Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Instrument cluster removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
I need to pull the instrument cluster to replace some bulbs that are burned out. Is it as simple as removing the six screws?
realred914
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 5 2010, 07:46 AM) *

I need to pull the instrument cluster to replace some bulbs that are burned out. Is it as simple as removing the six screws?

yes although some steering wheels may get in the way, you can also pulll the gages individually they are a press fit using a rubber seal. either way will get you to the lamp bulbs!
underthetire
Yes but the speedo cable can be a PIA. I remove my center consol and push some slack up to the speedo. Replacement LED bulbs for the backlights only make it a little easier to see the gauges at night.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...BA9S6_specs.htm
championgt1
How far will the cluster come out with the speedo cable attached?

By the way thanks for the info.
underthetire
Mine only came out far enough to pull the end off the cable the first time headbang.gif

Thats why I suggest you try to get some slack going so you can unthread it from the speedo once you get it out a little ways. Its not a tough one to do.
detoxcowboy
Depending on how nice your willing to keep your gauges, I would place a shop towel or the equivalant over the steering column, remove the screws and pull the cluster out just enough to get your fingers behing the fuel gauge, pull that one first it is the easy one, then move it off to the side either hanging and on the towel or completely out (remember to rememebr the wiring), them get at your tach next, it is the big one so this is where the towel really helps to keep the gauge scratchless, then with the tach out you can reach in fairly easily at the speddometer gauge and remove the speedo cable if you need to or you could just pry as far as it will go and do a reach around blink.gif to et at the bulbs your replacing. Install your bulbs and reassemble reverse.. This is the easiest not interfering with complete removal.. basically your buying yourself room to work one gauge at a time..
McMark
IMHO, forget about the screws. Just pop the gauges forward.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.