Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matsuda collection Limited Edition coming to autoatlanta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Well we have purchased probably the most famous Limited Edition model of all, the Matsuda collection black and yellow Limited edition. http://www.2-shores-classics.com/garage/cu...133&lang=us Thanks to Jeff Bowlesby, we were able to negotiate the purchase. I am leaving for Germany monday June 7th to take delivery and drive through Europe, visiting the original vwporsche914 factory along the way. We will add it to our current collection which features the matching car: http://porschebahn.wordpress.com/2008/11/0...-head-concours/

Please look for upcoming photos of the trip and the delivery of the car to the U.S.
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif

awesome!

but the nardi steering wheel is "100% original and correct"? (as the ad states? confused24.gif
SirAndy
Nice!

Now all you need to finish that collection is a Grasshopper LE ...
shades.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 2 2010, 11:18 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

awesome!

but the nardi steering wheel is "100% original and correct"? (as the ad states? confused24.gif

that is a frisbee to me! First thing to be taken off of the car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I guess that we could make one. Guy did a good job!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2010, 12:03 PM) *

Nice!

Now all you need to finish that collection is a Grasshopper LE ...
shades.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image

BigDBass
Dibs on the incorrect euro tail lights!
kkid
OMG, it has "Leaded Fuel Only" sticker on it. I haven't see that for a long time. It reminds me of my dad's 510 in the 70's.

SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 2 2010, 12:19 PM) *

That 'Guy' was Jeff Bowlsby biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what he did with his Grasshopper, i haven't seen it in years but the car was done very well. It actually looked great in person, the pictures don't do it justice.

driving.gif Andy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
So that is a pic of the car! Jeff made one and sold it to a guy in Canada. I had never seen a pic of the actual car and thought that you posted a pic of another one that someone made. Neat looking though.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2010, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 2 2010, 12:19 PM) *

That 'Guy' was Jeff Bowlsby biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what he did with his Grasshopper, i haven't seen it in years but the car was done very well. It actually looked great in person, the pictures don't do it justice.

driving.gif Andy

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(kkid @ Jun 2 2010, 12:22 PM) *

OMG, it has "Leaded Fuel Only" sticker on it. I haven't see that for a long time. It reminds me of my dad's 510 in the 70's.

This is a Japanese equipped car. The rear euro lenses are correct for it and the front side markers are different than the usa type and made just for the japanese market. notice that it does not even have retractible seat belts!
rick 918-S
Nice score George! aktion035.gif
tat2dphreak
I think it's really cool!
MDG
Nice George!

Don't know if it's the same car that Jeff did but there has been a 'Grasshopper' for sale in New Brunswick for about 2 years . . . not sure if it finally sold or not. I think it was a small dealership who also sold 550 and 356 replicas
SirAndy
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 2 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Don't know if it's the same car that Jeff did but there has been a 'Grasshopper' for sale in New Brunswick for about 2 years . . .

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
MDG
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2010, 05:36 PM) *

Don't know if it's the same car that Jeff did but there has been a 'Grasshopper' for sale in New Brunswick for about 2 years . . .

Ha! I was actually searching for it. It was on autotrader.ca for like 2 years and now I can't find it. Maybe Ian Stott in Moncton will know who this company is. I believe they were in Fredericton. The replicas they sell aren't Beck or Intermeccanica. It was *something* Ranch . . . Thunder ranch maybe
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 2 2010, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2010, 05:36 PM) *

It was *something* Ranch . . .

Probably something more like "Rust Haven Ranch" up in Canada! lol-2.gif

... I should talk shades.gif - with my sunny SoCal Rust Maven! av-943.gif
Drums66
Cooool.....914 brother,I can go along?
I'll even let you buy my ticket laugh.gif bye1.gif

P.S. forgot, have to be in traffic court that day(june 7th)
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 2 2010, 06:56 PM) *

Actually, Thunder Ranch is an American company - these guys were sales agents I believe.

Of the three 914s that I own(ed) the most rusted, by far, is the one that came from San Francisco. In fact I just pulled some of the California junk from the passenger footwell on the weekend. Some box that the speedo cable routed through that's part of the CA emission system I think. It's somewhere in the field behind my garage - if you want it I'll go find it before the wolves and polar bears get it.

Don't discount what salt air does to your cars down there. Now Arizona on the other hand . . . .
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 2 2010, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 2 2010, 06:56 PM) *

Actually, Thunder Ranch is an American company - these guys were sales agents I believe.

Of the three 914s that I own(ed) the most rusted, by far, is the one that came from San Francisco. In fact I just pulled some of the California junk from the passenger footwell on the weekend. Some box that the speedo cable routed through that's part of the CA emission system I think. It's somewhere in the field behind my garage - if you want it I'll go find it before the wolves and polar bears get it.

Don't discount what salt air does to your cars down there. Now Arizona on the other hand . . . .

