Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible 914-6 Candidate for "The Few, the Rare..."
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
Okay - as the title says - see below - but first ......
... So if I had been a rich kid in the 70's, this would've been my heartthrob 914-6 to order - 8410 (L98P) Blue Metallic with Beige Leather Interior & Mahle Gas Burners - although I might have waited until the 1972 MY & ordered it as a 99 customer color, in order to get the tweaked transmission (oh for a 73 914-6 with sideshifter!), bigger 2.2 or 2.4 motor, fully functional passenger seat, side vented dash, etc.
drooley.gif wub.gif w00t.gif

Click to view attachment

.... I've never seen one, but anyone know if such a 914-6 from any year was produced in that color combo above? confused24.gif

idea.gif

However, in my web cruisin type.gif driving.gif
.... I came across this beauty of a Metallic Blue 914-6 with a black interior (don't recall where now), which looks like either an original & well preserved example for "The Few, the Rare..." - or perhaps a well restored example which may still qualify for that too.
drooley.gif wub.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

... Anyone know it or recognize it - or better yet, own it??? confused24.gif
...... If so, how about we get some pix of it inside & out plus story behind it posted in The Few, the Rare..." shades.gif type.gif

We're waiting!!!!
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
that's 914.0.43.1788

was on eBay in 2005

had 76k miles on the clock

seems to be a very nice car drooley.gif

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 30 2010, 10:54 AM) *

.... I've never seen one, but anyone know if such a 914-6 from any year was produced in that color combo above?

Back in the day - late-ish '70's San Diego - one of my SD-PCA fellow AX competitors had a metallic blue /6. Don't recall the interior color or if the paint was factory, but I believe it was.

I do recall it had a nonstandard exhaust of some description but I don't remember the wheels. Sorry - in those days, when I was at an event, it was to concentrate on _my_ stuff, which was hard enough...
carr914
This is close - a 1972 914-6 # 225 - Just swap the wheels

Click to view attachment

smontanaro
914.043.1788 is my car. smile.gif

Skip
Gustl
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 31 2010, 03:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment

... and the interior shades.gif

biggrin.gif
Gustl
my friend Toni has a very similar car, but black interior ...

Tom_T
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 31 2010, 09:39 AM) *

914.043.1788 is my car. smile.gif

Skip

boldblue.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif

So Skip - do you mean that the VIN is wrong for the 914-6 in my first post? confused24.gif

... or if that Metallic Blue/Black 914-6 I posted in the first post is yours then -
A. It's a beauty! drooley.gif wub.gif

B. How about posting some pix of & background on yours - similar to what Steve G. did on his Sahara Beige 73 2.0 in "The Few, the rare...." nailed topic that Pat Garvey started here in O&H before his "retirement" - giving the 914-6 restorers & lovers out there some drool food - pleeeez! biggrin.gif

I take it you have Illinois plates on it now? confused24.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 31 2010, 07:00 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Whomever that one belongs to - it needs a duster & a cover! ... such a crime! dry.gif

Just tell 'em to send it to me & I'll take proper care of it! biggrin.gif
Thanx TC!!! smile.gif !
Tom_T
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 31 2010, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 30 2010, 10:54 AM) *

.... I've never seen one, but anyone know if such a 914-6 from any year was produced in that color combo above?

Back in the day - late-ish '70's San Diego - one of my SD-PCA fellow AX competitors had a metallic blue /6. Don't recall the interior color or if the paint was factory, but I believe it was.

I do recall it had a nonstandard exhaust of some description but I don't remember the wheels. Sorry - in those days, when I was at an event, it was to concentrate on _my_ stuff, which was hard enough...

Rich - judging from "Salted Roads PA" & "70's-ish San Diego" - it sounds like you did the opposite journey that I did. biggrin.gif

I was born in Pittsburgh (Bridgeville/Upper St. Clair Twp. near where Dr. Evil is moving), then we moved to San Diego at 10/11 in 63 when my Dad got a new job with Whittaker down there (they moved to Indy in 71 & I stayed to finish college), & have been in OC since finishing under grad. in LA at that cardinal & gold school in 74.

What town are you in now? confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 31 2010, 10:52 AM) *

my friend Toni has a very similar car, but black interior ...

wub.gif Love that Metallic Blue & Mahles on a 914-6!!!! drooley.gif
Thanx Wolfgang! biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 1 2010, 02:22 AM) *

What town are you in now?

Not to sidetrack the thread _too_ much -- was born in central Illinois, (was) moved to East County San Diego around high-school age. Lived there about 20 years, eventually moving to Lost Angeles for work, and Lake Tahoe area (same). In 2003 we moved to SEPA - northwest of Philadelphia, right around the Lansdale interchange of the Northeast Extension.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jun 1 2010, 02:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 1 2010, 02:22 AM) *

What town are you in now?

Not to sidetrack the thread _too_ much -- was born in central Illinois, (was) moved to East County San Diego around high-school age. Lived there about 20 years, eventually moving to Lost Angeles for work, and Lake Tahoe area (same). In 2003 we moved to SEPA - northwest of Philadelphia, right around the Lansdale interchange of the Northeast Extension.

It's my thread Rich - so you go right ahead & sidetrack & hijack all you damn well please ole buddy! biggrin.gif

I'm always glad to find fellow Teeners from back in the 70's - especially when paths have/will cross - since I've had my one & only since Dec. 1975 & spent most of that year looking for one, & still went to SD regularly Back then.

Which HS & what year grad were you? ... ditto college? ... any sports? confused24.gif

I was Uni `70 (66-70); then off to LA 70-74 (BS Arch. USC), then to OC - Huntington Beach 74-85 & Orange since 85; with an MBA stint 84-86 (UCLA MBA 86), & I played JV/Frosh Football 66-68, Soccer HS 68 - USC 74, Rugby USC 70 - 1st Div Club (HB Unicorn 74-75, Irvine Coast 75-88), & Old Boyz up to `96.

So our respective schools may have faced off on some CIF playoff or another if you were there in HS 66-70, or any of the other stuff!? biggrin.gif
Gustl
here's more from Toni's six
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 2 2010, 09:03 AM) *

here's more from Toni's six

Thanx Wolfgang! smile.gif
- is that an aftermarket cloth material in the seat insets?

Nice custom license plate! biggrin.gif
... I didn't realize they were available in Euro-land with special numbers/letters.
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 2 2010, 11:18 PM) *

- is that an aftermarket cloth material in the seat insets?

that's factory original - but not for the 914 biggrin.gif
he had to renew the seats and decided for this one
looks great, but of course it's not original for the 914-6

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 2 2010, 11:18 PM) *

Nice custom license plate! biggrin.gif
... I didn't realize they were available in Euro-land with special numbers/letters.

well - it's possible, but you have to meet some rules
it's not as "flexible" as in the states

beerchug.gif
sixerdon
Looking at the interior, it appears to have a fixed passenger seat with the later retractable seat belts. I have never seen that combo in a '72 4 or 6. Is there an explanation?
Don
914Sixer
The seat belt anchors where in place and it was an easy update. Cars manufactured after 1 Jan 1972 had the retractable belts.
sixerdon
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 16 2010, 04:19 AM) *

The seat belt anchors where in place and it was an easy update. Cars manufactured after 1 Jan 1972 had the retractable belts.

I understand that. But combined with a fixed passenger seat? The car is described as a '72/6 but the interior has the seat of a '70/'71. Look at the picture.
Don

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.