Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what the cost replace clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
What is the going price to replace a clutch? 1.7 1973?
914Sixer
Hard to say. There are other items that may need to be replaced at the same time. Check engine rear main seal, loose oil galley plugs, clutch fork pivot bolt, pivot socket, throw out bearing guide sleeves. Will the flywheel need resurfacing? I am guessing the answer is yes. If so you need new pilot bearing and felt washer.
bandjoey
I just ordered all the little parts and a clutch disc, along with a rear motor seal, and my parts order came to $ 270. hissyfit.gif Add profit and labor?
underthetire
A full clutch rebuild could run over 500 for parts alone. My last flywheel was cut too much to try again, so you can either take it apart, figure out what you need, or buy everything for 500+ and do it in a day.
McMark
agree.gif lots of variety.
oldschool
blink.gif wow
realred914
little old lady got charged $1000 by local midas shop for a clutch in her 1966 Bug, wahat a rip off, helped her deal with the states auto repair division, and got most of her money back. By the way they did not replace the clutch it still slipped. be aware for rip offs. pisses my off how they prey on little old ladies, really pisses me off. nicest lady, saving her money to pay for her husbands nursing home. and he was a WWII vet who fought the crazy japs on okinawa. to think a shop would rip off the wife of a hero. dam them.

the 914 clutch can be done in a day at home if you have the tools and a helper to remove the tranny big money saver. also be aware of if you replace your flywheel or get it ground, you may need to change the shim stack hiehgt under the clutch fork ball pivot. if you keep the same flywheel (no recut) then it is not an probelm
oldschool
Very cool red thanks ,maybe I will have a Mexican style cook off on me and have a few
of the boys over and do it blink.gif or maybe just drive it to the shop hissyfit.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 4 2010, 08:43 PM) *

A full clutch rebuild could run over 500 for parts alone. My last flywheel was cut too much to try again, so you can either take it apart, figure out what you need, or buy everything for 500+ and do it in a day.

Somewhere around that!.....and then unexpected things.
have your flywheel turned.... welcome.png
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jun 4 2010, 08:55 PM) *

blink.gif wow

I just did it too no helper necesssary, cost approx. $400-$450 in parts that is also including including flywheel resurface. No Labor fee's; did it myself..not as hard as I thought it was going to be, actually rather simple if you replace all possible bushings,seals, washers bolts ect.. ect. and buy a kit that includes pilot bearing,push plate and clutch, plus have the machine shop resurface your flywheel $40-$50..
oldschool
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jun 5 2010, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 4 2010, 08:43 PM) *

Somewhere around that!.....and then unexpected things.
have your flywheel turned.... welcome.png

welcome.png thanks .....2008 welcome.png
tradisrad
oldschool do it your self, well with some friends. Get all of your parts lined up, find a machine shop that can turn the flywheel. Perhaps you have a spare fly wheel that you can have resurfaced and balanced before you do the job so you are not down for a few hours while the machining is being performed.
dont forget CV gaskets and grease. It's a good time to replace the shift bushing at the trans.
like realred said you may need to shim the pivot ball for the throwout fork.
check to see what the cv bolts are 12pt or 6pt as you will need to have the right tool.
detoxcowboy
Do it yourself agree.gif

Pelican Technical Article:
Replacing and Adjusting
the 914 Clutch
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace1.htm
underthetire
I've had my trans out a couple times now. Do the rear main seal and the trans input shaft seal while you got it out.
76-914
the rear main? And this is definately within your limits. Do it once and your an expert.
underthetire
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 5 2010, 05:26 PM) *

the rear main? And this is definately within your limits. Do it once and your an expert.

Yes, the rear main seal. Once you pull the flywheel, the old one will almost never re-seal.
oldschool
Thanks guys..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.