Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Legend of the "914 S" & "914 SC"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 15 2010, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2010, 07:22 PM) *

I don't recall anyone ever using the word "Super" with regards to a "S" badge on any German

There's a woman from Hamburg who lives down the road. It's generally acknowledged she is a Super Cougar.

We call her SC.

Just sayin'

Hey Mike, at our ages - she's not interested in us - if she's a Cougar, cuz she want's the young bucks! lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 04:39 PM) *
and the 911S was also referred to as "Super" on that 356 carry-forward in some Porsche literature. shades.gif

And let me guess, that 'literature' was in English?

shades.gif Andy
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 07:41 PM) *

Hey Mike, at our ages - she's not interested in us - if she's a Cougar, cuz she want's the young bucks! lol-2.gif

Doesn't matter anyway.

My wife told me I'm not allowed to have girlfriends anymore . . .

women.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2010, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 04:39 PM) *
and the 911S was also referred to as "Super" on that 356 carry-forward in some Porsche literature. shades.gif

And let me guess, that 'literature' was in English?

shades.gif Andy

I've seen it in English, French, Spanish & German, and we have people here in the US who have learned to translate German into English (myself not included), Herr Andy. shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 15 2010, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 07:41 PM) *

Doesn't matter anyway.

My wife told me I'm not allowed to have girlfriends anymore . . .

women.

agree.gif ... Geeesh, these women have no sense of humor about those kind of things! biggrin.gif

Mine wife too! dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 05:20 PM) *
I've seen it in English, French, Spanish & German, and we have people here in the US who have learned to translate German into English (myself not included), Herr Andy. shades.gif

I'd be interested to see a Porsche document (in German) that refers to the 911S as "911 Super" ...

idea.gif Andy
sixerdon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2010, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 04:12 PM) *
or did they mean Coupe Super? ... or Super Coupe bass-ackwards?? confused24.gif

I don't recall anyone ever using the word "Super" with regards to a "S" badge on any German automobile.

I have no idea where that terminology came from.

But i only spent 35 years in Germany, it's possible i missed a thing or two ...
shades.gif Andy

Then you never saw a 1300 Super, a 1500 Super, a 1600 Super and Super 90, all emblems by Porsche from 1952 through 1963 B's. This was a world wide badge on the 356's, no matter what country it was exported to.
The terminology came from Porsche.
Don
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2010, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 05:20 PM) *

I'd be interested to see a Porsche document (in German) that refers to the 911S as "911 Super" ...

idea.gif Andy

Andy, with all due respect to your exalted status here pray.gif
- it is well time to give this line of debate a rest & stop dead horse.gif

As I've said several times, the purpose of this topic thread is to put in info. on the US/Canada "914 S" marketing campaign/designation, and the UK's similar "914SC" marketing program/designation.

It is NOT for you and I to have some silly running argument over what the bloody general letters stood for in German, English, Swahili, etc.!

What matters here is what the Brits' meant by the SC, since the ads/etc. which I've posted clearly stated that Porsche+Audi here meant the "S" to mean "Super" for the "914 S" campaign.

So now it's time to stop. dry.gif
ME733
..........Well my 914 ..rear logo is ..914 S...and came that way from the dealer., from the !st ..and 2nd owner... so there, I finally said it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 15 2010, 08:08 PM) *
Then you never saw a 1300 Super, a 1500 Super, a 1600 Super and Super 90, all emblems by Porsche from 1952 through 1963 B's. This was a world wide badge on the 356's, no matter what country it was exported to.

I'm no 356 expert, but any 356 Super i have seen had the word Super written out on the badge ...

On the other hand, i have never seen a "911 Super" badge ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: One more point in case, you Americans call the VW 1303S beetle "Super Beetle", yet that term was never used in Germany when that car hit the market.
The 1303S was the sport edition, with such upgrades as a 50HP engine, coil-over suspension and a improved windshield/dashboard area.
MDG
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

scratched off a little paint and I found this underneath!

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 16 2010, 11:31 AM) *

av-943.gif
ME733
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 16 2010, 02:31 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

.................My rear logo doesn"t have the bottom "super" lettering...The dealer was just way more concenious on your car., as he complied with the official porsche advertising campain, and dealer sales, and marketing materials.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 16 2010, 07:48 AM) *

..........Well my 914 ..rear logo is ..914 S...and came that way from the dealer., from the !st ..and 2nd owner... so there, I finally said it.

