Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excited about My new Addtiction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jabberwocky
So I'm just chiming in on the good news. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Going to go pick this gal up on Saturday morning. Then Ill start the do do list and improvement list. Great shape for a Ohio find she was transported in from the west cost in 2008.
I am so HAPPY w00t.gif I cant wait to start this project. I have been jonesing for a new 70's era sports car after I sold my Fiat spider that I rescued from the side of the road in Western NewYork and rustorated during gradschool. I sold that to pay for my new kitchen last year now on to a new project.
Wish me luck on my new addiction and if anyone is near the Cleveland area and want to meet up and drive let me know.
Lennies914
Very nice! Congrats. beerchug.gif

welcome.png
oz371
Looks great!!! welcome.png
dlee6204
Congrats! It looks like a nice start!
william1764
QUOTE(jabberwocky @ Jun 3 2010, 06:52 PM) *

So I'm just chiming in on the good news. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Going to go pick this gal up on Saturday morning. Then Ill start the do do list and improvement list. Great shape for a Ohio find she was transported in from the west cost in 2008.
I am so HAPPY w00t.gif I cant wait to start this project. I have been jonesing for a new 70's era sports car after I sold my Fiat spider that I rescued from the side of the road in Western NewYork and rustorated during gradschool. I sold that to pay for my new kitchen last year now on to a new project.
Wish me luck on my new addiction and if anyone is near the Cleveland area and want to meet up and drive let me know.

very nice...congrats! Hardly looks like there's much to improve:)

I'm looking myself and can't wait until I find that 'perfect" one. In the meantime...enjoying the search - its been over 20 years since i've owned one.

jabberwocky

Plenty to change/improve.
remove 40lbs of sound deadining material on floors
remove 70lb late bumpers (although the BBB are growing on me) and switch to fiberglass.
Front sway bar.
new headers to remove 1.8 75 restrictions.ect. But it comes down to budget/time. but fornow shes a good clean car I decided getting a clean car would save me so much time and money over a rustoration.

Can you tell i'm going to Autox her haha.
Socalandy
welcome.png

Looks good
hot_shoe914
welcome.png
rick 918-S
Hows the hell hole? welcome.png
KELTY360
Sweet looker! welcome.png
BigDBass
Nice looking car!

Make sure to drive it before you start taking it apart!!

welcome.png
Tom_T
welcome.png

Glad you finally found a "real" sports car from the 70's - over a Fiat Spyder of all things! biggrin.gif
Gint
welcome.png Looks like you got a nice one!
jabberwocky
Rick 918-S
Hell Hole looks good. I'm going to poke around down in the area under the battery area and under the brain to check for soft spots that would be the only deal breaker (and under the seat area) when I go out for pickup. I tracked the vin and found the previous owner on 914 world who did the respray he did a great job but it makes checking the hole visual a little more difficult.

Hey Tom don't knock the Fiat. I still love em as that is where I cut my teeth on electrical diagnostics ( love that Italian wiring aluminum wires brown and green are hot, red is ground confused24.gif ) , body repair, rust repair, engine modification and painting. Once you repair all of the factory parts they only break down occasionally. It was a learning experience I would never give up and in the end a rather fun car to drive.

Hellhole and Fiat Pic below for good measure
carr914
welcome.png

Looks good, I'd clean up the overspray & drive it like you stole it

T.C.
Root_Werks
That looks like a clean 914, good score!

welcome.png
jcambo7
Looks like a great find! Congrats! welcome.png
BigDBass
My mother-in-law still thinks my 914 is a Fiat...

The guitar player in my band was trying to convince me it was a Fiat the first time he saw it, even after he realized it was mine and I should know.
corsepervita
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 4 2010, 08:58 AM) *

The guitar player in my band was trying to convince me it was a Fiat the first time he saw it, even after he realized it was mine and I should know.

Oh man.... my friend thought mine was for a while. He texted me "HEY DUDE i saw a fiat like yours earlier today at autocross" i'm like "Ugh....dude, it's not a fiat. Again... it's a 914."

Lol... i hate it when someone says "Wow your car looks like those old fiats!"
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jun 4 2010, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 4 2010, 08:58 AM) *

Oh man.... my friend thought mine was for a while. He texted me "HEY DUDE i saw a fiat like yours earlier today at autocross" i'm like "Ugh....dude, it's not a fiat. Again... it's a 914."

