Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Site will be down for maintenance ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
The site will be down for a day or so, probably this weekend, while i move it onto a new server and that new server to a new colo facility.

The switch also involves some DNS updates in the firewall, so there might be some short-lived DNS confusion prior, during and after the move.

The new server will be much faster, has more dedicated bandwidth and lots-o hard-drive space for tons of pictures and movies.
type.gif Andy
bandjoey
Oh the grief. What shall I do? Pass the vicodin dear. drunk.gif
Cant wait to see the new version. A six transplant server! aktion035.gif
markb
Thanks for all the hard work, Andy. beer.gif
I will, however, be at a loss as to what to do with my spare time while the site is down. I may have to actually *work* on the 914, or God forbid, drive in the nice 80 degree weather we're supposed to have. biggrin.gif
ME733
....Thanks ,Andy for all your hard work in keeping the 914 world site ,great.,I appreciate all your efforts....and I,m sure everyone else does also.
charliew
Ahhh, nothing like more power and speed with a bigger fuel tank. Maybe I'll get more yard work and kitchen cabinets done.
BigDBass
Best to do it Sunday while I'm at the annual Bonsai Society picnic!
Good luck.
balljoint
Not to worry, we are all heading over to Todd's TR6 BBS to sort them out.

Out of curiosity, how much space are we taking up now?

biosurfer1
Thank god its not happening while I'm at work or else I might have to, you know, do work.
flipb
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 4 2010, 10:41 AM) *

Thank god its not happening while I'm at work or else I might have to, you know, do work.

agree.gif

In fact, I'll be traveling with the family this weekend. Plenty of distraction to keep me from pinging the site all day to see when it's back up.
jimkelly
mad.gif Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - oh OK - popcorn[1].gif
montoya 73 2.0
Damn it! Now I don't have a reason to not do the yard work. Well the wife will be happy! Thanks Andy for doing what you do.
tat2dphreak
thanks for all you do Andy. is there anything we can do to help? in the way of donations or ??
strawman
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 4 2010, 08:24 AM) *

thanks for all you do Andy. is there anything we can do to help? in the way of donations or ??

agree.gif Is there an emoticon for a wallet opening and cash coming out?
charliew
Yep thats a thought. other sites put a supporter member under your name if you contribute to show the ones that really support the site.
zymurgist
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 4 2010, 09:56 AM) *

....Thanks ,Andy for all your hard work in keeping the 914 world site ,great.,I appreciate all your efforts....and I,m sure everyone else does also.

agree.gif
azbill
Dammit its to hot to drive now with 105+ for the weekend. What am I to do but wait and wait. Thanks for all the work and dedication Andy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 4 2010, 07:40 AM) *

Out of curiosity, how much space are we taking up now?

Right now, about 25GB ...

I have limited the upload of videos in the past, so most of that is pictures and about 2GB for the database ...

The new server currently has 216GB of space (6 x 72GB on Raid 1).

The plan is to eventually go to 6 x 146GB (already have 4 of those) or even bigger, but for now 216GB will do.

cheer.gif Andy
BigDBass
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2010, 12:24 PM) *
The plan is to eventually go to 6 x 146GB (already have 4 of those) or even bigger, but for now 216GB will do.

Hmm, I may be able to come up with a 146GB or two. What brand/speed/interface?

But why not do 2x 72GB RAID1 mirrors for OS then use the 4x 146GB in RAID5 for the data?
SirAndy
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 4 2010, 10:49 AM) *

But why not do 2x 72GB RAID1 mirrors for OS then use the 4x 146GB in RAID5 for the data?

I really like Raid 1 much better than Raid 5. Just a personal preference. Never had any downtime at all with a Raid 1 setup. Simple one on one copy, no fuss.

However, i guess i could mix-match some of the drives ...
idea.gif Andy
Tom

agree.gif Andy I know you know we appreciate your keeping things working for this site, but THANKS again! beerchug.gif And agree with the donations also! Just let us know.
Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 4 2010, 11:13 AM) *
And agree with the donations also! Just let us know.

No need for donations, but thanks for the offer. beerchug.gif

shades.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
You can't fool the Cap'n. You're gonna be at Parts Heaven and you'll be selling some old junk parts as well as the site ................................

The Cap'n Thanks, Andy, for all you do for us!
race914
My sick mind can only envision your server up on jack stands with an oil pan under it !

Thanks for all you do for the club. I wouldn't be a member if you didn't approach me at the 2005 Laguna Seca Vintage Event!

Thanks Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 4 2010, 11:55 AM) *

You can't fool the Cap'n. You're gonna be at Parts Heaven and you'll be selling some old junk parts as well as the site

Interestingly enough, i'm about 3 blocks away from Parts Heaven right now!

I doubt i'll be making it for the swap meet. You guys will have to have fun without me ...
smile.gif Andy
KELTY360
QUOTE(race914 @ Jun 4 2010, 12:15 PM) *

My sick mind can only envision your server up on jack stands with an oil pan under it !

Reminds me of an old joke:

Do you know why the British don't build computers?

No, why?

Because they can't figure out how to make them leak oil. lol-2.gif
SirAndy
Well, as you may noticed, nothing went down this weekend. biggrin.gif

It'll probably be this week, if everything works according to plan (which it usually doesn't) ...
type.gif Andy
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2010, 10:31 AM) *

Well, as you may noticed, nothing went down this weekend. biggrin.gif

It'll probably be this week, if everything works according to plan (which it usually doesn't) ...
type.gif Andy

Now you're just toying with us. stick.gif Oh the suspense!

Thanks for all you do Andy. This site is the easiest procrastination excuse ever. aktion035.gif
SirAndy
3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Andyrew
Back? smile.gif
SirAndy
Well, that didn't work ... mad.gif

Soooooo, we're back running on the old server. huh.gif

Hopefully the new Colo will be able to figure out their own firewall this upcoming week so we can try this again.
hissyfit.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Thanx for ALL you do for the 914 community. I know that I'm not alone in appreciating the time, money and aggravation that this site must cause you sometime.

Thanks a heap, Andy! beerchug.gif

Paul
davep
Yay, we're BACK! Thanks again Andy. smilie_pokal.gif
tod914
Thanks for your efforts Andy. Invaluable resource for our cars here smile.gif
wallys914
Thanks Andy for your dedication!!!

qa1142
I like the old server beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Thank you Andy (he said, standing upright for the first time in days) biggrin.gif
jimtab
Crap.....I miss everything....get busy for a few days and ........Thanks Andy...we ALL owe you a beer or three.
Mike Bellis
Yea! drunk.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif piratenanner.gif
seebobgo
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 13 2010, 01:30 PM) *

Yea! drunk.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif piratenanner.gif

agree.gif
Mikey914
Thanks for all your work Andy!
jimkelly
ditto : ))))
bugsy0
Thanks Andy!
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2010, 11:59 AM) *

Well, that didn't work ... mad.gif
Soooooo, we're back running on the old server. huh.gif
Hopefully the new Colo will be able to figure out their own firewall this upcoming week so we can try this again.
hissyfit.gif Andy

Well, it's only been 10 days ... The guys at the colo finally got their act together and i can now access the new server.

I still have tons of configuration stuff to do, so i probably won't try to move the site again until next week. (Maybe this weekend if things go smoothly, which they probably won't) ...

Anyways, just a heads up that i'm still working on getting us moved to the new, improved and much, much, much better server ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
pcar916
Thanks for the efforts!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.