Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just bought a fairly original 75
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Type 47
Except for a short absence from 1989-1995 I've owned a 914 (7) since 1977. I've had a 1974 modded 914 and a parts car for a while but took apart the 74 about 3 years ago...This week end I bought a 75 2.0 that was owned by the 2nd owner for the last 29 years and is an excellent 'survivor".

A 914 was my daily driver from1977 to 1988 and at some point I considered myself a semi expert on 914's but since then I've diverted my automotive attention to other more current automotive technologies and now I would consider myself more than moderately informed about the 914 but very eager to get back to knowing more...with the help of the experts here.

The new 914 is in such good survivor shape that I don't know if I should just keep it the way it is or do a full resto on it. It's got some light surface rust in places and a small dent on the drivers door...some othe little issues, but damn most everything works and nothing has been unbolted from the car, from the factory, except the fuel injection (replaced by twin Webbers) and the original wheels are gone.
Tom_T
welcome.png

You can touch-up/repaint up to 20 or 25% of the car, and still have it qualify for preservation class. Check the national & your local PCA Zone's Concours rules to be sure. If it's a nice survivor, then it might be worth preserving & fixing it up as is, even if you never want to enter it in a concours event.

However, that would also necessitate your going back to a factory EFI on it, replacing the wheels as original & any other minor changes to get it right & back to "as original" condition.

So many 914s have been modded, that it may be well worthwhile to continue this one in original condition, but everyone needs to make the choice for themselves & their preferences.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
tod914
A paintless dent removal wizzard for your dent. Then go from there. Can goto an automotive paint supply shop and have them mix you up a can of single stage paint for any touch up for your surface rust areas. Looking foward to seeing shots of the car. Keep it original if you can!
Bleyseng
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
I was hoping to see some pics.....
Type 47
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 2 2010, 02:26 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
I was hoping to see some pics.....

agree.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Type 47
I found some history in the paperwork...and the contact info for the 2nd owner who owned it from May 1981-May 2010...29 years. I called him today and got more info.

He bought the car when it was 6 years old with less than 60k miles on it. He said he only put about 4k miles on it in the last 29 years, its showing 62k on the clock.

It turns out that the owner had bought a 72' in 1978...I bought my 1st 914 in 77' a 73'. He talked about going to SCCA auto x's and races during the 80's at the same events I was going to then; i'm sure we have cross paths in the past.

I talked about people I knew back then that autox'd 914's and he knew them.

He is going to get all the original stuff from the car, that he still has, and let me have it.

I ask about maintenance and he said that he had the brakes redone about 2-3 years ago and replace the original tires in the early 90's...Michelin XZX's. I had already called the dealer I bought it from and ask what they had done to it to get it ready for sale...b/c I noticed it had new rotors and brake lines on it. they said they didn't do anything to it (surprise). The rotors look like they were put on yesterday and the tires have full tread and even have the littel rubber tits (for lack of a better discription) on the sidewalls.

I'm excited to find this car but also to know some of its history...for someone like me who has seen a 914 rusted so bad that it was broken in half, spent winter nights replacing a clutch in my drive way, busting off frozen bleeder valves (rear calipers) hacking an install of a cheap aftermarket sway bar, and driving 2 winters without heat (man those SS exchangers were pricey back in the day).

Everything works on this car, including the seat belt buzzers...except for the clock and the clock light bulb is toast. Nothing has been removed from the car except for the fuel injection, fuel pump, and the brake lines, and rotors. everything else was installed at the factory.
tod914
Nice looking car! Don't mess with the paint, looks real nice as is smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.