Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ECU i.d. please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
The seller of this ECU has no idea what year it is from or what the number is. Did the different model ECUs have a different color sticker? Seems I have seen green and maybe gray. Is there a chart or something posted somewhere with this info?

IPB Image
Tom_T
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 30 2010, 08:21 AM) *

The seller of this ECU has no idea what year it is from or what the number is. Did the different model ECUs have a different color sticker? Seems I have seen green and maybe gray. Is there a chart or something posted somewhere with this info?

IPB Image

Part no. is showing below the Bosche on the red sticker, so see if you can do some CSI forensics to pull/coax out the full part no., then check that against the p/n in the 914 PET (free download pdf parts catalog from the Porsche website at Classics section).

ECU's vary by engine & model year, won't run properly with wrong ECU on your 74 2.0 & won't work one from another without a complete EFI change - & you'll want to keep your 74 2.0 D-jet true to LE configuration, or risk losing big bucks in the value of it once restored/repaired.
detoxcowboy
you can run the 75-76 2.0 ecu in your '74 too.. it has the fuel overrun shutoff that the 74 did not.. I ran one for 2 years in my 74 perfectly.
detoxcowboy
confused24.gif if it helps you decide to buy, my 74 2.0 ecu has an orange sticker..
roadster fan
Hello,

The part number may be on the circuit board inside the case, but you will have to open it up by prying all the tabs around the lid.

If the number is not silkscreened on the pc board, you can look at the photos on the site below and figure out which one you have. shouldnt be too dificult since all the versions have some unique features on the mother boards and the daughter boards.

My early board ecu (015) did not have the number on the board but I was able to id based on no enrichment knob and the extra fuel shutoff for overrun circuit.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Bran Anders D-Jet site
poorsche914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 30 2010, 11:51 AM) *

Part no. is showing below the Bosche on the red sticker, so see if you can do some CSI forensics to pull/coax out the full part no., then check that against the p/n in the 914 PET (free download pdf parts catalog from the Porsche website at Classics section).

ECU's vary by engine & model year, won't run properly with wrong ECU on your 74 2.0 & won't work one from another without a complete EFI change - & you'll want to keep your 74 2.0 D-jet true to LE configuration, or risk losing big bucks in the value of it once restored/repaired.

Thanks, Tom. Have no fear I will be putting the correct ECU in the car. Just have to find one dry.gif This one is for sale so I do not have it to do any CSI work smile.gif
I have never had reason to check into it before but remembered seeing different color stickers on different ECU models - so I simply wondered if anyone knew for sure if that is the case.

SOT but a question for you, Tom: concerning my LE, what about things that are "upgrades" or a slightly different way of doing something? Things such as replacing front and rear trunk springs with shocks or using non-stock hinge pivots on the rear rather than the weld on pieces. Is this any different than upgrading the torsion bars or sway bars to aftermarket items? Thanks for your expertise.
poorsche914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 30 2010, 12:41 PM) *

you can run the 75-76 2.0 ecu in your '74 too.. it has the fuel overrun shutoff that the 74 did not.. I ran one for 2 years in my 74 perfectly.

Yes, a '75-76 unit will be my 2nd choice. I had an extra one from a '75 but the guy who bought my '75 came by and claimed it before I had a chance to try it on my car.

I am going to continue my search for the proper ECU while I gather up other needed parts and check over other systems on the car such as brakes and fuel.

Thanks for the info on the sticker color on your '74 ECU. I am going to make a list of ECU models and corresponding sticker colors. So everybody help me out and let me know your ECU and sticker color.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.