Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squealing like a pig
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timofly
I am scratching my head.

Every now and then, driving along above 20 mph, I get a squeal that sometimes wavers up and down and sometimes is steady. It does not vary with engine RPM, applying brakes makes no difference, CV joints have been checked and are OK, no tire rubs and I even disconnected the speedo cable from the angle drive. The noise comes on at 20 or so, and sometines stops around left turns, but not always. I would have bet that it was CVs, but they checked out OK. I can drive 10 minutes sometimes and all is quiet (well, sort of) and other times it starts as soon as I hit 20-25. No effect on performance.

The only thing left is the speedo angle drive itself. Any other ideas?

While I'm here, any tips on replacing the speedo cable? Looks like a pain, but I may not have a choice. Mine is kinked and doesn't turn at the instrument end when spun with a drill motor at the trans end. (Yes, I turned it backwards!)

ericread
From where do you believe the squeal is originating? The front, the rear or the dash?

I have had a speedo go bad and the speedo squealed very, very loud.

Eric
smg914
My guess.......Rear Wheel Bearing.
detoxcowboy
my guess is your alt. is about to die sooner or later.. i had simailar issue, went on for a couple months, bearings ect.. a vw mechaninc even said my alt. was fine when i first heard the noise.. 2 months later sqreeeeeeeeeach! never even had a charging issue it worked right up to the failure.. just a random sqeak squell.. sometimes quite sometimes following certain constant speed, did not fluctuate with me apply rpms to the engine..
jaxdream
Check your front rotors , could be a bearing loose , rotor rubbing against the caliper / pad.You mentioned that it stops around left turns ?? Check both left and right wheel bearings , cheap , worth a shot.

Jack / Jaxdream
TheCabinetmaker
Could also be a brake rotor backing shield rubbing on rotor.
tod914
Ned Batey in the trunk?
timofly
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 30 2010, 09:22 PM) *

Ned Batey in the trunk?

Is Ned missing?

timofly
QUOTE(ericread @ May 30 2010, 05:23 PM) *

From where do you believe the squeal is originating? The front, the rear or the dash?

I have had a speedo go bad and the speedo squealed very, very loud.

Eric

Eric,

It's in the rear end somewhere. I have removed the angle drive and the sprredo cable from the trans, with no effect!

Tim

timofly
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 30 2010, 07:40 PM) *

Could also be a brake rotor backing shield rubbing on rotor.

Thanks, I'll check that in the morning

Tim
timofly
QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 30 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Check your front rotors , could be a bearing loose , rotor rubbing against the caliper / pad.You mentioned that it stops around left turns ?? Check both left and right wheel bearings , cheap , worth a shot.

Jack / Jaxdream

Jack,

The noise wa sthere before I changed rotors and the front bearings. All that checks out OK. I will check the rear rotors and backing plates in the morning.

Tim

timofly
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 30 2010, 07:21 PM) *

my guess is your alt. is about to die sooner or later.. i had simailar issue, went on for a couple months, bearings ect.. a vw mechaninc even said my alt. was fine when i first heard the noise.. 2 months later sqreeeeeeeeeach! never even had a charging issue it worked right up to the failure.. just a random sqeak squell.. sometimes quite sometimes following certain constant speed, did not fluctuate with me apply rpms to the engine..

Cowboy,

I thought about that too, but I can't figure why that wouldn't change with RPM. Mine is constant regardless of RPM.

Tim

timofly
QUOTE(smg914 @ May 30 2010, 05:35 PM) *

Good guess, but all 4 wheels spin fine when jacked, with the usual "sssshhh' sound. No grinding or wobble at all. Front bearings are new, but noise preceeded that change.

Tim

smg914
QUOTE(timofly @ May 30 2010, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ May 30 2010, 05:35 PM) *

Good guess, but all 4 wheels spin fine when jacked, with the usual "sssshhh' sound. No grinding or wobble at all. Front bearings are new, but noise preceeded that change.