Well Mike, you've seen what happened to my 73 2L just sitting in my dry SoCal garage for the last 25 years, going in just 3 years after a rustoration & repaint! dry.gif

They have flash floods in AZ & the Southwest too! No place is truly safe from rust on any of the pre-77/pre-rust-treated Porsches unfortunately! sad.gif

... Oh & Coyotes too - both the animal & drug/illegals runner types, & Havalinas/Peccaries & Rattlesnakes - Oh my!!!! ohmy.gif

Fortunately mine is a pre-EGR & smog exempt 73 2.0 - so I won't need the rust-box .... Thanx anyway though! biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 2 2010, 11:19 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

awesome!

Feel free to throw that frisbee my way !! lol-2.gif
FourBlades

That is very nice!

Did you remember to check the hell hole before buying it? I have heard they
sometimes have a little bit of rust there.

biggrin.gif

John
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 2 2010, 08:13 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

awesome!

agree.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(kkid @ Jun 2 2010, 02:22 PM) *

My LE Bee has that sticker on it still and also some kind of tag from Belgium. I wonder if that makes it worth more? confused24.gif George.......

Shoe
nsr-jamie
I actually visited the Matsuda collection around 10 years ago or so and it was absolutely incredible!! I couldn't believe all the cars and there was not even a single customer in there. I was the only person in there for hours. I remember he had a yellow 916 too and the other cars were so incredible. He also had a Ferrari museum too which closed down.... sad.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Funny how years ago we all wanted this aftermarket "STUFF" for our 914s and now we want to get rid of it! Scotty you really want that nardi? I was going to put it on e bay!

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 2 2010, 06:13 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

awesome!

dr914@autoatlanta.com
so yours is a euro limited edition??

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 2 2010, 11:04 PM) *

My LE Bee has that sticker on it still and also some kind of tag from Belgium. I wonder if that makes it worth more? confused24.gif George.......

Shoe

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 3 2010, 04:32 AM) *

I actually visited the Matsuda collection around 10 years ago or so and it was absolutely incredible!! I couldn't believe all the cars and there was not even a single customer in there. I was the only person in there for hours. I remember he had a yellow 916 too and the other cars were so incredible. He also had a Ferrari museum too which closed down.... sad.gif

So was the limited edition there?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Thank you for the suggestion. Please what is the hell hole and what should I be looking at when first purchasing a 914? "HELL" and "914" should not go together!!!!

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jun 2 2010, 06:24 PM) *

That is very nice!

Did you remember to check the hell hole before buying it? I have heard they
sometimes have a little bit of rust there.

biggrin.gif

John

watsonrx13
Congratulations George... Enjoy your trip in Europe.

--Rob
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(' date='Jun 3 2010, 01:20 PM @ Jun 3 2010, 01:20 PM) *

so yours is a euro limited edition??

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 2 2010, 11:04 PM) *

Shoe

I have no idea, was hoping you would know. I will get pics of the tags under the hood & post them or send them to you.
tomeric914
What is the red box under the glove compartment for?
kkid
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 3 2010, 12:43 PM) *

What is the red box under the glove compartment for?

That's a standard equipment in order to survive in the blood thirsty metro Tokyo traffic.
A flare and a flashlight?
Nürburg Nomad
Am i the only one who noticed the 70-71 sliding carpeted footrest block in a 74 that has a sliding passenger seat from the factory?
bandjoey
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 3 2010, 01:04 AM) *

Shoe

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/
Check it out Don. You might be a rich man! biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 3 2010, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 3 2010, 01:04 AM) *

Shoe

Check it out Don. You might be a rich man! biggrin.gif

I am definately already rich Bill, I have a great group of 914 enthusiast for friends and I know Buttercup's mommy! aktion035.gif
bandjoey
grouphug.gif grouphug.gif
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 4 2010, 03:20 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 3 2010, 04:32 AM) *

So was the limited edition there?

YES, and other 914's too
stephenaki
So, where in Germany is the car at?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
copersucar
Wow..wow..keep those pictures comming !!!! drooley.gif

Alex.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2010, 12:52 PM) *

IPB Image

Looks like a fun trip, but where's the Liederhosen (sp?) & Suspenders & Little Brimmed Felt Hat?? confused24.gif

Somebody needs to get George a pack of white Haynes crew socks or something - STAT!!!! biggrin.gif

Seriously though - I'm no CanAm expert, & I thought that the LEs came with painted Mahle 4-lugs, but those are painted Fuchs 2L alloys - wussup wid dat!!?? confused24.gif confused24.gif

I ask because I bought a set of 5 Fuchs 2Ls last year to restore to 2L OE finish to "recreate" what originally came on my 73 2L - which all had been painted Phoenix Red like a Cremescicle - including a good pale green zinc-chromate primer on the wheels first - that I assumed was done by a DAPO or DAP+AD.

