Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newby with Opportunity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KarmannRick
Hello all....I am a newby to this forum (1st post). I own a 1973 convertible Karmann Ghia already and I have a really good shop I use close by when I need one. I also have an opportunity to purchase a 1974 Porsche 914 from someone I know very well. The car has been in storage for quite some time and is in really good shape. My problem is my VW garage will not touch a Porsche 914. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good shop for these cars in the Dallas/Ft Worth area??? I do not want to buy the car if I do not have a good shop to take it to. I have dealt with some sorry shops before and that really sucks. I simply do not have the time or tools to do it all myself. Thanks for your help and advice!!
Bruce Hinds
Interesting that a VW shop will not work on a 914 since it was built by VW? What's with that?
Tom_T
I suppose that they also refuse to work on the 411s, 412s & later buses & early Vanagons with the 2.0 engines too! dry.gif

Best not to use them then, try Zims in DFW area (Bedfortd) - shades.gif
http://www.allzim.com/

Go for that 74 & if it's a 2.0 - all the better for you! biggrin.gif driving.gif w00t.gif

welcome.png

BTW - Ghias are nice too! smile.gif
KarmannRick
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 4 2010, 03:08 PM) *

I suppose that they also refuse to work on the 411s, 412s & later buses & early Vanagons with the 2.0 engines too! dry.gif

Best not to use them then, try Zims in DFW area (Bedfortd) - shades.gif
http://www.allzim.com/

Go for that 74 & if it's a 2.0 - all the better for you! biggrin.gif driving.gif w00t.gif

welcome.png

BTW - Ghias are nice too! smile.gif

Actually it is a 1.8 litre
jt914-6
You might check out Mayo Performance in Euless.....817.540.4393. Ed knows too much about 914's.....He's the 914 tech for PCA Panaorama....

AND..... welcome.png
TheCabinetmaker
There are lots of folks in the d/fw area with 914's Ed Mayo is one Clay Perrine is another. Contact one of them and your gauranteed to find a shop or guys to help you with yours.

Most bug shops are scared to death of a 914.
Grelber
Just about the best is in Plano. Wes Hildreth (H & H Enterprises) has been working on these things since they came out. Most of us in this area go there just to hang out and talk.

Oh, and welcome.png
bandjoey
welcome.png
Get the car and do it yourself! Rust is the only evil that's major to keeping you off the road, and it hides well to the untrained eye. Depends on how much restoration you want to do. Rebuild a car, or fix it up and drive.

We'll walk you through most of all the repairs. If you want help with the inspection of what to look for in a 914, call out. We'll list a couple of hundred things to look out for, or someone might come out to look with you. Happy 914ing
KarmannRick
What's a 1974 low mileage clean 1.8 worth???? What should my high end be???
Mikey914
It really depends on the car and the rust, engine condition, paint ect. Kind of hard to just throw out a number. Ask the seller what they want for it to see if if sounds reasonable. If it were mint and runining could easily be $10K +, but if it has not run, and will require some work to get it going, as well as new seals, and rust repair...ect, $1500 may be too much to spend.

Get a good prepurchase, and post some pictures to get a little better imput on price (if you can).

And welcome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.