Tim

Actually, its not a guess. I had the "exact same symptom" with my 914.
charliew
Rev the motor up in neutral to the rpm that the noise is usually happening at to see if it's the alt. Then if it only happens when the car is moving press in the clutch and see if that changes it. You may be riding on the throwout bearing constantly and it is dry. By pressing on the clutch the sound should change. Or get it up to 20 and get the sound and turn the motor off and see if the noise stops. My son bought a sidekick in OK and I drove it all the way to Waco, Tx thinking it had a bad wheel bearing and after about two days I finally found a very high pitched squeal was the wind whistling on the pass door. It would only happen at about 80mph and usually needed some wind blowing outside also. Before we started home I made the car dealer check the front bearings to make sure we could get it home, so I really didn't think a bearing was going to go out but thats exactly what it sounded like.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(timofly @ May 30 2010, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 30 2010, 07:21 PM) *

Cowboy,

I thought about that too, but I can't figure why that wouldn't change with RPM. Mine is constant regardless of RPM.

Tim

I could not figure out why when I had the sqeaky squel that it was not predictable either, sometimes i guess it was allghined right and other times wrong until it failed completely.

but on wheel bearings every time I had a bad one you the squek was constant though louder or more hearable in certain situations..
underthetire
I agree with rear wheel bearing. Mine sounded fine without load and in the air. Once they had a load they were very noisy.
smg914
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 30 2010, 08:46 PM) *

I agree with rear wheel bearing. Mine sounded fine without load and in the air. Once they had a load they were very noisy.

I even checked my rear wheel bearing with a stethoscope while up on a lift. Started the engine put it in gear and with the wheels spinning the bearing sounded perfect. However, put it back on the ground with a load on it, beginning at about 15 or 20 mph all the way to 80 mph, it would squeal like a pig.
timofly
QUOTE(smg914 @ May 31 2010, 08:54 AM) *

I even checked my rear wheel bearing with a stethoscope while up on a lift. Started the engine put it in gear and with the wheels spinning the bearing sounded perfect. However, put it back on the ground with a load on it, beginning at about 15 or 20 mph all the way to 80 mph, it would squeal like a pig.

Weird. How did you finally figure it out? I hate to tear the rear end apart again (just put new rotors on the back).
timofly
QUOTE(charliew @ May 30 2010, 11:27 PM) *

Rev the motor up in neutral to the rpm that the noise is usually happening at to see if it's the alt. Then if it only happens when the car is moving press in the clutch and see if that changes it. You may be riding on the throwout bearing constantly and it is dry. By pressing on the clutch the sound should change. Or get it up to 20 and get the sound and turn the motor off and see if the noise stops. My son bought a sidekick in OK and I drove it all the way to Waco, Tx thinking it had a bad wheel bearing and after about two days I finally found a very high pitched squeal was the wind whistling on the pass door. It would only happen at about 80mph and usually needed some wind blowing outside also. Before we started home I made the car dealer check the front bearings to make sure we could get it home, so I really didn't think a bearing was going to go out but thats exactly what it sounded like.

Charlie,

Thanks. I tried your idea and the noise was there even with the engine off. I thought about wind noise, but it's too loud at low speed. Besides, the 914 is sooo quiet, any wind noise would be obvious.....

Tim
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(timofly @ May 31 2010, 08:59 AM) *

I hate to tear the rear end apart again (just put new rotors on the back).

Is that when the sound started?
timofly
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 31 2010, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(timofly @ May 31 2010, 08:59 AM) *

I hate to tear the rear end apart again (just put new rotors on the back).

Is that when the sound started?

Nope, it was the same before and after: transient and random.
smg914
QUOTE(timofly @ May 31 2010, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ May 31 2010, 08:54 AM) *

Weird. How did you finally figure it out? I hate to tear the rear end apart again (just put new rotors on the back).

Kind of like you, I tried everything to figure out what was causing the squeal and the only thing left that it could have possibly been was the right rear wheel bearing. So out of desperation I changed the bearing and that cured it. By the way, you don't have to remove the trailing arm to replace the rear bearing.
Tom_T
It could also be something as simple as a slipping fan/alt. belt - especially if it got glazed! I'd check that first, since it will "sing to its own tune" regardless of engine speed often! drunk.gif
timofly
Well, thanks to all for the responses. The problem persists after replacing the left rear wheel bearing, so the right one is next.

Will advise thrill of victory or agony of defeat.
ripper911

Besides, the 914 is sooo quiet, any wind noise would be obvious.....

Your 914 is quiet? not mine!!! aktion035.gif

timofly
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jun 30 2010, 01:57 AM) *

Besides, the 914 is sooo quiet, any wind noise would be obvious.....

Your 914 is quiet? not mine!!! aktion035.gif

Only when it's on jack stands in the barn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.