Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I was a little worried....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
So I did the top end rebuild on my motor. Bored the cylinders, new rings, put her all back together. She fired right up, and runs. First turn she fired up. I was actually a little shocked.

However (isn't there always a however) there is a not so good noise coming from the right side of the engine that varies with engine speed. I shut it down and let her cool overnight. I just checked the valves on that side and they were a little loose, particularly the exhaust. I had those seats done when the heads were off I tightened them down to .006 from about .008. I am hoping that was my noise.

My wife is bringing me dinner. I plan to fire the car up after she gets back and see how it is.

Wish me luck. hands.gif
mipstien
best of luck! after burger.gif
JRust
Good luck man! Always nice to have them fire up first time. Still waiting for mine to fire actually dry.gif
detoxcowboy
beerchug.gif Your nervous caution is good carefull 914 lover.. I know the feeling... About to go though it soon again, I hope I never get so cocky as to be foolish.. may your nervousness soon turn to elated satisfaction.. beerchug.gif
swood
Good luck buddy. Hopefully you didn't leave any tools or extra parts in the crankcase. smile.gif
bugsy0
Good luck - .002 off from ideal wouldn't seem to make such noise that it would worry you, but no doubt your ears and paranoia are on high alert. All you can do now from outside the engine is ensure plenty of oil pressure and that it rotates "freely". Trust but verify as Ronny would say. Let us know!
KaptKaos
Yep - sumthin is definitely amiss.

Euro911 is gonna swing by and give me some helps.

I need a fresh set of ears/eyes on this one. I am too close to the trees.
VaccaRabite
Did you update to elephant foot adjusters? If so, they might be smacking the inside of the valve cover.

Also, it is possible that the nut holding the rockers to the head is loosening up. That makes a huge clatter clatter, and take only a few seconds to fix when found.

Zach
yeahmag
I had to clearance my valve covers for the swivel adjusters too...

smash.gif
tradisrad
no comment on the issue you are having, but I must say you have one fine looking famnily! wink.gif
KaptKaos
It's a family photo. I think it came out great! Don't you?

Here's a larger version:

IPB Image
jaxdream
I see you have a good dental plan. aktion035.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
KaptKaos
So here's the deal. The flappers that go aft of the fan shroud and just under the top tin are making all the noise. Particularly the one over the oil cooler.

If I rotate the shaft that holds the flappers rearward and hold it, voila, no noise!

So I need to take that damn thing out. I don't know why I put it back in anyways, the bellows thing has never been connected on this motor anyway.

Is there an easy way to take the top tin off, or at least get enough clearance, with the motor in the car to remove that thing?

TIA
Cap'n Krusty
Unless you plan on another rebuild real soon, DO NOT take the flaps out. They're air guides, and are necessary for proper routing of the cooling air. You want them in the default position. Did you install the plastic bushings where the shaft passes through the fan housing?

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
They're in there, but likely worn. I didn't replace them when I rebuilt.

If I can figure a way to rotate that shaft rearward and leave it there, I'd be happy.
swood
Why is it flapping so much? Is the spring shot too?
detoxcowboy
Dissonnect and Tuck the oil cooler side flap under the tabs on the oil cooler tin, that would be a semi-permant default. It is common for some people to do that, it was done by the p.o. of my car and when I saw it it confused me, found out by asking that it is common.. Or even better fix it and buy a bellows, you can find new ones on Samba for $80-$90..
underthetire
Isn't the lever forward the normal position? I thought the bellows pulled it back for warm up?

Think I might have a good used bellows.
KaptKaos
I didn't have bellows on there before.

I rigged it for now. I rotated the shaft toward the rear of the car, which should provide max airflow to the oil cooler (at least I think so). I secured the shaft with a wire for now.

I'll likely leave it like this for a little while. I need to set the timing and adjust the carbs.
underthetire
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 4 2010, 09:56 PM) *

I didn't have bellows on there before.

I rigged it for now. I rotated the shaft toward the rear of the car, which should provide max airflow to the oil cooler (at least I think so). I secured the shaft with a wire for now.

I'll likely leave it like this for a little while. I need to set the timing and adjust the carbs.

Better make sure. I thought it was the other way. Mine springs forward.
Gint
There's a classic forum thread on the flaps subject BTW.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=5&t=30107
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.