Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear window question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
My neighbor just gave me two boxes of 3M Butyl tape. It's round 5/16 in diameter. I'm thinking may not work. What says you ?
ConeDodger
Unless you need to do it now, I have the right stuff in my garage. Come up for a reunion day and take it home with you. But, how thick it is wouldn't seem to be much of a difference. It just dries out and the window starts rattling.
Lennies914
I used 1/4" butyl from napa. Seemed to work well.
underthetire
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 3 2010, 06:10 PM) *

Unless you need to do it now, I have the right stuff in my garage. Come up for a reunion day and take it home with you. But, how thick it is wouldn't seem to be much of a difference. It just dries out and the window starts rattling.

Thank you for the offer, but now that all most of the squeaks are gone i really need to fix the rattle.

Lennie, was it flat tape or round?
Lennies914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 3 2010, 07:46 PM) *

Thank you for the offer, but now that all most of the squeaks are gone i really need to fix the rattle.

Round, it was about $14
underthetire
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 3 2010, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 3 2010, 07:46 PM) *

Round, it was about $14

Thanks, this is the right stuff then. Window is out, trying to get the tint off now. Seems the window has had a rattle since 1985. Found a folded up piece of mail and a bunch of silicon in the corner.
Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 3 2010, 09:18 PM) *

Seems the window has had a rattle since 1985. Found a folded up piece of mail and a bunch of silicon in the corner.

That's a vintage bozo repair with a classic rattle then, so you might want to keep it original! laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
I have an extra stock rear window you can have. Its clear and non molested.

I also have installed using the FLAPS 3M coil butyl and it works great. You just need to get the window set right before you connect it...

camaroz1985
I found a piece of paper stuck in mine. That was after the window fell out when I was pounding on a piece of metal during my rust repair. I got lucky it didn't break, but now that it is out, I'll probably replace it with lexan.
tod914
You can also get the butyl tape with a foam core. It won't drip and smear if it gets too hot in the sun. Also works good.
McMark
5/16" butyl is the right stuff. It's the closest to the factory spec diameter.
Nürburg Nomad
Just thought I would bump this thread as I'm doing this today and found this handy guide in the depths of 914 World detailing exactly how to re-install the rear window! biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=15821
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.