Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Round (4?) on Emblems.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
Okay, so I got more feedback on the emblems after WCR. A good friend called me up and gave me a few pointers, another kind individual took their emblem to an experienced machinist that was more than happy to look it over and give some quick input on how to make them look even better. and... I came across a couple that I'd cut out before and thought "crap! I can do better than that! WTF?" (or something along those lines.)

Nobody complained though. smile.gif So again, I thank everyone that offered input to help out with my learning curve.

I went through three 914-EV emblems trying out all of the new input this past week and a half.

The edges are quite a bit more smooth now, the area between the letters is just the right amount of deep, the polishing is looking a LOT more shiny.

The 9 that is pictured is before I polished it; to show the new machined edges.

The angled 2.7 (has some lint on it that I discovered after I opened the pictures in photoshop) shows the edges after the polish.

The one where I am holding the 2.7 you can see the reflection of my curtains (red) and my blackberry. (black)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
Those look SOOOO good! drooley.gif
SLITS
In here, doubtful.
drunk.gif
They look good, in fact, fantastic ... go for it.

To many Newcastle Brown Ales, Mooseheads, and Gin & tonic to make a qualified decision. drunk.gif , but I think they look good.

Hope the flares arrive in one piece laugh.gif

I'm off to the porcelin god to have a conversation.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pray.gif
type47fan
Works of art, to be sure!Click to view attachment

Here's mine, from another source, that I've had for about 5 years. I think I'll be picking up one from you as a spare or for the interior. I half expect someone to pry this one off at some point.
JRust
Hah I got Slits for him! Thanks for the ECY buddy pray.gif . So Jim you'll have to give him something else for the flares poke.gif
Sleepin
You are an artist Jim!
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif
Tom_T
Looking Gooood!

You might try a small radius at the sharp corners of the letters/numbers (top-right for example of the polished "2") & add a bit more of an eased top edge all around, as you can see in the "914-8" one in the pic above. The factory ones "fall-off" a bit at the edges like that one does, rather than being flat with a small smoothing on yours.

idea.gif
How about a "914 S" for kicks!!?? biggrin.gif
... price for that ^ ?? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
number6
Wow, Jim, that 2.7 looks awesome!
RJMII
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 1 2010, 01:52 AM) *

I have quite the list of emblems that I've already drawn. smile.gif 914S is in the list, and is $50 plus shipping. I believe it's already on my site, too.

These are all custom made. biggrin.gif I do them as they get paid for. (I have 7 of them to do on June 1st, would you like me to cut the 914S out for you? Check out the design on my site and PM me if you would like it modified for you)

Thank you all for all of the compliments! I've really been enjoying making these, and learning and improving them.
Tom_T
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2010, 01:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 1 2010, 01:52 AM) *

I have quite the list of emblems that I've already drawn. smile.gif 914S is in the list, and is $50 plus shipping. I believe it's already on my site, too.

These are all custom made. biggrin.gif I do them as they get paid for. (I have 7 of them to do on June 1st, would you like me to cut the 914S out for you? Check out the design on my site and PM me if you would like it modified for you)

Thank you all for all of the compliments! I've really been enjoying making these, and learning and improving them.

Jim - what's that website?

I probably need to get my resto/repairs done before I get a fun badge though, then figure out how/where to mount it as an "extra" without messing up the to be as original CW resto. But it's good to know where to get them when it's ready! smile.gif

I also want to get a proper OE black anodized metal "2.0" badge for it (it got replaced by plastic one at some point way back in the 70's).
RJMII
Tom, click the 'click here' in my sig. wink.gif Then "emblems" in the left hand column. That list is only a fraction of what I have drawn.

an original CW resto, eh? Do you have a progress/build thread going?
Todd Enlund
Wow, big improvement over the early ones. Great job Jim!
76-914
Not trying to play the devil's advocate here but have you considered clear coating the piece's after they are polished. Polished aluminum will dull quickly when exposed to the elements, although it polishes out very easily and quickly.
RJMII
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:35 AM) *

Not trying to play the devil's advocate here but have you considered clear coating the piece's after they are polished. Polished aluminum will dull quickly when exposed to the elements, although it polishes out very easily and quickly.

