Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory primer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
Some body please tell me that the factory often used an orange primer in '74.

-P
lapuwali
Medium to very dark gray is all I've seen on the two 914s I've owned. Karmann regularly applied some body filler in places (yes, filler from the factory), which is tan and may look orange-ish.
Martin Baker
Where do you see the orange? Seems the dash structure is always an orange color under the black paint.
Joe.D
Let me guess: You peeled off the dashboard cover and found orange, on a car of another color, Right? Why would I guess that? Because my green '74 has an orange piece of steel as the top frame of the dashboard.

I read somewhere that during assembly at the factory, this part was installed after the tub was painted, but since it hidden by the dashtop cover, no effort was made to match the color of the car when it was installed. If I recall correctly, other colors in addition to orange were also used.

Joe
trojanhorsepower
You win! Yes I found orange under the dash, but I also found it under the silver paint inside the doors. It must be some sort of primer. surely. sad.gif Really as long as the dash has factory orange than I think I will be OK.

Thanks everybody

-Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.