Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: asking advise on carpet install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver74insocal
hello everybody!!
im gonna be installing some carpet soon and was wondering if anyone has used something less messy and permanent then glue like maybe industrial strength velcro?
any tips if i do have to use glue?
thanks in advance fellas, Dave
IronHillRestorations
Be sure to clean off the old adhesive, or the new won't stick very well, that's the hard part. Use a good adhesive for carpet.
detoxcowboy
what ever you use, seems the spray adhesives works well, time the tackiness before getting started, spray something outside the car, this will also alot you a check of the spray pattern, also spray one section at a time, and each time you go to start spraying a new section clear the nozzle outside the car with a brush (or your fingers) and do a test/check spray, the spray adhesives tend to dry up fast on the tio and then when you go to use it again it comnes out sideways and gets in your eye and all over your window and dash blink.gif blink.gif . what you do not want is going to fast with the carpet onto the glue, let the adhesive start to get tacky. if you try to mate the surfaces to fast then hold and wait for it to stick you may find part of the carpet stuck and other parts needing more adhesive.. which is now difficult to spray under the semi stuck carpet..

have a soapy rag or some goo remover on hand for overspray, and mask off anything close to your floor work area that can't take adhesive oversprsy..

take your time,
dem
I read through a zillion carpet threads before I put mine in, along with what I vaguely remember from the last time I did it ~10 years ago.

It depends on what kind of fit you want. If you don't mind the "loose and saggy" look, you can choose a lot of alternatives (velcro, etc.)

If you want tight, you need to take your glue seriously, particularly the e-brake depression. Second would be the driver side fender & passenger long. The rest don't need much, if any, gluing.

For the e-brake area, I carved a 2x6 into the proper shape, and used a bunch of bar clamps along with a heat gun to pre-form the carpet into the ebrake depression (heat gun on the back only! test on a scrap of whatever carpet you're using! I found the german loop can take a LOT of heat without breaking down.. YMMV.)

I knocked down most of the old glue with Goof Off, and used brake cleaner around the e-brake depression because again, you need really good adhesion in this area. Use the 3M Super adhesive, and follow the directions. I used my block & clamps again after attaching.

Also keep in mind the after market carpet kits don't cover quite the same as factory, so you may want to lay down some floor vinyl around the e-brake area.

Good luck!
silver74insocal
great thanks for the advice guys i will get to it and let you know beerchug.gif Dave
buhs914
OR you could be like the idiot PO of my car and use liquid nails for everything! (this is sarcasm btw in reality his liquid nail job is horrible, messy, and a pain in the ass to get off)
Tom_T
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jun 3 2010, 09:32 PM) *

great thanks for the advice guys i will get to it and let you know beerchug.gif Dave

Dave - some of the OE Porsche carpet sections came with a plastic backing which would form fit with a heat gun (air dryer) application of heat to soften it then press fit to the area - e.g.: tunnel, sills/threshold/inner longs - esp. at e-brake.

This type of plastic sheet is still available at local auto carpet shops, so you could have that sewn to the backs of selected pieces (they have to unstitch the vinyl edging & resew those around the plastic to hold them in place & avoid exposed edges), although some of the forward sidewall & front wall pieces were stuck with adhesive even from the factory.

So that's another option for you! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.