Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914World Dog Days Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ConeDodger
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif

Let's get together!!! Summer is winding down, the car is finally running great. Time to get together with the gang. We will gather from 10am to 11am at Original Customs in Sonoma California. From there, we will head out and do a drive through the back roads of Sonoma and Napa Counties. This will be a twisty ride so make sure your passenger doesn't tend toward car sickness... Then, after we all get back to Sonoma and Original Customs - it's BBQ time! ($12 each) A catered BBQ with tri-tip and all the fixens. You get to meet McMark and see his shop and chat about what ails your 914... August 7th 10am till the cows head back to the barn!

914World Dog Days Drive - Cause every guy dreams about Triple D right? w00t.gif
underthetire
In aug. huh. Think I better get my cooler plumbed in. Think tuesday night might be fabricating bracket time. Just wish those damn AN hoses weren't so god awful expensive.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 5 2010, 08:19 AM) *

In aug. huh. Think I better get my cooler plumbed in. Think tuesday night might be fabricating bracket time. Just wish those damn AN hoses weren't so god awful expensive.

Call McMark. He knows someone who knows someone who has a source for the AN fittings. lol-2.gif
jeeperjohn56
Hey Rob, I'm in for the drive and bar-b-que, Need too get the valve's adjusted, can we have a tune-up day before the drive? I'll bring some beers or meat to burn. John driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Jun 5 2010, 08:58 AM) *

Hey Rob, I'm in for the drive and bar-b-que, Need too get the valve's adjusted, can we have a tune-up day before the drive? I'll bring some beers or meat to burn. John driving.gif

John the trouble with that is that valves need to be adjusted cold. You would need to bring it up the night before and let it sit. I think maybe a BBQ at your place for that...
RoadGlue
I'm in! (duh)

Life has been a little nutty since Tahoe, but things are normalizing again. And since you're forcing me to be less hermit-like, I'll be happy to help plan the drive. smile.gif Vroom!
RoadGlue
Most of the good roads are in West Sonoma County, more out in the Sebastopol/Foresetville/Russian River area. I suggest we meet as a group in the Sebastopol area and then wind our way around out there and then and make our way back to Sonoma for the BBQ. Mark's shop isn't situated near good driving roads and if we looped from there we'd spend more than half our time stuck in wine country traffic with minimal fun-run opportunities.

I know it means more drive time for you guys coming from the valley, but it really will make for a much more enjoyable run. If you wanted, perhaps those of you coming from the east could still meet at Mark's shop and then caravan out west to the official start point.

Otherwise I could plan another route around/up to Lake Berryessa, but I'm telling you, the crotch rockets have ruined it for everyone else up there. The CHP is millitant in that area and the roads have suffered too. Plus the run isn't really that long. Can you tell which way I'm leaning? smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Rob, Randy, Mark,

I'm in. Randy will pick a great route and I'll start anywhere he says. There are great roads near the Russian River!
ConeDodger
Whatever you think Randy... Ya'll think I should tell McMark he is hosting this thing? lol-2.gif
underthetire
If we do this, can we have a slow poke group? I don't want any huge tickets like I almost got last trip. dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 5 2010, 12:19 PM) *

If we do this, can we have a slow poke group? I don't want any huge tickets like I almost got last trip. dry.gif

These things tend to have a pattern. Toward the front, the cars tend to stay bunched up and slower. The backmarkers get caught at lights and traffic intervenes. These back cars tend to be the ones that are flying. Just stay in your comfort and if people want, they can pass you. Randy will do a route map and you can always use that to get you there... Bring a passenger. We might do another photo rally.
Mike Bellis
Will there be an award for brightest headlights this time? piratenanner.gif
MartyYeoman
I'm in. shades.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jun 5 2010, 04:49 PM) *

I'm in. shades.gif

Hey. I think i know you. Did you park at my building last week?
Krieger
I'll volunteer my place in Santa Rosa for the BBQ, I have lotsa great parking and a decent sized grill.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Jun 5 2010, 08:22 PM) *

I'll volunteer my place in Santa Rosa for the BBQ, I have lotsa great parking and a decent sized grill.

