Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hooked on the hOrns of a dElema
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Well here it is. Confirmed that I have to change the rear seal. I did get to drive the car for a couple of days though. 914 Paranoid Delusional #1. The car will go on jackstands and they'll grow back into the car. 914 Paranoid Delusional #2. I'll get the tranny out and my neighbor won't be there to hold it up lol-2.gif 914 Paranoid Delusional #3. It's on Pelican's Technical Difficulty Scale #43.

Options: I can have it done for about $800 including all the seals, bearings and clutch plate. That's $700 more than I want to spend, but it'll be done in a couple of days by a known local 914 shop OR Pull it back into the garage and see what happens OR look for a motor to buy and swap. Remember, It took 10 days for me to get the calipers rebuilt, and 10 days to bleed the brakes. OK tell me I can do this or haul it into the shop. chair.gif

How many of U have done your own rear seal for the first time, and got it back on the road in less than a couple of weeks? What problems am I going to run into to look out for up front?

Who wants to come over some Saturday and help?
beerchug.gif I'm real generous with food and beverage, and you can listen to my Elvis and Led Zepplin collection. I figure It'll take probably a week or 10 days to get all the parts together and borrow a few clutch tools. So if I do this it's a few weeks out.

signed, 914 Paranoid Delusional in Texas. flag.gif
d914
Its summer time, throw a bbq for some 14'ers and get it done, or pay for it..either way it gets done and you get to enjoy the car..
type47
DIY beer.gif burger.gif jsharp.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 30 2010, 01:48 AM) *

...914 Paranoid Delusional #2. I'll get the tranny out and my neighbor won't be there to hold it up

If you only want to spend $100 total you may be looking to cut too many corners, but that's just MHO...

If you don't mind making a small investment (think capitalization...) in equipment this and all future work can be a lot easier, safer, and on your schedule.

I've done 99.9% of everything on all my cars alone. The substitute for friends and neighbors is hydraulics.

Spending $100-ish on good jackstands, hydraulic floor jack, transmission jack or floorjack adaptor will go a long way toward making this (and all future) work safer and more pleasant.

Having a stable way to support the transmission as is is extracted from the vehicle means you can go as slow and steady as you need to. Gotta stop for the night? It'll still be there tomorrow.

Don't forget to order in new CV flange gaskets and a shipset of 8mm Schnorr washers. If you're removing the exhaust (seems like a good idea to me but guys with more /4 experience may say it's unnecessary) get a set of exhaust gaskets.

In many cases, doing a targeted repair like this involves having the discipline to turn a blind eye to ALA's and FOALM's. There is always a temptation to do more 'while you're in there.' Resist this urge unless it is truly safety related, secure in the knowledge that with proper tooling, it'll be easy to get to when its time comes up.
bandjoey
Have all the tools other than flywheel lock and alignment pin. I've rebuilt and put together everything on the car except the motor tranny. (body swap). It's like all the plastic surgury is finished and now it's time to do a liver transplant. The boobie doctor will think hard about the transplant But he did go to doctor school. No offence Dr Evil. Ok I'm talking myself into this. smash.gif

Dr Evil
DIY, Bill. I can lend you the flywheel lock if you need. This is an easy to do job. Really straight forward and covered well enough in the manual. I did not check your parts thread, but I am pretty sure you will have the list of everything you need. I may have a seal and flywheel bolt plate for you as well. I dont need TIV stuff so I am easy to get rid of it wink.gif
bandjoey
Thanks Doc. I'll PM you. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
You can also borrow my flywheel lock, and it is local to you.

No offense doc, but I can get it to him in 15 minutes.

jcb29
I'm right up the street here in NRH and available for hands on 914 action. No brains, minimal muscle (yea hydraulics) but I do have the 914 Workshop Manual and can bring it if it will help. PM me to work out the details.
Dr Evil
Dude, if Clay lives up the street you are set smile.gif
Grelber
I can stand there and nod, and schlep things.
tradisrad
it is not a hard job and you could do it in a day if you plan it out. get your new seal, fly wheel lock washer thingy, new CV gaskets & washers and a new seal for the trans main shaft (since you're there), if you're going to do the clutch you may want to resurface the fly wheel, so you will need to arrange for that. But do you need to replace the clutch disk? are you affraid it is oil soaked? is the throw out bearing ok? if money is an issue dont replace things that don't need to be replaced.
With an impact gun you can
It sounds like Clay will help so you can just sit back and have a beer while he works!
bandjoey
JUNE 19 - 9am - ???

I'm ordering all the parts to do the seal and clutch and will get'r done on June 19.

I can park about 10 914 cars in my circle. PM or email me and let me know what you like to drink and I'll ice down some cold ones. beer3.gif My kids will be cooking cookies and junk food as long as people are around to eat. I'll order some Pizzas at noonish since I can't cook and work at the same time. pizza.gif

Come and Help Come and BS Come and Meet Other 914ers. Come and find out why you need to be at MUSR!

1204 Tranquilla Ter., Bedford 76021. PM or email if you can come. Thanks for the support. bandjoey@sbcglobal.net

PS. Any Dellorto mechanics? I can use a little tune and sync help there too. rolleyes.gif

tat2dphreak
I'll go check now to see if I have the rear seal. are you going to do the clutch kit too? I would.

if it's in your budget, have Wes lighten your flywheel beforehand smile.gif you will not believe how the car reacts with a 10lb fly

EDIT. I just checked my parts stash... no seal... I think I gave my extra one to wes to replenish his stock after he rebuilt my engine last year...

I will do my best to come over and help though... it's not a bad job smile.gif
ClayPerrine
I should be able to be there..

And I am bringing a lawn chair so I can sit there and tell everyone what to do!!!

biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 31 2010, 06:02 PM) *

I should be able to be there..

And I am bringing a lawn chair so I can sit there and tell everyone what to do!!!

biggrin.gif

Don't forget the milk crate so they can see you. poke.gif

Almost makes me wish I still lived in Euless. Would drive down and consume your food and harrass Clay but the Dragon is closer and Ken and I are planning some preruns. Good luck Bill, you will do fine, Clay won't let you screw it up.
bandjoey
everyone tells me that Lightening the flywheel is good but this is a one day deal. Clay was the flywheel on that old 1.8 good? I might have it done and swap it out with mine when it's pulled?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 31 2010, 06:45 PM) *

everyone tells me that Lightening the flywheel is good but this is a one day deal. Clay was the flywheel on that old 1.8 good? I might have it done and swap it out with mine when it's pulled?

I don't know. I never pulled the clutch off it. Wes would turn it anyway, so you can swap it out if you like.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.