Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F'n squeaks are gonna do me in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
So, replaced a couple seals around the Targa, re-used some old ones, now my car seals up pretty well. Most of the wind noise is gone, and no more unwanted fresh air on my face. Problem is, now the damn side windows squeaks like a mouse in a trap. I remember some stuff called seal glide, but wondering what others have used or are using to help. Am I chasing a lost cause? I t seems to be from the windows against the top, and the rear of the targa.
Spoke
I've used silicon before. There is movement at the seal so it will eventually start squeaking again when the goop wears off.
markb
Before you do anything else, try good old fashioned Vasaline. Works wonders.
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 2 2010, 11:19 AM) *

I t seems to be from the windows against the top, and the rear of the targa.

The top has two rubber blocks that sit in a recess on the targa bar latches. Get some thin felt and glue it onto the rubber blocks.

The squeaks are from the rubber block rubbing against the metal on the latches. The felt will permanently rid you of the noise.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
underthetire
Very cool. Off to the fabric shop I go. I will try Vaseline or silicon to. I think thats all the sill glide was.
jsayre914
i replaced the side seals, 3 part top seal and the vericle seals, the squeak was gone. then... the back window decided to pop out and rattle even louder than the squeak. av-943.gif

i will never win
Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 2 2010, 11:57 AM) *

Very cool. Off to the fabric shop I go. I will try Vaseline or silicon to. I think thats all the sill glide was.

Top Squeaks are a notorious problem! biggrin.gif

Rather than either Vaseline or silicone - both of which can wreak havoc if they get on your paint (esp. silicone, which soaks all the way through the paint to bare metal leaving the "oil spot" stain unless you sand to bare metal & repaint the spot[s])

- I'd instead suggest something like the Wurth rubber treatment, which is similar to the old squeak be gone type products which you mentioned.

Another old school trick was plain old talcum powder (or baby butt powder with talc in it), if you don't mind the grey look from the white powder on them. Rubber seals used to be shipped that way, but everybody likes the solid black look.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2010, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 2 2010, 11:19 AM) *

I t seems to be from the windows against the top, and the rear of the targa.

The top has two rubber blocks that sit in a recess on the targa bar latches. Get some thin felt and glue it onto the rubber blocks.

The squeaks are from the rubber block rubbing against the metal on the latches. The felt will permanently rid you of the noise.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

Home Depot etc sell felt pad with a sticky back; just cut, peel back, and stick on. Been using this for about ten years.
sean_v8_914
a full cage will also help
DBCooper
Dude, you just had to throw that in, didn't you. Now whenever I hear a squeak I'm going to feel all inadequate, small, and incomplete.
qa1142
Chapstick

Goes on easy, works well
r_towle
The CW approved stuff is pure Glycerin.
You get it at CVS or Walgreens in the hand cream area...its the basis of all hand cream.

Its the consitancy of molasses but its clear.
It adds oil back into the rubber, it cleans it, at makes it supple again.
Best part...its stops squeaks.

If the rubber blocks are indeed the source of the squeek, use some 80 grit sandpaper on the bottom of them every year...shuts them right up.
And some glycerin.

Rich
porschecb
Not to be a dick but I found a way fix most of my problems instead of treating them just to see them again. The car goe's back togeather the way it came apart. Yes I know some parts are no longer around but my air/squeek's are all gone by just shopping around. Invent yes/adapt yes but it can all be done. biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Dr Zog's sex wax- it's good for your stick and guaranteed to stop yer honey from squeeking.

Seriously, try rubbing one or more surfaces in the squeek area with parafin or a candle. It's the same stuff as is in the Dr Zog's surfboard wax.
underthetire
Thanks guys. Went to the store and bought the felt pads, went to CVS and bought petroleum jelly, chap stick, pure glycerin ,a candle, and sun screen (unrelated sort of). The pads are on and my hands are nice and soft from the glycerin. If that doesn't work i'm going down the list. biggrin.gif
underthetire
Just did a 15 mile loop on some of the choppiest roads in the area. The squeak is gone hallelujah. Funny though, get rid of one noise and there is something right behind it. Looks like i'm re-doing my back window on friday and taking apart the drivers door. Once those rattles are fixed whats next.
hot_shoe914
A cheap stereo, 2 good speakers and a 1000 watt amp will fix all your squeaks, rattles and as a bonus it quietens a nagging wife or girl friend. Proven method!

Shoe aktion035.gif
underthetire
Update. Felt works, and Glycerin is the other ticket. It's my new armor all, not that I use armor all, but anyways seals are starting to soften up and my Targa vinyl has never looked so good. I used it on my backpad today since i had it out, and that crunchy feeling is starting to go away. Thank you all that responded and gave good suggestions. I'm keeping the chapstick in the car just in case.
kconway
Can somebody post a photo of a container of the glycerin? I've searched for it in my pharmacy and have never found anything but a tiny tube I think your suppose to apply to your butt for some reason. Even asked the help at the Riteaid and they just gave me a blank stare.
underthetire
CVS, in the pharmacy section skin creams. Not the hand lotion isle.
kconway
Thanks Jeff!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.