Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stand alone injection? Opinions? For /6 w ITB
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
TorqueJunkie
I am in the process of rebuilding my 2.4 engine with 2.2S pistons, S cams, and am going to install TWM individual throttle bodies. I am looking around for some fuel and ignition systems for this engine. I have looked at most of the ones out there, but not sure what works best. On some of the other forums, there is a guy running the Megasquirt(latest version) with good results. Another guy is using Electromitive. I have everything except for the control module. What do you guys use on the flat 6 engines? I do not want to spend a ton of money either. I want something reliable. I hated my carbs.
underthetire
I don't have a 6, but I do have megasquirt. It's been reliable but you'd better be willing to learn the whole system. It's not a plug and play for sure.
ottox914
Check out SDSEFI.com. It is as advertised, simple. TONS of info on the site. Costs more than mega squirt, but more specific support. See my ITB thread below. Just one more option to consider.
TorqueJunkie
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 3 2010, 06:02 PM) *

I don't have a 6, but I do have megasquirt. It's been reliable but you'd better be willing to learn the whole system. It's not a plug and play for sure.

That does not bother me much. There seems to be a lot of features to the new systems they have available. Sequential injections...etc...

My friend is an expert at electronics and is a tuner as well for other german cars.

The SDS system does not work with my trigger wheel(have Clewitt Engineering billet pulley), and they were not at all helpful when I contacted them about it. They almost blew me off saying the car will not run right on the street with ITB's etc...

I mean hell, almost any EFI system has to run better than the triple IDA carbs I had before. They were fine, just too many cold, and hot start issues and fuel boiling etc...

I have been collecting parts fro 10 years and am finally in a position to get the engine built and get this EFI system installed.

ottox914
I'm surprised you had that experience with the guys at SDS, they always have been great to work with on my turbo 914 project. I'll be interested to see how your engine comes out, as I'd like to restore/build an early 911, and this combo is one of the ones I was considering to build for the engine. What CR are you looking to run?
puff adder
Check out the Electromotive Tec III system. I was considering it, but went with 50mm PMO carbs instead.
TorqueJunkie
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jun 4 2010, 08:18 AM) *

I'm surprised you had that experience with the guys at SDS, they always have been great to work with on my turbo 914 project. I'll be interested to see how your engine comes out, as I'd like to restore/build an early 911, and this combo is one of the ones I was considering to build for the engine. What CR are you looking to run?

I believe it it will CR will be 9.8:1 from what others have calculated. I ran this engine with E cams an it put down 140HP to the wheels with carbs. I am hoping to be at 160hp at the wheels with the S cams and ITB.

I almost laugh when I look at how much it costs to get this all accomplished. My VW TDI puts down 200HP and 400ft TQ to the wheels from a 1.9L 4 cylinder diesel. Give it is a turbo car, but it just does not have the same feel and sound as the plat 6 cylinder biggrin.gif

As for SDS, I have not ruled them out, just that they were not at all helpful and I would have to change my trigger pulley that I paid over $300 for dry.gif
Randal

I used Link on my 2.4 fuel injection motor.

Works perfect.

J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 6 2010, 12:22 PM) *

Works perfect.

Then why aren't you out there beatin' on it? biggrin.gif
Keep this up and you'll beat all my slow to build records.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 6 2010, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 6 2010, 12:22 PM) *

Works perfect.

Then why aren't you out there beatin' on it? biggrin.gif
Keep this up and you'll beat all my slow to build records.

Soon JP, soon.
jpnovak
I have been running a Megasquirt system for almost 3 years. I only had one problem and that was user error. I accidently unplugged device flashing a new tune. This corrupted the firmware. Wasn't a problem to reload, I just could not figure out what the problem was.

btw, MS is a very powerful ECU. It is true that it is not Plug-n-play compared to some systems. However, if you are willing to learn the basics of fuel injection theory you can build a system that is nearly as integrated as multi-thousand dollar systems. The new MSIII is fully sequential fuel and spark through 8-cylinders.

I do not think you need sequential unless emissions are a concern. I doubt your 2.4 is.

btw, While the early S cam is wonderful there are some more modern cams that will provide much better engine performance. Think E torque curve down low and 906 up high. I think you should contact John Dougherty at DR Camshafts. Something like his DC 43 comes to mind. btw, I would have them ground on a 106-108 lobe center. Anything narrower will give the MAP sensor fits for the EFI. You could run alpha-n (TPS) only but the throttle response gains are in speed-density (MAP).

TorqueJunkie
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Jun 14 2010, 03:21 PM) *

I have been running a Megasquirt system for almost 3 years. I only had one problem and that was user error. I accidently unplugged device flashing a new tune. This corrupted the firmware. Wasn't a problem to reload, I just could not figure out what the problem was.

btw, MS is a very powerful ECU. It is true that it is not Plug-n-play compared to some systems. However, if you are willing to learn the basics of fuel injection theory you can build a system that is nearly as integrated as multi-thousand dollar systems. The new MSIII is fully sequential fuel and spark through 8-cylinders.

I do not think you need sequential unless emissions are a concern. I doubt your 2.4 is.

btw, While the early S cam is wonderful there are some more modern cams that will provide much better engine performance. Think E torque curve down low and 906 up high. I think you should contact John Dougherty at DR Camshafts. Something like his DC 43 comes to mind. btw, I would have them ground on a 106-108 lobe center. Anything narrower will give the MAP sensor fits for the EFI. You could run alpha-n (TPS) only but the throttle response gains are in speed-density (MAP).