Yes, but the prices are going to really need to go up to compensate for all of the extra time and money I keep adding into doing the emblems.

end mill bits, coolant, aluminum, sandpaper, sticky stuff to put them on the cars, rouge/polishing compound, cotton wheels for the bench grinder; now I need to add a paint booth and paint, breathing apparatus... etc that goes with painting.
BKLA
Jim - Like any endeavor, first efforts are always looked upon with criticism in hindsight. It leads to improvement with each following effort.

I was (am) very pleased with my "first run" emblems. You did a great job. The subsequent efforts shown in the pictures above show continuing attention to detail.

Thanks again for my emblems!!!!

I like the polish, but I am considering having them anodized.
underthetire
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2010, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:35 AM) *

Yes, but the prices are going to really need to go up to compensate for all of the extra time and money I keep adding into doing the emblems.

end mill bits, coolant, aluminum, sandpaper, sticky stuff to put them on the cars, rouge/polishing compound, cotton wheels for the bench grinder; now I need to add a paint booth and paint, breathing apparatus... etc that goes with painting.

I am supposed to hook up with my tooling guy this week. Haven't forgotten about you, I asked him for some 1/8 ball end mills so it took just a little longer. These may end up being Carbide though.
RJMII
Jeff, thank you. smile.gif I just got a variety of sizes from Japan as well! NSR-Jamie sent some to me that are too small for what he does; they were extras in his tool box.

Oh, we're also looking at getting set up to do anodizing! I must perfect this process first, though. smile.gif And I've got my rotary table and 4th axis to perfect.
underthetire
Anodizing is a real stinky PIA ! What really might help you with labor is a fine polishing tumbler or two. I've used them in the past and with the right media they come out pretty nice, maybe just a light swipe with the polishing wheel.
charliew
Looking better. Keep at it. I get a lot of my end mills from ebay. For plating I use caswell I think I remember they also cover anodizing. Also I think I bought some single stage clear from eastwood for polished clear. When the finish is polished it takes a real good paint to adhear to it and stay on long term. Think polished aluminum clear finishes for wheels other than anodizing.
Tom_T
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2010, 02:43 AM) *

Tom, click the 'click here' in my sig. wink.gif Then "emblems" in the left hand column. That list is only a fraction of what I have drawn.

an original CW resto, eh? Do you have a progress/build thread going?

I have an info thread & shop estimates thread, but I'm in the strip to shell stage so far & will add a resto thread when I start "real work" on it - which will probably entail me doing far more of the work than I's originally intended! biggrin.gif
FYI -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93838
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=106149

I'll check your links tonight! type.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2010, 02:43 AM) *

Thanx Jim - Got it bookmarked! Great stuff!

For best results on the Aluminum, I'd suggest clear (for silver color), gold or black anodizing - & maybe custom color anodizing for non-conformist ones - over painting them, for protection of the finish. Don't know if you can get small batch equipment, but you could probably outsource batches to keep your investment & costs down.

I think you should change the NARP text from "Porcupine" - to "Poor-ish*"
... then explain below: that the "Tail-draggers" are poor-ish handling! lol-2.gif
...... esp. compared to our beloved 914s & even the Boxster/Cayman middies of today! driving.gif

... ergo, double negatives in the NARP, don't-cha-know! biggrin.gif
d914
so how about something like this??

Click to view attachment
RJMII
The sharp internal corners are quite difficult to get. There would be some rounding out, and it would take quite awhile to do with the smaller bit to minimize the rounding. The cost would be greater, as it would take 2 - 3 times as much time as the ones that I am currently doing, but I'd be happy to make one for you if you are serious about it. smile.gif
charliew
Just tell anyone that wants sharp inside corners that it will be way more affordable if they just do it with a file.
RJMII
Okay. smile.gif

What Charlie said!

I'm still happy to cut it out if you're serious about it.
RJMII
I'm doing a run of emblems this weekend. I have 5 914-GT emblems to cut out, and a 2.2. And 7 of one kind that are hush hush...

If anyone else would like me to cut out an emblem this weekend, PM me with what you'd like, and a promise to pay when I finish it and show you pictures for your approval and it passes. (pardon the run on sentence)

I'll be taking a break from emblems for a couple of months after this run is done; and I'll be focusing on the r/c wheels.
BKLA
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 15 2010, 09:05 PM) *

..... I'll be focusing on the r/c wheels.

piratenanner.gif chowtime.gif

zymurgist
I icon12.gif my NARP emblem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.