Plz post a pic Murray! type.gif
MDG
huh.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 16 2010, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 15 2010, 08:08 PM) *

I'm no 356 expert, but any 356 Super i have seen had the word Super written out on the badge ...

On the other hand, i have never seen a "911 Super" badge ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: One more point in case, you Americans call the VW 1303S beetle "Super Beetle", yet that term was never used in Germany when that car hit the market.
The 1303S was the sport edition, with such upgrades as a 50HP engine, coil-over suspension and a improved windshield/dashboard area.

Well gosh Andy - you win - you are truly a Master Debater! biggrin.gif

.... moving on folks! shades.gif
Tom_T

Click to view attachment

idea.gif .... I think I once saw one with "Super Duper" under the 914-S! laugh.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2010, 01:52 AM) *

Andy - a Roadster is an open top car & usually only a 2 seater but sometimes with a small rear jump or kiddy or package seat - so a 914 or 911 Targa is usually grouped as a roadster, even if it's not a soft top convertable type but has a removable hardtop or hard-drop-top design.

Technically the 911/912/930 hardtop is a Coupe because of the hardtop & 2 door design (vs. 4 dr.) & no B-pillar between the front & rear side windows.

In today's Porsche models' terms - the Boxster is a Roadster, while a Cayman is a Sports Coupe, & convertable/Targa 911's are Roadsters & hardtops (permanent ones) are Sports Coupes.

My 85 325e 2dr. gets called a Coupe, but since it has a b-pillar, it is technically classed as a 2 dr sedan, whereas the old 60's-70's BMW 2.8/3.0 CS/CSi with no b-pillar were true Coupes. Additionally, some of the current b-pillar-less 4 dr. are called coupes by MBZ.

Anyway, that was the old school auto definitions when I was looking at going to Art Center or Carnegie-Mellon for automotive design/engineering in 1969-70.

Therefore you're Sports Coupe for 911SC sounds correct - it being a sports coupe.

For those who like to wiki-peter themselves to death type.gif , I offer their definitions for roadster, coupe and sedan ...
... pick your own poison for a definition, cuz some numb nutz will find a dozen or more instances where an auto maker goes sideways on it any-hoo!!!! dry.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_%28automobile%29

Read & enjoy, but nuff said here on that matter! shades.gif

Back to the remaining Question at hand ....... idea.gif

Any Brits out there with "914SC" info, pics, ads, etc.???? confused24.gif
... Heck - I'll even take it from an Aussie or Kiwi, since I'm not too attached to the dang fool P.O.M.E.'s anyway!
laugh.gif
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 16 2010, 03:16 PM) *

av-943.gif

Andy, you DO have a sense of humor. I love you man, but I was wondering.

Now onto the new SC

Click to view attachment
beech4rd
In the January 2006 edition of Classic and Sports Car, a British magazine, there is a comparison of the VW-Porsche 911SC and the Jensen-Healey. The SC is refered to as having the Sport and Comfort package-basically it's a 1973/4 2.0 with all the options except chrome bumpers. It's noted that Crayford charged 600GBP to convert a car to RHD.
There is a reference to Porsche Club GB 914 registry. (www.porscheclubgb.com)
Perhaps someone there knows.
The story also points out that a VW-Porsche 914/6 was more expensive in 1971 than a Jaguar E-Type V12. I wonder which is worth more now. Actually I don't- the Jag's worth considerably more.

Chris
Tom_T
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Jun 16 2010, 07:32 PM) *

In the January 2006 edition of Classic and Sports Car, a British magazine, there is a comparison of the VW-Porsche 911SC and the Jensen-Healey. The SC is refered to as having the Sport and Comfort package-basically it's a 1973/4 2.0 with all the options except chrome bumpers. It's noted that Crayford charged 600GBP to convert a car to RHD.
There is a reference to Porsche Club GB 914 registry. (www.porscheclubgb.com)
Perhaps someone there knows.
The story also points out that a VW-Porsche 914/6 was more expensive in 1971 than a Jaguar E-Type V12. I wonder which is worth more now. Actually I don't- the Jag's worth considerably more.

Chris

The Euro "Sport and Comfort package" could be the basis for their "SC" - and is basically similar to the USA/Can Appearance Groups' options, except that the AG includes the chrome bumpers with foglights & chrome grills.

I think that the inclusion of the 2 options packages was discussed in the 2 articles in this book which I referenced above for the UK & Aussie 1970's articles in it.

