Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripper Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrightee
I'm getting closer to having my shell prepped for stripping and repainting, and wanted to know what products you all have had success with in removing the old paint.

My car looks like it was repainted once, with a thick primer and coat on top of the factory finish (nearly 1/16" build up). The repaint was then baked in the California sun and has a lot of cracks in it.

Click to view attachment

I used Peel Away once on a boat hull with good results, and see they advertise that for auto use now as well. Its pricey, but cleanup was easy in a boat yard...may not be as beneficial in my garage though...

Also, what works for removing the glue under the engine heat/sound pad?

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
3M bristle disc on a 90* die grinder is the best thing for the firewall, you'll have to repaint it though. There's no way I know to remove the adhesive and save the paint.

Mechanical stripping with a razor scraper can be a good option, and less mess.

Aircraft stripper works pretty well, and there are some catalyzed strippers that work even better.

A few tips for stripping paint.
Put paper or cardboard on the floor to catch the sludge.

Lay down the stripper in one smooth coat and don't brush it again. The second you lay it down it begins to stratify, and re-brushing makes the stripper less effective.

Covering the fresh stripper with heavy mil plastic makes the stripper work better, especially on thicker paint films. The solvents don't evaporate as fast and work on the paint longer.

Let it work, and don't get too anxious. If you cover it with plastic, leave it for no less than 30 minutes, longer is usually better.

Tape off the edges with masking tape, and don't get paint stripper where you can't clean it off. It's better to leave an edge of the old paint along a critial seam, and go back and sand or razor it off later.

Sometimes it takes several applications to remove the paint.

If you get into plastic filler, you'll have to get that off too.

Wear appropriate safety equipment. Goggles, gloves, and a respirator (not a particle mask).
charliew
And lots of ventilation. If it gets in a crevice or seam you may not get it all out and the new paint won't dry in that spot. Flush with soap and water real good.
Krieger
If you do paint strip collect it, let it dry and take it to the hazardous waste section of your local dump.
Lou W
This is what I've always used. Apply one direction only with a brush.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.