here.

(Note: Picts of engine parts are for 2270 not in the car but I have those parts and will ask about them in another post.)

Thanks guys.

- Dave

Body
o Front Trunk, cabin, and engine bay and rear trunk stripped and POR-15
o Original car color was white
o Entire car prepped, sanded, primed, dents and ripples Evercoat “bondo” fixed, and primed. Have many photos of the prep work done by me up pimer level.
o Color coat, clear coat and color sand done by paint shop. Looks fantastic from 5cm and 500 feet. Painter states that the clear coat is thick enough to allow multiple future color sanding if desired/needed. Looks beautiful now. Car garaged since restoration and paint.
o Front rear bumpers back dated to early style and front fog lights holes completely eliminated via sheet metal, See pictures
o Euro tail light lenses and Euro front turn signal lenses.
o Hell hole checked, cleaned, welded in part, POR-15’d
o Cabin floor stripped, cleaned and reinforced with steel bar in places, POR-15’ed.
o Front trunk release mechanism replaces with braided stainless line and new plastic guide tube
o No body sag, door lines flawless
o New rear trunk hinge brackets and rollers
o Front trunk double safety… no coming loose while driving
o Fiberglass front spoiler
o Metal Rocker panels
o New Windshield
o Second spare roof, smooth painted white
o Door handle mechanism disassembled and new bit pieces. Note door key different from ignition key. Locks work. Never redid tumblers to match keys.

Interior
o Seats recovered with stock black vinyl
o Carpet and floor mats redone
o Roof liner redone
o Fabric dash cover
o Targa seal, windshield seals and all cabin rubber either new or in excellent condition.
o 150mph speedo
o Glass on gauges not plastic
o New odometer gear
o Pedal cluster cleaned… can’t remember new parts there

Suspension/Steering
o New Momo steering wheel
o New Turbo Tie Rods
o New ball joints
o Red Adjustable Konis on all 4 corners, very nice.
o 140 lb rear springs
o Tarret Engineering 22mm hollow front sway bar with adjustable droplinks and welded in triangle plates
o Fake 4-lug Fuchs with Dunlop 195/55/R15 with lots of tread

Fuel
o Fuel tank cleaned and prepped with POR-15 tank seal
o Fuel pressure gauge plumbed into fuel line in engine bay
o New fuel filter
o Fuel pump in front trunk with access plate, not in engine compartment
o Fuel lines at tank are long enough to pull up tank for access underneath without disconnecting tank.

Engine
o 1.8L with L-Jet FI
o Engine came from a car that had bad CHT sensor, but in good condition. Top end was disassembled, cleaned, checked and reassembled.
o L-Jet FI gone through, cleaned and tuned air/fuel mixture setting.
o New intake manifold gaskets
o New intake manifold hoses
o Cold start and airflow regulator checked
o New Vacuum Hoses
o New CHT sensor
o Fuel injectors checked, new injector seals
o Added dash mount fuel richness adjustment to the system
o Bung on exhaust for O2 sensor, nothing attached now, could be attached.
o EGR system eliminated
o Exhaust coated with POR-15 high temp dark gray paint.
o New fuel hose and plumbed in fuel pressure gauge in engine compartment.
o New vacuum hoses
o Oil cooler cleaned and new seals
o New front motor mounts
o 911 sport mounts used on Tranny rear mounts
o Push rods checked and used “selected” set of push rods and rod tubes and new push rod tube seals
o New Valve adjustment screws and lock nuts and new valve cover seals
o New front and rear engine seals in fact all new seals used that could be accessed given engine pull and top end tear down
o Engine tin stripped and painted
o Intake runners stripped and painted
o New oil screen
o Note: 1975 car rolled off CA smog check in 2005. No smog required, could install larger 4, 6 and/or carbs if desired or any other motor and fuel delivery system.

Transmission
o 901 Side Shift with working 1st gear syncho
o New speedo angle drive
o New Throw-out bearing
o New speedo cable
o New clutch cable
o New front and rear shift rod bushings
o New main seal
o New output shaft seals
o New CV bolts
o Cleaned and repacked CV’s I think I put in new ball bearings, memory fails me
o 911 sport mounts used for tyranny
o Also have solid tyranny mounts
o Heavy duty spring kit on shift lever in cabin, “Reverse lockout”… a surprising pain to install
o New tyranny oil.
o Can’t remember if I put in a new clutch and pressure plate or if I turned the flywheel when I assembled with the engine … I do remember using new bolts on the pressure plate…Argh… memory failing me…. Worked on too many things….but no clutch or tyranny issues.
o Added flywheel marking at 180 off top dead center for visual positioning when under the car adjusting valves. When mark shows underneath car, top-side marker is at top dead center.

Exhaust
o New copper exhaust seals
o A couple new exhaust studs if memory serves me
o New copper coated lock nuts for exhaust
o 1.8L J-tubes cleaned and POR-15 high temp painted. Welded up holes in heat exchanger air boxes.
o Custom muffler. Sounds like stock but lighter
o New heat exchanger flapper box hot air hoses
o Flapper box cables and control checked and fixed

Brakes
o All 4 brake calipers disassembled, cleaned, Caliper rebuild kit on each, obviously new fluid, new pads.
o New Stainless steel brake lines
o New 19mm master cylinder
o Proportioning valve replaced with “T”
o New Speed Bleeders

Ignition:
o New Crane Fireball H6 Ignition, Multi-spark below 3000 RPM
o New Crane High energy coil.
o New Signal adapter for Tachometer
o Rebuilt distributor, 205A or B?, can’t remember but standard for 1.8L L-Jet.
o New Points but points now only used for low current trigger of Crane ignition
o Rotor modified to handle higher energy spark and have spare modified rotors
o Ignition wires for hotter spark

Electrical
o Hot start relay mounted right at starter.
o Added Hella H4 Headlights with high beams that turn night time into “daylight”
o Gone through relay board and cleaned
o Cleaned Engine/tranny grounding cable connections.

Other
o Jack pad insert
o Stainless steel windshield wipers
o Rain/water/sun proof cabin only cap

Mike Bellis
I'm guessing that car is worth $10-15K. The hard part is getting someone to pay it. Looks like everything is done and the car doesn't need much except center caps. You will need to market the car well. PCA, World, Club, etc... I have had some luck buying and selling on Ebay. You might have to wait for a premium price.
bandjoey
In these situations, people usually go to Evil Bay, Craigs list, and The Samba to see what people are paying. With 25 cars online now on Evil bay, a really nice car is closing out in less than 24 hours for $7k and another clean looking car closing in 3 days at $3000. Unfortunately, with the economy, prices are not what they were a couple of years ago. Good Luck.
PS. Start it and drive it. You might change your mind. driving.gif
Dave Bell
Thanks for feedback guys.... I have been out of the 914 car and parts horse-trading loop for so long that the prices still seem higher than I am used to hearing. The last rolling chassis I purchased was pretty rust free and it was only $300 and I purchased another full running car with 5 lug conversion for $2250 and finally I could find cars at the So. Cal junk yards. I once walked away with a nice engine for $100. I guess those days are gone.

So I have one other parts pricing question.

What is the current value of a set of four 16 x 6, 5 lug Fuchs and what is the current value of 5 lug conversion parts. Unfortunately I cannot remember the year/model 911 that the 5-lug stuff came off but I know it did not include fancy light weight calipers.

Thanks again for you input.

And I did wash the car and take it out for drive. It had been 6 - months probably since I had driven it. I love fuel injection. The car sits around for 6-months with only Stabil in the tank to keep things from going bad and it fires right up... and yes it is still fun to drive around a street legal go-cart.

- Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.