Lol... i hate it when someone says "Wow your car looks like those old fiats!"

Ha ha... biggrin.gif Fortunately I haven't gotten that yet but I suppose it's only a matter of time...

Welcome to 914 World! I'm a relative newbie myself and also in Ohio; although in the far south western corner so I couldn't be any further away from Cleveland!
jabberwocky
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 4 2010, 11:58 AM) *

This is why I got the 75 with the huge plastic PORSCHE emblem on the back. Well not really but it will probably help with the fiat thing.

I never remember anyone ever calling my Fiat a Porsche. Got a "is that a Miata" a few times (learn your cars people).
corsepervita
QUOTE(jabberwocky @ Jun 4 2010, 11:37 AM) *

This is why I got the 75 with the huge plastic PORSCHE emblem on the back. Well not really but it will probably help with the fiat thing.

I never remember anyone ever calling my Fiat a Porsche. Got a "is that a Miata" a few times (learn your cars people).

When people say stuff like that..... arg.

See for the most part anymore I just say a random comment that'll go with it. I get that a lot. For instance.... my Ducati has a dry clutch and I have it ventilated with half a cover on it, so it rattles like a son of a bitch. People always ask me "is your bike okay?" when they hear the rattle, assuming something is broken. Of course internally I'm going ("ugh.. really dude, would i ride it if my bike was rattling because it had a mechanical problem as is?") I used to explain why it was loud, but eventually got tired of explaining wet clutch vs dry clutch and most people don't like listening to technical ramble anyway. Often times now I just reply with "Oh it's fine, they just run better without oil." confused24.gif and get blink.gif looks from people who can't tell if i'm serious or not.

One time at a gas station some guy was like "DUDE nice 9! errr... 928, wait no, 911" when i was filling up my 944. I just said "Thanks." happy11.gif One time a guy even asked of my 944 was a Ford Probe till he walked around and saw the back.

The Ducati comment always seems to work.

I had one guy walking up to me as I was filling up the 914 not long ago who was making a comment about how it must have broke down and i had to fix it, then he realized I was just filling it up and went "oh, hah... nevermind." and we talked cars for a few minutes.

I always get the weird ones at gas stations.

My dad isn't a fan of VW or Porsche for the most part and just keeps telling me my engine is in the wrong place XD
carr914
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jun 4 2010, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(jabberwocky @ Jun 4 2010, 11:37 AM) *

When people say stuff like that..... arg.

See for the most part anymore I just say a random comment that'll go with it. I get that a lot. For instance.... my Ducati has a dry clutch and I have it ventilated with half a cover on it, so it rattles like a son of a bitch. People always ask me "is your bike okay?" when they hear the rattle, assuming something is broken. Of course internally I'm going ("ugh.. really dude, would i ride it if my bike was rattling because it had a mechanical problem as is?") I used to explain why it was loud, but eventually got tired of explaining wet clutch vs dry clutch and most people don't like listening to technical ramble anyway. Often times now I just reply with "Oh it's fine, they just run better without oil." confused24.gif and get blink.gif looks from people who can't tell if i'm serious or not.

One time at a gas station some guy was like "DUDE nice 9! errr... 928, wait no, 911" when i was filling up my 944. I just said "Thanks." happy11.gif One time a guy even asked of my 944 was a Ford Probe till he walked around and saw the back.

The Ducati comment always seems to work.

I had one guy walking up to me as I was filling up the 914 not long ago who was making a comment about how it must have broke down and i had to fix it, then he realized I was just filling it up and went "oh, hah... nevermind." and we talked cars for a few minutes.

I always get the weird ones at gas stations.

My dad isn't a fan of VW or Porsche for the most part and just keeps telling me my engine is in the wrong place XD

When I worked for VW-Audi and was the Project Test Manager for the New Beetle, I always had people saying "that's the new Beetle", 1st I told them it was a kit car, then they would ask more questions. It was a secret project and finally I got to the point where I told people to get the F away from my car - it was the only thing that stopped the conversation.

But I can claim I was in the same AutoWeek article as Michael Schumacher driving.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.