Click to view attachment

The two articles on the UK "914SC" in it are:

1. Jan. 20 1973 "VW-Porsche 914SC Road Test" article from "MOTOR" (pg. 150)

2. April 1975 "914 SC the Very Practical Sports Car Road Test" article from "Modern Motor" (pg. 185)

Book info is "PORSCHE 914 - Ultimate Portfolio" paperback book, compiled by R.M. Clark, publ. by Brooklands Books ISBN 1-85520-4320 .

Thanx for the info! smile.gif

Looks like maybe an old 50's Deux Chevot (sp?) in your avatar?

popcorn[1].gif
72914S
I put an "S" on the back of my `72 because of all the `73 up grades that have been added 2.0, side shift, front suspension, and gauges. I have a hardcover repair book entitled "Porsche Service 914 S 1969-72".
nsr-jamie
Here in Japan where I now work and live, they called the 2.0 Liter model the S model here and in fact starting in 1973 they didn't even import the 1.7 and 1.8 L cars anymore, just the 2L cars and called them the S model. Emblems were the same as the European ones with the VW Porsche emblem on back.
URY914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 17 2010, 07:59 AM) *

Here in Japan where I now work and live, they called the 2.0 Liter model the S model here and in fact starting in 1973 they didn't even import the 1.7 and 1.8 L cars anymore, just the 2L cars and called them the S model. Emblems were the same as the European ones with the VW Porsche emblem on back.

Thanks Jamie for the Far East report.

OMG!!! This changes everything! Everyone post your Japanese 914 ad pronto. We have to get to the bottom of this. happy11.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 17 2010, 07:59 AM) *

Thanx Jaime, yes please do post anything you may come across on the Japanese "914 S" marketing program for info. I recall reading something about that in one or more of the various 914 books I have.

Apparently Porsche KG saw no problem with that "914 S" marketing nomenclature continuing through 1976 MY in a small market like Japan, or was it only for the short 6+/- months 72-73 that the Porsche+Audi "914 S" marketing program ran here in the US & Canada? confused24.gif

URY914/Paul ( & ALL) - despite the fact that some posting here have chosen to make this topic thread into a debate on the validity of these non-badged model designations on the 914 2.0s & many other "side issues", the purpose of the topic is to provide historical information - yes, including ads, dealer sales brochures, etc. - as a single point where those interested can read up on what was around back then & the story behind it.

I guess we just have a lot of master debaters here, & even I'm guilty at times! biggrin.gif

However, the O&H Forum is set up to provide such information & documentation where & when available, not to stifle it.
URY914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 17 2010, 01:47 PM) *

URY914/Paul ( & ALL) - despite the fact that some posting here have chosen to make this topic thread into a debate on the validity of these non-badged model designations on the 914 2.0s & many other "side issues", the purpose of the topic is to provide historical information - yes, including ads, dealer sales brochures, etc. - as a single point where those interested can read up on what was around back then & the story behind it.

Why is your comment directed at me? I'm not debating anything or anyone. This thread won't die and it should have long ago.
ME733
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 17 2010, 07:03 PM) *

Why is your comment directed at me? I'm not debating anything or anyone. This thread won't die and it should have long ago.

................ury, and the other guys...Tom started this post in an attempt to obtain input from other 1972-73 -2.0 owners, and obtain facts, from them about the 914-S car designation/history..........most of you have ALREADY stated you have no intrest in this discussion , and would not make any further comments....That was about 3-4 pages ago...You guys with NO intrest , other than a compulsion to answer posts/create needless debates should just please shut up...post somewhere else. TOM as I said is trying to get input from those owners who have /had /know about the 914-S and THEIR history with their car. thank you.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 17 2010, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 17 2010, 07:03 PM) *

................ury, and the other guys...Tom started this post in an attempt to obtain input from other 1972-73 -2.0 owners, and obtain facts, from them about the 914-S car designation/history..........most of you have ALREADY stated you have no intrest in this discussion , and would not make any further comments....That was about 3-4 pages ago...You guys with NO intrest , other than a compulsion to answer posts/create needless debates should just please shut up...post somewhere else. TOM as I said is trying to get input from those owners who have /had /know about the 914-S and THEIR history with their car. thank you.

agree.gif
URY914
....Gee, I'm so sorry......I've posted in your thread.....it is not as if you are.....curing cancer here.....lighten the fuck up...... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif stirthepot.gif bye1.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 18 2010, 05:11 AM) *

....Gee, I'm so sorry......I've posted in your thread.....it is not as if you are.....curing cancer here.....lighten the fuck up...... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif stirthepot.gif bye1.gif