However, if they were a legit option on Cremescicles instead of Mahles, should I not F them up & instead save them for a LE guy needing them, & be looking for another set of Fuchs 2Ls to restore for mine?? confused24.gif

This be they .... BTW another DAPO did paint them all over with silver & all but the one in the pic below had been stripped of the silver by the seller/PO ....

Click to view attachment

George, Jeff, DaveP, others - Plz weigh in & advise me before I do something stupid - if indeed these wheels need to be preserved for "the cause" as is!!?? confused24.gif confused24.gif

If the latter, then I could always trade to an LE guy/gal needing them, if they sourced a comparable restorable set of OE finish Fuchs 2Ls I suppose. idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Jeff will give you the straight scoop but these fuchs were specially ordered for the matsuda car. All of the others had mahles. Also side vinyl was specially ordered for this car as well

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 23 2010, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2010, 12:52 PM) *

IPB Image

Looks like a fun trip, but where's the Liederhosen (sp?) & Suspenders & Little Brimmed Felt Hat?? confused24.gif

Somebody needs to get George a pack of white Haynes crew socks or something - STAT!!!! biggrin.gif

Seriously though - I'm no CanAm expert, & I thought that the LEs came with painted Mahle 4-lugs, but those are painted Fuchs 2L alloys - wussup wid dat!!?? confused24.gif confused24.gif

I ask because I bought a set of 5 Fuchs 2Ls last year to restore to 2L OE finish to "recreate" what originally came on my 73 2L - which all had been painted Phoenix Red like a Cremescicle - including a good pale green zinc-chromate primer on the wheels first - that I assumed was done by a DAPO or DAP+AD.

However, if they were a legit option on Cremescicles instead of Mahles, should I not F them up & instead save them for a LE guy needing them, & be looking for another set of Fuchs 2Ls to restore for mine?? confused24.gif

This be they .... BTW another DAPO did paint them all over with silver & all but the one in the pic below had been stripped of the silver by the seller/PO ....

Click to view attachment

George, Jeff, DaveP, others - Plz weigh in & advise me before I do something stupid - if indeed these wheels need to be preserved for "the cause" as is!!?? confused24.gif confused24.gif

If the latter, then I could always trade to an LE guy/gal needing them, if they sourced a comparable restorable set of OE finish Fuchs 2Ls I suppose. idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif

john grier
George, that is great, I hope you had a smilie_pokal.gif time,

I really enjoyed seeing the Georgia plates on it.
Wonder what all the europeans thought when they saw that.

John
davep
I believe that in some markets that the Fuchs came painted as the LE Mahles did. I would not alter the painted Fuchs if I had them. Remember that the LE was really a North American version. There were other versions such as the GT in Germany, and I believe the SL in Japan.
Tom_T
QUOTE(john grier @ Jun 23 2010, 04:30 PM) *

I really enjoyed seeing the Georgia plates on it.
Wonder what all the europeans thought when they saw that.

Probably "Cracker"! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 23 2010, 04:39 PM) *

I believe that in some markets that the Fuchs came painted as the LE Mahles did. I would not alter the painted Fuchs if I had them. Remember that the LE was really a North American version. There were other versions such as the GT in Germany, and I believe the SL in Japan.

Thanx Dave. As George said, maybe Jeff can also shed more light. It makes sense that if the Matsushida SL could be ordered with painted Fuchs 2L wheels, then so could one from anywhere else in the world one would think. idea.gif

On my 5 wheels - 3 are date stamped 11/73 & 2 12/73 - so I supposed they could've been fitted to a 74 MY LE Creamsicle. confused24.gif

If I don't strip & restore them to "standard OE finish (satin background with semi-polished petals & rims & anodized), then my problem will be try to trade them or sell/buy another set of "regular OE finish" Fuchs @L's for mine to restore/refinish.

That's because mine is an early-73 MY (8/72 mfgr.) 914-2.0/"914 S" which came with the wheels as part of the full compliment of the Appearance & Performance Groups' options (Sport & Comfort groups in Euro-speak).

I just don't think orange wheels will pass CW muster on my L80E 73! biggrin.gif
veltror
That is the first time I have seen such an empty space outside Mittelmotor...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(veltror @ Jun 24 2010, 01:49 AM) *

That is the first time I have seen such an empty space outside Mittelmotor...

Michael is a very genuine and soft spoken guy, no wonder his business is booming. It was at the end of the day and all of the cars were inside.
JeffBowlsby
Tom, everythig I know is here:

The photos I have of the 2 914 SLs (Japan market) both have painted FUCHS.

USA LEs and ROW GTs have the Mahles.

I have seen other wheels painted but they all appear to be customized and not factory original.

George, you say the wheels for 14438 were special ordered? I think they were part of the factory package for Japan, but I have no proof, just the two Japan cars in photos.

The document below is from the 1974 S+T manual which depicts a prototype 914 Can Am, but the car obviously changed details when it went into production, so we cannot be sure that this document is accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.