Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Motor -Top Nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coy
What's the trick to getting the top bolt off the starter motor? I can't get a socket over it and of course it's too close to get a wrench on. confused24.gif

It seems like the starter mount itself has a shoulder right up to the nut that won't allow a socket to slide over it. I tried a really thin walled socket. What am I doing wrong?
McMark
In the engine bay.
McMark
cool.gif
Coy
Daah! That makes it a lot easier huh?!!

Thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Coy @ Jun 4 2010, 10:01 AM) *

Daah! That makes it a lot easier huh?!!

Thanks!

And the starter comes out with the bolt after removing the nut behind the drivers side of the intake plenum.

You need to thoroughly read your "Tech Tips 700" book. We are having a test on it next week. Shame on you!
TheCabinetmaker
And You don't have to cut a hole in the trunk to remove said starter.
plas76targa
It's a PITA to get to but it's possible to get a wrench on it. Movement of the wrench is small. Have patience it can be removed. you think this is fun wait til you hve to put it back on! smile.gif
Coy
Actually, everything but that last bolt was a lot easier than a 68 ElCamino. I figure if I can get the nut on the alternator bolt started by myself, this should be a cake walk. I'll get on it this afternoon. Thanks again Mark.

Dr914... Your book is a wealth of knowledge, but it really needs an index. With that said; I just picked it up and somehow opened it straight to page 75 where there's a picture showing the nut (wouldn't ya know it) captioned "Upper starer nut". But it falls between heater blowers and air pressure sensors (?!!??) I couldn't find it when I needed it.
jeffdon
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 4 2010, 09:39 AM) *

cool.gif

Dude, where did you get that carb linkage? Its a beauty.
Coy
Wow... That turned about 1.5 hour useless struggle into about a 20 minute project. Who'da thought? Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.