Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't start all of the sudden
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
Over the winter, I have been making some changes to my engine. Over the past week, I have been making the final adjustments and getting everything ready to go. I had the car fairly well tuned a few days ago except for one major problem, when the engine is hot, the rpm's stay high and will not go down. Because of the rpm issue, I decided to make a few carb related adjustments. . Now my car won't start. Heres the scenario-

I have a 2.3l with dual weber 40idfs. I have a bell crank carb linkage. I took the carb link off one side to set the idle. The engine had been running for awhile. I accidentally hit the carb linkage and the RPM's went to about 3k and would not come down eventhough the carbs had returned to idle. After about 20 seconds the rpms came down to the point where the engine was about to stall so I reved the engine (forgetting that I had only one carb link hooked up) to get the rpms up. The rpms went up then when I let off the throttle, the engine died. Now the car will not start.

I let the car cool for about 2 hours thinking that I may have flooded the engine however the car still will not start. THe starter turns the engine ok. The fuel pump runs. It seems like I am not getting fuel or spark. The fuel pump is running so I assume I am getting fuel. I am using a pertronix unit. I have had issues with fried pertronix units in the past so I tested it and it seems fine. I checked the coil and it is fine. I am running a MSD 6al. I understand that they fry fairly easily so when I installed it I installed it with their capacitor so hopefully it wouldnt fry.

Any ideas on why the car wouldn't start. Also any ideas on why the rpms stay up when the engine is hot?

If somebody know the reason for this, I would be greatly appreciative for your help. I would also be very appreciative for guesses.

Thanks!
tornik550
Heres an update-

I checked the coil and it seems to be working ok. I found an old in-line spark plug tester (the kind that you plug into the spark plug wire and plug, if the light lightes up then you have spark). It appears that I am getting spark to the plugs. So I figure that I am only left with a fuel issue. I have clear fuel filters and I can see that there is fuel getting at least to the filter. I do not see how I could have a blockage after the filter. Hmmm?

Also, still interested to see what people have to say about the high rpms when hot.

tornik550
Ok- it appears that I have a fuel issue. I checked the ignition system and everything seem fine. I sprayed starter fluid in the intakes and the engine turned over then died. I will take the lines out later and look for a clog.

Still looking for a guess on why the rpms are high when hot. The rpms are not high at idle but if I rev the engine a little, the rpms go high and stay there for about 20 seconds (yes I did check to make sure the lever returned to the idle set screw).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.