Never said I was Pal! dry.gif
Tom_T
Well apparently the folks at VW-Porsche thought our 914s were BOTH "coupes & convertibles" (roadsters/cabriolets) "at the same time," according to PKG factory issued information found at at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Canam/LE website! biggrin.gif

<snipped from: http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/ & under 914-GT at the left bar with bold emphasis added by me>

Factory poster of the VW-Porsche 914 GT Bumblebee
http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/z914GTposter.jpg

Down in the leaves beneath the image of the car, the text of the poster is as follows:

Original German text:

100000 VW-Porsche 914

Sein ungewöhnliches Konzept hat ihn zum beliebtesten
Sportwagen seiner Klasse gemacht

Coupe und Cabriolet zugleich, mit Sicherheitsbügel und zwei
Kofferräumen. Sichere Straßenlage durch den Mittlemotor.

Sichern Sie sich einen 914 aus der begrenzten
numerierten Jubiläumsserie mit

Zweifarben‑Sonderlackierung (schwarz‑gelb oder weiß‑rot).

English translation:

100000 VW-Porsche 914

Its unique concept made it the most popular sports car of its class.

Coupe and Convertible at the same time, with a safety roll bar and two
trunks. Secure road handling because of the mid-engine.

Secure yourself a 914 from the limited numbered
Jubilee [Anniversary or Milestone celebration] series
with two‑color special paint schemes (black-yellow or white-red).

<end snip>

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
Tom_T
More onthe "914-S" in Japan - as well as their 74 MY "914-SL" .....

Apparently their "SL" designation comes from "Sports Limited" for the limited edition or special edition 74 MY color scheme & special equipment - comparable to the 914-LE of the USA & Canada markets, & 914-GT of Europe & the rest of the world. Ergo we can postulate that the Japanese market's "914-S" signified "914 Sport" (or "Sports") - as opposed to the USA/Canada markets' "S" for "Super" as in the ads previously posted above.

The documentation below is from Matsuda Collection info. (also found at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Canam/LE website with the link at my prior post above, but under 914-SL in the left sidebar). Note the reference to 2.0 model as 914-S & special edition 2.0's as 914-SL (as is the "Bumblebee" which George Hussey has just purchased in Germany from the former Matsuda Collection), with importation numbers of each in the box at the bottom (added by Jeff Bowlsby to highlight 914-SL).

Click to view attachment

George's "new" Acquisition - "Matsuda Bumblebee" 1974 MY "914-SL"
> more pix & info here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...107777&st=0

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

A 1974 MY "Creamsicle" Japanese Market "914-SL"

Click to view attachment

Based on the Matsuda document above & Jaimie's prior posts then, any other 914 2.0 imported to Japan between the 1973-76 MYs would be considered a "914-S" in that market, but was still badged as the "standard" Euro-Land 914 2.0 models ....

Click to view attachment

The above is from a German ad, so maybe Jaime can post some pix of an actual example of a 914 2.0 "914-S" originally imported from the factory to Japan market? confused24.gif type.gif

By the way, all of these exclusive 74 MY "Limited Edition" (LE) models were likewise never badged as "914-SL", "914-GT", "914-LE" nor "(14 Canam" either - just as was the case for the USA/Canada "914 S" of the 1973 MY. However, the LE's for US/Can will be designated by a specific option package in the Kardex & COA, along with a particular special paint code under color (as well as possibly for the 914-GT & 914-SL). Although, the later special badging was considered for one prototype of the model.according to Mr. Bowlsby's excellent research).

Look at the prototype Canam tail badging below (also from the Bowlsby Canam site under Prototypes) ....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif

JeffBowlsby
Recognition of the 914S from DPD

Tom_T
Thanx Jeff! smile.gif

IIRC, some of the pix of options brochures on your website also referenced "914S".

As you can tell from the above, I spent most of yesterday evening perusing your 914LE website & found those things I posted above relative to the Japan "914-S" & "914-SL" models/marketing names. Thanx for your hard & long research on all! beerchug.gif

<edit add>
Apparently VW of America did too for their VPC division's AC, per this 73 MY brochure from Jeff's website:

Click to view attachment

... there may be others on Jeff's Classic 914 website also referencing the "914 S" model in US/Canada markets, &/or the "914SC" in UK/Commonwealth markets, &/or "914-S"/"914-SL" in Japan.

