Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: over analyzing trunk spring rollers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dem
Mine are cracked. Looks like there are 3 choices, all pretty much around the same price!

Do I care? I'm almost tempted just to go with plastic, since that is what the factory used and as far as I can tell they have survived 37 years.

If metal is reaaaaaaaly better, do I care about aluminum or brass? Let's see some passionate, religious debate about my trunk rollers.

Choices, they paralyze me!

IPB Image
underthetire
When do you need/want them by ? The brass ones will be weeks before they show up, but probably outlive the car. Aluminum can seize up if not properly lubed. Delrin would make the best rollers IMO, but don't know if those are plastic or delrin.
Katmanken
They are all the aftermarket design and have a bigger rotating bearing surface which is good.

My choice would be:

Drop the aluminum as a choice. Aluminum makes a crappy bearing and galls.

Now it's down to brass and plastic.....

If the brass is an oillite bearing, I'd go with that. No oillite, then you need grease so switch to lubricious plastic.

Lubricious plastic needs no oiling and in order of choice: 1. Delrin, and 2 , Nylon.

Actually delrin makes a nice slick forever bearing that needs no lube, never wears, etc and may trump oilite which needs an occcasional oiling....
detoxcowboy
pelican parts carries delrin..
IronHillRestorations
I kind of like the brass ones, but KWales makes a good point on the plastic. I don't know how you'd find out the lubrocity of the plastic though.

lionel_atlanta is Automobile Atlanta
dem
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jun 5 2010, 04:25 PM) *

pelican parts carries delrin..

oo, another option.. although Pelican calls it "delrin-like"

IPB Image
toon1
OR you can use the camp 914 trunk shocks. they work great.

I have a set of brass rollers that I am not going to use.

PM me if interesterd.

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.