Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Shock Insert Recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Now that I'm replacing one of my struts and destroyed a shock in doing so, I'm assuming I should just get two shocks. I have 911 BOGE struts. What are my choices and pluses/minuses of those choices?
kenshapiro2002
Am I correct that the BOGE inserts are oil filled like the originals, and that KYB and Bilsteins are gas? Also, does it make any difference that I have 911 struts? Do the shocks fit either 911/914?
underthetire
Actually, looks like the front KYB's are oil. The rear Kill Your Back are the Gas adjust.
Valy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 2 2010, 02:42 PM) *

Actually, looks like the front KYB's are oil. The rear Kill Your Back are the Gas adjust.

The KYB are all gas.
BOGE are oil.
jaxdream
Are you using the " M " type caliper Boge strut ?? If so I believe that the inserts for the 914 will fit Boge housings ok, you could get the inserts for the 911 , but you have them on a 914 slight difference in damping / rebound, personally iffen it were me , I get a set of Bilsteins for a 914 and install them . Make sure that you specify that they are for a Boge strut housing and not for a Bilstein housing. Good Luck ...

Jack / Jaxdream
kenshapiro2002
Yep...3" spacing on the calipers...that's "M" right? Good point about the 914/911 damping/rebound rates. Thanks.You've been a lot of help lately and it's appreciated.

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jun 2 2010, 06:33 PM) *

Are you using the " M " type caliper Boge strut ?? If so I believe that the inserts for the 914 will fit Boge housings ok, you could get the inserts for the 911 , but you have them on a 914 slight difference in damping / rebound, personally iffen it were me , I get a set of Bilsteins for a 914 and install them . Make sure that you specify that they are for a Boge strut housing and not for a Bilstein housing. Good Luck ...

Jack / Jaxdream

MDG
Yes the Boge are oil filled. My front end is off a mid-80s Carrera and I replaced mine with the Bilsteins that fit the Boge struts. They have been excellent.

m.
jaxdream
Alright dude , go gettcha some Bills !!!!!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
No problem , you been workin your butt off on that car , keep it up and before you know it , you'll know it stem to stern .

Jack / Jaxdream
underthetire
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 2 2010, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 2 2010, 02:42 PM) *

The KYB are all gas.
BOGE are oil.

If the fronts are, they sure don't list gas, just twin tube. The rears are the gas-adjust crap. Never used them myself.
DanT
Koni adjustables anyone?
rfuerst911sc
One of the nice things about the Boge strut housing is that you can order Boge, Koni or Bilstein inserts to fit. I currently have the same 3 " ear 911 struts with the standard oil filled Boge inserts. When I replace these inserts I will get Bilsteins.
kenshapiro2002
Sounds like I;m going for the Bilsteins too.

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jun 2 2010, 08:09 PM) *

One of the nice things about the Boge strut housing is that you can order Boge, Koni or Bilstein inserts to fit. I currently have the same 3 " ear 911 struts with the standard oil filled Boge inserts. When I replace these inserts I will get Bilsteins.

kenshapiro2002
Just pulled out my bad insert. It reads

MADE IN USA
P7 113 7639 1033

The "Made In USA" threw me off. What kinda shock is it?
Cupomeat
Hmmm, Maybe Monroe?

BTW, I went with the adjustable Konis when I did mine and the only available Konis for the 914 are the "sports".

A very nice shock/strut on the track but too hard for the street, even at the softest setting.

I'd go with the bilsteins as the reviews on them would sell me if I was buying and I LOVE them on my 993.

I hope that helps.
DanT
I have had front adjustable Konis on 4 of my 914s and they have all been street/AX/Track cars...
I have never felt the Konis were too stiff when set on the softest setting. JMO. Each persons backside has a different calibration for what is comfortable on the street and what is not.
Had Koni adjustables on my '87 Carrera also (front and rear) and thought that car was great on the street.

My latest '75 914 build will have Koni adjustables both front and rear.
My '70 and '73 also had front and rear Koni adjustables and were very nice street cars.

My 914-6 2.7RS had custom valved Bils front and rear and also worked very well. I just prefer to have some adjustability for a dual use car. smile.gif
Cupomeat
I hear you Dan about the "calibration" of the backside, but I also had Koni adjustables before and they were fine.

The issue is that you cannot buy regular koni adjustables for the 914 anymore, as they only offer the "sports".
ConeDodger
Koni adjustables in all four corners on mine. Set soft they are just fine. I set full soft for street and full stiff for autocrossing.
kenshapiro2002
Monroe makes inserts for 911 struts?

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jun 3 2010, 11:38 AM) *

Hmmm, Maybe Monroe?

BTW, I went with the adjustable Konis when I did mine and the only available Konis for the 914 are the "sports".

A very nice shock/strut on the track but too hard for the street, even at the softest setting.

I'd go with the bilsteins as the reviews on them would sell me if I was buying and I LOVE them on my 993.

I hope that helps.

kenshapiro2002
Koni adjustables as inserts in BOGE struts? I'm confused. I thought they were replacement struts only.
Cupomeat
Well, I am not sure, but it is very likely. I'll see if I can validate that they made them for that application.

They were one of the 2 OEM providers for 964 and 993 cars.

jaxdream
Yes Koni makes adjustables for the 914 Boge strut , which is the same internal size as your 911 M struts ,same threading pattern at top .With the Bilsteins and the Konis youmay have to borrow or fab up a spanner wrench to tighten them up , possibly a big pipe wrench might work if careful , others may chine in on the procedure of this and possibly some spanner solutions , which ever strut insert you chose , check the availability of the spanner. Good luck ....

Jack / Jaxdream
DanT
a nice pipe wrench, a big set of water pump pliers, or a spanner will all work.

Konis set on full soft I find no harsher than a set of Bil Sports...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.