Mark's shop... (see first post) It's an open house biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif

It occurs to me that I may have to set up some kind of registration for this as we have the catered meal and can't have people deciding on the morning of the event that they are hungover from Aunt Susie's pool party and so not going...

So watch for that...

This will be fun. A couple years back we went to McMark's old shop and then off for a drive. Stopped at a famous drive-in that has been featured on the Food Channel. Yum and Zoom! See you at the Dog Days Drive!
rick 918-S
Any advice on flying in? idea.gif Just askin.. shades.gif
McMark
There's a local county airport about 1 mile from the shop. happy11.gif

But more seriously, if you can fly into Santa Rosa, that's only 45 minutes from the shop.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 6 2010, 09:29 AM) *

There's a local county airport about 1 mile from the shop. happy11.gif

But more seriously, if you can fly into Santa Rosa, that's only 45 minutes from the shop.

I recommend parachuting in...

The Santa Rosa / Sonoma County airport only has direct flights from Seattle, Portland, LAX and Vegas. You're probably better off flying in direct to Sacramento, Oakland or San Fran and then renting a car or getting a ride.
ConeDodger
Doesn't Southwest fly Mpls/St.Paul to Sacramento now? Cheap flight and I would guess at least 5 locals will be going to the event. You probably don't need to rent a car at all...

Pete Stout from Excellence came to the last one with a Grey (was it a Farnbacher?) cover car. Last seen, at Mark's shop on the Limo Day event he was in a Panamera. If he still has that, you can catch a ride in a Porsche 4 seater!
jgara962
Count me in. The exhaust leak WILL be fixed by then!
jcd914
Nothing I see on my calender so I'll be joining in! smile.gif

Jim

Andyrew
I might join this one in my new beater CRX SI. I think the GF might come as well!

smile.gif
zx-niner
Sitting here looking 2 months into the future, I'm planning on attending.
EdwardBlume
I'll be there! aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif

So can you run with the big dogs? Lots of turns and twists out there. Do you have the stuff? Come on out to the Dog Days Drive and lets have a ball! If you guys think you can be civil, I may even invite the Z Car Club where everyone has a 6. Man I can almost taste that BBQ!
toon1
might be able to make it, have to check the calender
strawman
I'll be knee deep in the 24 Hours of Lemons on August 7 & 8. We're racing a ratty old Opel GT at Thunderhill in Willows, CA. Wish "Team Tinyvette" luck!
ConeDodger
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif

Don't forget the Dog Days Drive! Get your fair share of twisty roads and BBQ! Tour Original Customs and learn a thing or two. For this event, we will be installing a Bowlsby/Keiser wiper delay harness in my car. We will do a group buy and you can watch mine and we can help each other install this very worthwhile and modern modification. This was a rare option and with the right relay, we can delay the wipe by 90 seconds.
underthetire
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 13 2010, 06:15 PM) *

Don't forget the Dog Days Drive! Get your fair share of twisty roads and BBQ! Tour Original Customs and learn a thing or two. For this event, we will be installing a Bowlsby/Keiser wiper delay harness in my car. We will do a group buy and you can watch mine and we can help each other install this very worthwhile and modern modification. This was a rare option and with the right relay, we can delay the wipe by 90 seconds.

That sounds good, you know you can get adjustable time delay relays too, right? Hell, i'd be happy with washers that work. Still have my pump sitting in a box. Actually I think there is three in the box.
ConeDodger

So we are all set to go! A drive through the Napa/Sonoma twisties. A BBQ with the boys. A tech session on wiper delay install. You will have the opportunity to group buy the harness from Bowlsby/Keyser 914 Harnesses... Oh, and for an added little challenge, we are being joined by some of the guys from ClassicZ.Com!!!
zx-niner
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jun 7 2010, 05:20 PM) *

So much for looking two months into the future . . .

Just found out my daughter-in-law's baby shower for our first grandbaby is that day. I doubt I can convince my wife to fly there and let me stay home. Count me in for the group buy on the wiper delay harness, though.

Hey, maybe if I can get my car to McMark's the weekend before the event for it's next scheduled maintenance someone could take it on the run. Is Dr. Evil coming out? It runs great at sea level.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jun 14 2010, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jun 7 2010, 05:20 PM) *

So much for looking two months into the future . . .