Feel free to add on posts here as an info resource on these models/marketing names, anything anyone else happens to come across!

popcorn[1].gif

ME733
.......THANK YOU ...Jeff B..,and TOM...the longer this post and thread exists the more information, reguarding the 914-S is revealed. It just takes time for research and information to come to light. way to go guys.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 25 2010, 03:09 PM) *

.......THANK YOU ...Jeff B..,and TOM...the longer this post and thread exists the more information, reguarding the 914-S is revealed. It just takes time for research and information to come to light. way to go guys.

Hey Murray, do you have any documentation on yours from the original dealer about the 914-S &/or badge you mentioned before (window sticker, bill of sale, invoice, pix of badge, etc.)? confused24.gif

Those might be interesting to post here too.

I'd heard some folks back in the day say that their dealer invoice/BoS stated "914 S" under model - even if that wasn't the official model from Porsche KG/VW-Porsche, but I don't have anything on that in a pic or doc.

popcorn[1].gif
ME733
Tom....unfortunately the previous owners did not keep those records and information. They did keep records of parts and work performed...they were gearheads. Probably like (me) most other people you just never thought that any of that stuff would have any use or value in the future.and even so keeping up with it for (40) years. I will say the 914-S the S fits into the rear panel in perfect alignment.AND the holes in the panel have factory paint....I wonder IF the 2.0 emblem and the S emblem have the same stud/mounting points, are the mounting studs EXACTLY the same. their are no extra holes in the rear panel.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 25 2010, 04:17 PM) *

Tom....unfortunately the previous owners did not keep those records and information. They did keep records of parts and work performed...they were gearheads. Probably like (me) most other people you just never thought that any of that stuff would have any use or value in the future.and even so keeping up with it for (40) years. I will say the 914-S the S fits into the rear panel in perfect alignment.AND the holes in the panel have factory paint....I wonder IF the 2.0 emblem and the S emblem have the same stud/mounting points, are the mounting studs EXACTLY the same. their are no extra holes in the rear panel.

Funny you should mention that Murray, because I was pondering just how one might order parts from a dealer & either have them set up a "914 S" badge, or do it yer-sef at home.

The 914 & 2.0 attached as shown with 2 pins each as 2 separate badges, as in the pic below (last body shop had just de-pinned a replacement later style plastic 2.0 badge & glued it - ergo the gunk there).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

So ostensibly somebody could just leave the "914" badge in place, remove the "2.0" badge - then cut off the "S" from a "911-S" badge with the one pin in the "S" & insert it into the left-most hole for the "2.0" badge, then braise to fill-in the other hole & used touch-up paint or a well-feathered spray at that area behind the badges (with both off temporarily).

You might want to look inside your rear trunk rear wall just to the left of the right taillight to see any evidence on that 2nd "2.0" badge hole having been filled, the post a few pix if you can of the inside & badge(s) outside plz.

Ditto on my records, plus I was so young & naive & just happy to have my 914, that I never went back to the PO/OO who sold mine to me to get any extra/original parts they had in their garage or their old records back when I first got it in Dec. 75. I really didn't think that I'd need them! dry.gif

.... now I REALLY want them if I can track them down after 35 years - if they even still live here in OC! biggrin.gif
ME733
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 25 2010, 07:17 PM) *

The interior trunk paint is original AS IS the exterior panel paint. No holes have been filled. period., their are two mounting studs, on the ...S..(emblem).one above the other.
nsr-jamie
I believe the cars in Japan did not come with an "S" emblem, instead the same as European cars with the VW Porsche 2.0 emblem and than others with the North American 914 2.0 Emblem, the cars were originally imported from Mistuwa motors.

I have this old add I found, if you look carefully near the bottom and above the Porsche logo, you will see some prices in Japanese yen...on the left hand side below the 911 prices are VW/Porsche 914 2,200,000 YEN, in the middle 914 DX 2,350,000 Yen and on the right would be the 914/6 for 3,650,000 Yen (the numbers are hard to make out)

IPB Image

So what would the DX be? I am guessing it would be the apperance package as this add is from the days when they were still selling the 6 model so that would mean the 2.0 model would not be out yet....maybe DX means Deluxe
nsr-jamie
I have this scanned ad I found somewhere, it says 3 models now have been releaased in Japanese near the end of the writing...the 914 1.7, the 914 2.0 and the 914 2.0S

Here is the scan IPB Image

The rest of the scans can be found here on my little site

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/914/ than click OLD ADS on the left hand side menu
Tom_T
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 26 2010, 05:26 AM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 25 2010, 07:17 PM) *

The interior trunk paint is original AS IS the exterior panel paint. No holes have been filled. period., their are two mounting studs, on the ...S..(emblem).one above the other.

