Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 Black interior
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
EJP914
My interior is in really good shape - no cracks, no rips, but no longer looks black. When it's wet from wiping it down - looks great - but after it dries, it gets dull and grey looking. Is there something out there someone has had good luck with that goes on like Amorall (or similar) but doesn't leave that wet greasy feel and look. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ed
Tom_T
There are vinyl dye kits out there from AA, Pelican, PP/Automotion & others which folks have used with varying success.

One member on here had an unfortunate & bad dye job by a DAPO on his 74 LE from Beige dyed to Black, which he now has to try to replace! dry.gif
IronHillRestorations
SEM makes paint for vinyl in many colors. The problem is cleaning the old vinyl so the paint will stick. Years of Armoral and vinyl treatments can impregnate the material, and can cause adhesion problems. If you do it, you've got to get the right cleaner.

I have used the SEM stuff with good luck, but I cleaned the vinyl something like four times. You also want to lay everything down flat to spray it, and try and keep it from drying too fast. Slower drying helps paint adhesion.

You might consider getting an upholstery kit from 914 AP, Morphenspectra is his screen name, and you can find his products in the Member Vendor section.
Ericv1
QUOTE(9146986 @ May 30 2010, 11:42 AM) *

SEM makes paint for vinyl in many colors. The problem is cleaning the old vinyl so the paint will stick. Years of Armoral and vinyl treatments can impregnate the material, and can cause adhesion problems. If you do it, you've got to get the right cleaner.

I have used the SEM stuff with good luck, but I cleaned the vinyl something like four times. You also want to lay everything down flat to spray it, and try and keep it from drying too fast. Slower drying helps paint adhesion.

You might consider getting an upholstery kit from 914 AP, Morphenspectra is his screen name, and you can find his products in the Member Vendor section.

+1 0n SEM products. I've used their vinyl paint, acid etch, high build primer, base coat, and clear coat with great success. Whenever you paint, it's all in the prep.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Jul 17 2010, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ May 30 2010, 11:42 AM) *

+1 0n SEM products. I've used their vinyl paint, acid etch, high build primer, base coat, and clear coat with great success. Whenever you paint, it's all in the prep.

Completely agree! We use them for our driving simulators, which see alot of butts. I recommend using Scotch-Brite to 'roughen-up' the had surfaces just a bit.
rick 918-S
SEM is a good product. A word of caution. Back pads have the seat belt rubbing on them every time you use them You will eventually wear the dye off the back pad where the belt rubs. I'm not a fan of dyed back pads.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 30 2010, 08:02 AM) *

My interior is in really good shape - no cracks, no rips, but no longer looks black. When it's wet from wiping it down - looks great - but after it dries, it gets dull and grey looking. Is there something out there someone has had good luck with that goes on like Amorall (or similar) but doesn't leave that wet greasy feel and look. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ed

Ed,

The other responses have merit. But.....NEVER, EVER use Armoral on the seats, or other interior panels. The seat will slide you under the belt in extreme braking, and the windows will soak up the fumes. Armorall may have it's place (?), but not in the interior. And, it has no protective value. Don't use it.

You may also wish to check products from Griots & Meguiars. I've had good luck with both.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.