Just found out my daughter-in-law's baby shower for our first grandbaby is that day. I doubt I can convince my wife to fly there and let me stay home. Count me in for the group buy on the wiper delay harness, though.

Hey, maybe if I can get my car to McMark's the weekend before the event for it's next scheduled maintenance someone could take it on the run. Is Dr. Evil coming out? It runs great at sea level.

Rick from Minnesota might be looking for a ride... driving.gif
ConeDodger
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif

Get your plans together for the Dog Days Drive coming up in August! A drive, A catered BBQ lunch, A tour of Original Customs in Sonoma, and a tech session on wiper delay option! See the group buy to get in on that as we will be installing them at the event if you bring the 914!!!
ConeDodger
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif

Got your plans made? Are you going to get in on the Bowlsby Wiper Delay Group Buy and get help installing it from your fellow teeners at Original Customs after the drive? Can you taste that BBQ? Get on board for the 914World Dog Days Drive!!!
That Napa Sonoma scenery is amazing!
ConeDodger
dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif

So any comments on just how long of a drive you guys want to go on? I am thinking two hours. Longer? It's looking like pulled pork sandwiches for lunch. Some potato salad, chips and a choice of soft drinks or water. BYOBeer. Watch for registration in July. Sorry to be so formal but we have to get a head count for the food guy...
See you at the 914World Dog Days Drive in August!! :silver:
jimtab
Since I'm newly retired and since I don't think we'll be starting on our "slow lap of the USA" tour until later in the month....I'm in...and I can provide a right seat for "the alien" if he's coming in .....
jgara962
I would say 2 hours is a good lenght especially if we are going to eat, tour the shop, and do a tech session, plus have time to b.s. You can count on getting a late start too. Let me know if I can help out with anything.
ConeDodger

Are you ready to run with the dogs? Bleed your brakes, change your oil, get some driving gloves on 'cause these dogs don't stop for stragglers. Make your plans for the 914World Dog Days Drive - Sonoma CA August 2010!
ConeDodger

Did you work on your car this last weekend? You'd better get at it. The 914World Dog Days Drive is coming up! Don't want to get left behind do you? Come run with the dogs!
blackmoon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 21 2010, 08:39 AM) *

Did you work on your car this last weekend? You'd better get at it. The 914World Dog Days Drive is coming up! Don't want to get left behind do you? Come run with the dogs!

Hey Conedodger,

I will try and make it the car may have the new engine in and running, except for the body work, must keep working in the dungeon to finish projects.
ConeDodger

Let the dogs run!!! 914World Dog Days Drive! A drive, a BBQ, a little 914 education and improvement seminar... What could be better? Bring your sunscreen and your favorite drive music...
RoadGlue
Just working on a few route ideas.

Idea 1 - Loop from Sonoma to Lake Berryessa and back to Sonoma. This one is 100 mi, and Google thinks it'll take around 3 hours. I know it would be more like 2.5 hours or less we don''t stop and kick tires too much (we can do that at the shop):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...712051&z=11
jeffdon
Whats the deadline for registering? I SHOULD be getting the paint on mine any weekend now, but keep fiddling with the prep, trying for perfection. Guess I am having topcoat anxiety.

Once painted, then its time to fine tune and do some break-in/shake down runs. Just wondering if i can get it all together in time to confidently make the drive.
RoadGlue
Rob and I are at Marks, and we agree that a few weeks before wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!
ConeDodger

The route is coming together. The food has been decided on. Time for you to get some wrench time or find yourself a seat in a running car... The 914World Dog Days Drive is coming together. See YOU there...
ConeDodger
Let's run with the Dogs!!! dog.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 23 2010, 09:13 AM) *

The route is coming together. The food has been decided on. Time for you to get some wrench time or find yourself a seat in a running car... The 914World Dog Days Drive is coming together. See YOU there...

Dang! I wub.gif that color!
ConeDodger

You never know what might happen when the dogs are running. That pack could cause some damage... Come on out to the 914World Dog Days Drive and run with the pack. You will go home with a full belly and a smile. Promise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.