Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine sputtering?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GreatPumpkin
ok so starting from a stopped position when in first gear, i start to go and i reach about 4000 rpm and the engine sputters and doesnt pull anymore. shortly after about a second the engine starts to pull again.? why is this ? distributer? coil? i dont know. spark plugs were replaced along with the wires not to long ago,maybe a month ago. answers please...... headbang.gif
GreatPumpkin
also it doesnt matter if its at full throttle or not even at about half when it reache 4k it sputters for a breif period of time.
type2man
QUOTE(GreatPumpkin @ May 30 2010, 01:56 PM) *

also it doesnt matter if its at full throttle or not even at about half when it reache 4k it sputters for a breif period of time.

Is it carbureted or fuel injected?
ericread
There's a lot to think about here. First, we have to determine where the issue is; Fuel, spark or mechanical? Since you have not said anything about an unusual sound, let's eliminate the mechanical issue.

Fuel; At 4K RPM, you're starting to use some fuel. Could it be fuel starvation? If you are accellerating to 4k RPM pretty quickly, the fuel pressure could go low for a bit, then catch up in the few seconds after initially hitting 4k. You're probably not accellerating above 4k the same way you were getting to 4k. So check your feul pressure system.

Another issue could be spark. I have experienced a dist cap that was cracked, but not enough that you could visibly see. However, at speed, the cap deformed a bit and caused a significant misfire. The bad cap gave me problems at specific rpm.

Preliminarily, still think this may be a fuel starvation issue. Fuel pump, fuel filter, pinched fuel line, clogged mesh filter in tank, or something like this.

If you get to 3500 rpm and slowly, very slowly raise the engine speed to 4000rpm, do you still experience this problem?

Just a thought or two...

Eric Read
Maltese Falcon
If it's a d-jet efi, check the condition of your throttle- position unit on the throttle body. You can snap off the plastic dust cover and clean out most of the dust in there. Use a M-A-F sensor aerosol spray on the rest of it and let dry. The problem can be the wear/tear on the rheostat portion of the T-P ; it basically wears out in the most driven area (3K to 4K rpm). My 2.0 had a sputter at 3,600, and I changed it out for a spare...problem solved. I think that I saw someone on World selling repro printed circuits that will allow you to rebuild yours. Might solve your problemo.
Marty
GreatPumpkin
its fuel injected. no matter how slow you accelerate when you get to about 4000 rpm the engine is unresponsive for about a second then keeps accelerating
GreatPumpkin
its fuel injected. no matter how slow you accelerate when you get to about 4000 rpm the engine is unresponsive for about a second then keeps accelerating
detoxcowboy
TPS, Fuel Pressure, but I had simular power vacumn at 3500-4000 experience with a mal-adjusted MPS... ECU gone haywire??

Does it sputer at 4000rpm underload only or will it do the same sitting in the driveway in nuetral..?? That would be a tell..

The TPS does not care about vaccum..

Mps issue: part load..

Failed aneroid cell: Causes the car to run rich at idle, with poor part-load response.

Maladjustment: Many owners and mechanics have tried to adjust the sensor by removing the epoxy-covered "plug" and turning the adjustment screw inside - this often results in unpredictable behavior
underthetire
Advance sticking in the dizzy. Put some light machine oil in the felt under the rotor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.