Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear springs tie wrapped or helper springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I have adjustable spring perches and have tie-wrapped the springs to the top retainer to hold them in place. I know that you can get helper springs to hold them in place too. Are there any reasons why I'd go through the expense to do this for my track car? Advantages/disadvantages?
hwgunner
What size springs are you runnin?? If stock, I have not seen helpers for those. I like the helper spring set up for a track car because it is one less thing to worry about at the track (after you jacked up the car to take a wheel off so you could check somthing and then hit the first turn trying to remember if you seated the spring correctly).

jonathan
BigD9146gt
I'm running helper springs on mine for the exact reason... Obvious advantage is it keeps the main springs up. The longest helper I could find was 3", and I still have some slack when the suspension is fully unloaded. They do provide some (50lb ish) preload, probably not enough to make as much of a difference as tender springs would.

Disadvantage; the only one I can think of is that I had to make my own spring spacer (the aluminum ring that keeps the helper and main spring centered together). I prefer the helper to be on the bottom (against the threaded body) and I find most spring spacers hit against the lower perch, not allowing the helper to completely flatten.
Gint
I would really like to see a picture of these "helper springs".
6freak
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 4 2010, 04:34 AM) *

I would really like to see a picture of these "helper springs".

me too ..i have "i think" the same problem he has with the spring comeing off the perch on a hard turn , then when the car level`s out it goes CLUNK...I was told i could drill hole`s in the spring perch`s and put zip tie`s in and that mite solve the issue...
Krieger
I think my springs are 10", definately 250#.
McMark
Third picture on google image search:

IPB Image
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 4 2010, 08:43 AM) *
Third picture on google image search:
I guess the rest of us are just plain lame Mark. You're my google search hero. smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisFoley
I just started carrying the helper springs, haven't had a chance to put them up on the website yet.
Eddie914
Andy,

I have done the same as you. I did not want to put out $100 for helpers and dividers.

Cheers,

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.