I have set of new in box reground Web-cam S grind cams. Can't see spending $800 more for new cams. I have so much money in parts that I could have put in 3.6 993 engine by now. Problem is that I spent slowly it over 10 years while family and other issues took priority. Still limited on budget, but would like to get it running this year. I miss this car!

Heads are out getting reworked with Aasco springs/Ti tetainers(man these are nice)and valve job and surfacing.
Case is out for : If usable still, then shuffle pin, face spigots, case savers, oil bypass mod, and rods rebused/shot peened. 7R mag case.

Thanks for the tips. I will really have to learn more about the MS III and see if that is something I want to try or not. Any other issues I should look out for in the EFI set-up? Was told I have to tap each manifold for 6 ports for the vac block connection as well.

jpnovak
Yes, you will need to tap each of the six throats and attach a vacuum line to each. These must then be attached to a large volume vacuum accumulator. The larger the vacuum plenum the better signal damping you will have.

The issue with a high overlap cam is that the reversion pulse at low speed will be quite large. This pressure wave gets sent to the MAP sensor on the ECU and reads as an erratic signal. The new MS codes allow for sampling rate changes such that you sample at a crank position outside the pulse. This essentially puts them out of phase and cleans up the signal. There are many tricks you can play that help tune around the reversion problem with high overlap cams.

If your heads are out getting a rework ask them to drill and tap Head #3 for a Carrera type CHT sensor. This can interface directly to your EFI and will function as a warm-up sensor. The response is much faster for fueling requirements than measuring oil temp. You can also epoxy mount a thermistor in place for the same function.

If you plan correctly and understand what you are doing the EFI conversion is a wonderful thing. I converted my early car from CIS to webers on a 3.0. It is no secret that the webers outperform CIS in every way possible except gas mileage. The jump from webers to ITB-EFI was similar in magnitude as the first induction swap. The key is in the tuning and setup.

Of course, now I have a new motor (3.2SS) that puts out nearly 300HP. I still get almost 24 mpg on highway cruising. Not bad for a psuedo-race motor.
TorqueJunkie
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Jun 15 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Yes, you will need to tap each of the six throats and attach a vacuum line to each. These must then be attached to a large volume vacuum accumulator. The larger the vacuum plenum the better signal damping you will have.

The issue with a high overlap cam is that the reversion pulse at low speed will be quite large. This pressure wave gets sent to the MAP sensor on the ECU and reads as an erratic signal. The new MS codes allow for sampling rate changes such that you sample at a crank position outside the pulse. This essentially puts them out of phase and cleans up the signal. There are many tricks you can play that help tune around the reversion problem with high overlap cams.

If your heads are out getting a rework ask them to drill and tap Head #3 for a Carrera type CHT sensor. This can interface directly to your EFI and will function as a warm-up sensor. The response is much faster for fueling requirements than measuring oil temp. You can also epoxy mount a thermistor in place for the same function.

If you plan correctly and understand what you are doing the EFI conversion is a wonderful thing. I converted my early car from CIS to webers on a 3.0. It is no secret that the webers outperform CIS in every way possible except gas mileage. The jump from webers to ITB-EFI was similar in magnitude as the first induction swap. The key is in the tuning and setup.

Of course, now I have a new motor (3.2SS) that puts out nearly 300HP. I still get almost 24 mpg on highway cruising. Not bad for a psuedo-race motor.

Do you have a part number for that sensor? Carrera style? I will definitely get one and have it cut for it. I want to do it right. Been waiting 10 years, so whats a few more days/months...

930-606-915-00

Link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...20%281984-89%29

this it?
TorqueJunkie
Do you have a picture of where it goes in the head? I looked for some and cant find it. Complete engine would be better so can see where it needs to go? Thanks again.
jpnovak
Any place that knows Porsche heads should be able to do this mod. In any case, the CHT sensor mounts on the forward face of the #3 head pretty much right in the center.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...eplacement.html

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Britain Smith
Have you taken a look at the EFI systems from Rothsport Racing?

They also sell individual components.

-Britain

IPB Image
jpnovak
Those are nice!
sean_v8_914
you could easily sell those S cams. since the cam is so important, I STRONGLY recommend you research it a bit more before putting it in and regreting it later. the S cam power is way up the rpm scale and narrow. it sucks on teh street.
without the right cam, all your super-star parts will not dance well together
Randal

If you want a system that works, call Matt Lowrance up in Reno (775) 331-4366. He put together the Motec unit on our 2.7 race motor. Matt has done so many of these he has all the fuel maps dialed in, which saves a ton of money

BTW I'm running the same TB's as yours on two of my race engines, one with Motec and one with Link.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 5 2010, 01:40 PM) *

If you want a system that works, call Matt Lowrance up in Reno (775) 331-4366. He put together the Motec unit on our 2.7 race motor. Matt has done so many of these he has all the fuel maps dialed in, which saves a ton of money.

Also Matt can help you with the motor combination. Again he knows what works.

BTW I'm running the same TB's as yours on two of my race engines, one with Motec and one with Link.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.