Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Karmann Ghia ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I'm thinking about another project ...

Anyone here who has a ratty old early '70s Ghia they want to get rid of?

No motor required, can have rust in the floor-pans, no need for a nice interior. All the exterior body panels should be straight. Paint (or lack thereof) is of no concern either ...

This probably belongs in the classifieds.
biggrin.gif Andy
MDG
Can't help you with your search but we already know a 3.6 fits nicely in back . . . get another motor and you could have a pair of cousins

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
buhs914
I've got a bunch of '68 Ghia parts... but no cars themselves haha
Michael N
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 4 2010, 04:44 PM) *

Can't help you with your search but we already know a 3.6 fits nicely in back . . . get another motor and you could have a pair of cousins

WOW!!! That is beautiful. drooley.gif
Katmanken
Make sure you fit. The hardtops are a little short on head room which is why I like the convertibles.

The pedals are moved to the right a bit and the muscles in my leg would lock up in a hard knot several times a year. One of those beat the sore knot to try and get it to feel better. My grandmother called the spasm a charly horse.

Rust places- over the headlights, over the front air intakes, under the spare, along the rockers, and the pans.....

And, the windows are high so you feel like you are sitting in a hole.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 4 2010, 05:44 PM) *

My plans are somewhat, errr, different ...

biggrin.gif Andy

PS: Don't need no parts, just a complete frame with good body panels. No floor pans, no motor, no interior, no windshield, heck, i don't even need the suspension (but being able to roll it around the shop would make things easier)
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2010, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 4 2010, 05:44 PM) *

My plans are somewhat, errr, different ...

biggrin.gif Andy

PS: Don't need no parts, just a complete frame with good body panels. No floor pans, no motor, no interior, no windshield, heck, i don't even need the suspension (but being able to roll it around the shop would make things easier)

I know of one that might fit your description, but you'd have to come to Seattle to fetch it.
Lennies914
popcorn[1].gif
lotus_65
sounds like you want to do what i do! shades.gif pm
bandjoey
A Karman 914 Limo piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 4 2010, 07:20 PM) *

I know of one that might fit your description, but you'd have to come to Seattle to fetch it.

If the price is right, i'd be willing to go on a road trip!

driving.gif Andy
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2010, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 4 2010, 07:20 PM) *

If the price is right, i'd be willing to go on a road trip!

driving.gif Andy

I'll investigate and get back to you next week.
BigDBass
My lust for a Ghia is what ultimately led to the 914 in my garage. Go get 'em! Even shitty ones seems to fetch a high price these days.
buhs914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 4 2010, 09:26 PM) *

My lust for a Ghia is what ultimately led to the 914 in my garage. Go get 'em! Even shitty ones seems to fetch a high price these days.

Actually the same happened to me! I started out with a 1968 Ghia project but found my teener which was in better condition and drivable. So i sold the Ghia.. but now i'm thinking that i should've stuck with it.. It might have cost less to restore it than what i'm have and am going to put into my teener.. But i agree go for it!
KaptKaos
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 4 2010, 09:26 PM) *

Ditto

When I realized that my goal was to make a ghia a better performer, I started to look at the costs. The 914 already had all of the good sporty bits, and it was cheaper!
strawman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2010, 05:11 PM) *

...early '70s Ghia they want to get rid of?

I'm partial to the earlier ('69 and earlier) cars; I'm not a big fan of the LARGE '70+ taillights and front turn signals... but to each their own. Go for it!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(strawman @ Jun 4 2010, 11:33 PM) *
I'm partial to the earlier ('69 and earlier) cars; I'm not a big fan of the LARGE '70+ taillights and front turn signals... but to each their own. Go for it!!!

Yeah, i like the late model look better for some reason.

All i really need is a shell ...
happy11.gif Andy
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2010, 01:41 AM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Jun 4 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Yeah, i like the late model look better for some reason.

happy11.gif Andy

I know where there is one that has been sitting for a pretty good while, been meaning to check it out. Going on a Porsche run tomorrow and can check on my way back. I know I am a long way from you but might can arrange some fairly cheap shipping if you are interested.

Shoe
biosurfer1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2010, 11:41 PM) *

happy11.gif Andy

Hmmm...almost makes me think you're planning on making a nice Ghia shaped "jacket" for another car biggrin.gif happy11.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 4 2010, 11:46 PM) *

I know I am a long way from you but might can arrange some fairly cheap shipping if you are interested.

Yeah, why not. If the price is right, shipping wouldn't too much of a problem ...

idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 5 2010, 12:00 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2010, 11:41 PM) *
happy11.gif Andy
Hmmm...almost makes me think you're planning on making a nice Ghia shaped "jacket" for another car biggrin.gif happy11.gif

ph34r.gif Bingo!
Bleyseng
I have a 70 Ghia convert I'd sell you but its too nice to rip apart and I'd want $8000 for it.
76-914
Great! I thought about this but figured it was out of my skill range (8 yr's ago). But now???????????? The jacket is the smart approach because no matter what you do to the engine it's still a VW suspension. An additional rust area are the door bottoms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.