Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
OK, when looking at the wiring diagram I can figure out what wire goes where but when I get to the Coil connections, how do I figure out which wire goes to the positive connection and which to the negative connection?

As a side note, the numbers that are NOT circled next to the item e.g. 1, 4 and 15 that are around the ignition coil, what do they mean?

I am pretty much a moron when it comes to wiring. unsure.gif
jt914-6
#1 connection is: Green wire=condensor wire, Black/purple=tach wire, both connected to coil -. #15 is: coil hot wire. #4: wire from coil to center of dist. cap.

Take a test light/multi-meter. Ground test light or black wire of multi-meter and turn key to "on" position and see which wire is "hot" with key on. That wire goes to the coil +.

The green wire and black/purple goes to the coil -.

Hope this helps.....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jun 3 2010, 03:24 AM) *

As a side note, the numbers that are NOT circled next to the item e.g. 1, 4 and 15 that are around the ignition coil, what do they mean?

The tech data in the other post is spot-on.
As for 'what do they mean' - those are the standard Bosch / DIN terminal numbers.

Somewhere I have a photocopy of a page from a technical reference book (probably a Bosch publication I haven't been able to track down...) that lists them all.

(probably "Bosch Automotive Handbook - 7th Edition" or "Bosch Handbook for Automotive Electrics - Automotive Electronics 5th Edition" -- found 'em here: Bentley Publications )

zB - Terminal 15 is _always_ 'hot with ignition'. If you've ever looked at a Bosch/Porsche relay and found the terminals noted '85' and '87' (like that) it is because the coil and load terminals all have consistent numbering. (And the wires have consistent color codes...)

"All" German cars use this nomenclature. "All" Bosch parts too. I haven't seen this system used on the Datsun or the Subies, and of course SAE has always had an instant distrust of 'anything furrin' so US cars are different (and from each other, probably...). The farther you get from der Vaterland, the less likely you are to see The DIN Code.

With a Stuttgart address, you could probably just _walk_ to Robert Bosch and get the book...

stephenaki
Gents,
Thanks, based on what you have both stated I should be able to figure this out. beerchug.gif

I didn't get home until late yesterday so didn't get a chance to work on the car. I think I'll be able to skate out early today and 'git er done' this afternoon. Need to have it running by the weekend so I can register it before I punch out to Italy next week. Wish me luck and thanks again.

stephenaki
Last check before I hook up the battery and start her. I have a white wire that runs to the regulator panel(?) can't remember the name of the dang thing. Here is a picture.

Click to view attachment

Negative or Positive connection on the coil? I don't see a white wire listed in the wiring diagram.

McMark
Can't see enough detail from your picture. Moving the #4 spark wire out of the way would help a lot. wink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
White wire coming from relay board is a fuel injection connection. You don't need it with carbs.
jt914-6
I don't see the typical green condensor wire....You may have an electronic conversion in the dist. (Ignitor, ect.). How many wires are coming out of the dist.?

The coil should have stamped on the top where the connectors are + and --. The hot with the key wire goes to coil + and the condensor/tach wire goes to the coil --.
If your dist. has two wires coming out, the black would go with the tach wire (black/purple) to the coil negative side (--) and the red would go to the coil positive side (+).
stephenaki
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 4 2010, 08:49 AM) *

I don't see the typical green condensor wire....You may have an electronic conversion in the dist. (Ignitor, ect.). How many wires are coming out of the dist.?

The coil should have stamped on the top where the connectors are + and --. The hot with the key wire goes to coil + and the condensor/tach wire goes to the coil --.
If your dist. has two wires coming out, the black would go with the tach wire (black/purple) to the coil negative side (--) and the red would go to the coil positive side (+).

It does have a petronix conversion in the Dizzy; two wires coming out black and red. The yellow wire is the wire for the fuel pump. My biggest concern was the white wire which you have stated is for an FI that I don't currently have. I'll throw on the muffler and hook up the battery in the morning and see if she'll start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.