WOW! I'd love to see that! smile.gif
popcorn[1].gif

The "2.0" on mine has studs midway L & R - L on the "2" & R on the "0" & mid-height - about like the 2 studs setup on the "914" badge to the left of the "2.0" badge.

I'm happy that I just scored a anodized metal "2.0" badge for my resto, so I can put it back to correct black anodized all around! .... no more plastic badges!! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 26 2010, 10:16 PM) *

I believe the cars in Japan did not come with an "S" emblem, instead the same as European cars with the VW Porsche 2.0 emblem and than others with the North American 914 2.0 Emblem, the cars were originally imported from Mistuwa motors.

I have this old add I found, if you look carefully near the bottom and above the Porsche logo, you will see some prices in Japanese yen...on the left hand side below the 911 prices are VW/Porsche 914 2,200,000 YEN, in the middle 914 DX 2,350,000 Yen and on the right would be the 914/6 for 3,650,000 Yen (the numbers are hard to make out)

IPB Image

So what would the DX be? I am guessing it would be the apperance package as this add is from the days when they were still selling the 6 model so that would mean the 2.0 model would not be out yet....maybe DX means Deluxe

I think you may be right on the DX Jaimie & Thanx for posting this ad & the next. I would've completely those prices on it with my old eyes! blink.gif

I think if you look closely at George's new" 914-SL - it is badged as "914-VW-Porsche" & "2.0" below that in the Euro fashion, & I think I said that's how they were badged from what I read on Jeff's site & elsewhere about the 914-S & SL in Japan.

Here's a better shot of the badges at the back end of Georg's 914-SL, but black on black is still hard to see.

Click to view attachment

shades.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 26 2010, 10:24 PM) *

I have this scanned ad I found somewhere, it says 3 models now have been releaased in Japanese near the end of the writing...the 914 1.7, the 914 2.0 and the 914 2.0S

Here is the scan IPB Image

The rest of the scans can be found here on my little site

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/914/ than click OLD ADS on the left hand side menu

I wonder what the difference is between the 914 2.0 & 914 2.0S ? confused24.gif

Could the 914 2.0S in this ad be a 2.0 with the Appearance & Performance (Comfort & Sport) Groups' options? idea.gif

... if so, then that would "track" with the fitment of the US/Canada "914 S" promotion having those groups normally extra cost options, included in the base price - as per the 73 My sales brochures & "The Super Porsche 914 S" ad which I'd posted above.

popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
How do I let you guys suck me into this...?

From the other Japanese brochure on my website, 73J2, on page 10...we may find the answer to what a Japanese 914S is. But its in code....we need a decoder ring for the last two bullet points biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Because you & Dave are the guru's of all things "LE"! biggrin.gif

Which Model Year is this for Jeff? confused24.gif

Hey - I think the top right bullet in the upper full frame one is maybe a tire brand just before the 165HR15, but the rest is Creek - errrr - Japanese to me! blink.gif

Interesting that the 914/1.7 & 914/2.0 appear to have less bullets, maybe less equipped - as in the 2.0's without the Appearance/Comfort & Performance/Sport Groups' options perhaps?

I think that the 3 top right bullets in the upper full frame one may go with the 914/2.0S idea.gif

PS - Thanx for digging this out & posting it Jeff!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 7 2010, 08:38 PM) *

Its for the 1973 model AFAIK.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 7 2010, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 7 2010, 08:38 PM) *

Its for the 1973 model AFAIK.

As Arte Johnson would say on Laugh In - "Veeerry interesting!" biggrin.gif

So the Japan market appears to have marketed both a 2.0 & 2.0S "Special" with the "loaded options included" spec. under model no. 473614, with the basic "plain 2.0" being 473414 - if I'm reading your Model Nos. chart correctly.

Those would've been the other 73 MY "Worldwide" 914-2.0 model nos. as well.

Whereas, USA 914-2.0's marketed as the "fully loaded" model "914 S" would've been model nos. 473644 (49 states) or 473664 (CA only).

The chart to which I'm referring here all is at Jeff's 914 website, here:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

These model nos. only appeared on the Munroney Window Sticker & Dealer Invoice/BoS, Distributor docs. etc. - but never on the cars themselves otherwise AFAIK.

popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
914 2.0S Option List
Translation is
1. Cut pile carpeting
2. Leather Steering wheel
3. Leather Shift boot
4. Center Console
5. Fog Lamps
6. Alloy Wheels
7. Sway bars

A Japanese friend is visiting my in Suriname right now......
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Geoff. Anything meaningful in this text next to it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.