Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Coupling Bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Hey guys; I am having difficulty removing the pin that goes through the coupling to enable me to replace the two bushings.
I gave it a couple of taps with the hammer and a punch, but it didn't move. I notice that on end of the pin has a short taper, so I assume that was the end that goes in first if that matters.
I sprayed WD-40 and will check again in the morning. I thought about heating it, but the coupling being cast aluminium I don't think that would be the way to go.
I would really like some help on this. Thanks Mike P.S. Man I could not beleive the old coupling came out in powder and small pieces. icon8.gif
dangrouche
you need a large vise and use various sized sockets to imitate a "poor man's" press to press the pin out
Steve
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jun 5 2010, 05:33 PM) *

you need a large vise and use various sized sockets to imitate a "poor man's" press to press the pin out

That worked for me. A big socket for the pin to go into and a little socket to press it out. However to assemble it back, what worked for me was to lay it on it's side on the ground and hammer the pin back in.
Tom
Be careful, that aluminum will break if you apply too much forece.
Tom
McMark
I just open my vice enough to allow the pin to just pass, and then use a 4lb sledge and a drift to knock the pin out. It's goes in and out either direction, but there is a 'swollen' section in the middle which makes it a press fit. I drive them back in just like Steve, except the rounded ends of the pin protrude slightly, so it'll only go 95% of the way. Not a functional issue, but I like to get the pin exactly centered.
underthetire
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jun 5 2010, 05:33 PM) *

agree.gif

I used the socket underneath with the vise and a punch and hammer. Reverse for assembly.
detoxcowboy
I took mine to a local mechanic whom for $5 used a vise and put in the bushings too, i do not have a vice.. but $5 I can manage..
Gint
It's like a big ujoint with plastic bushings. You treat it the same way, but it's much easier to press it apart. You don't really know that until you do it once though.
xperu
Thanks guys for you help and suggestions, I ended up using a deep socket on one end and a heavy bolt on the other then sandwiched them in a medium size vice. A little hard to turn at first, but then the pin slid almost out, I then tapped it out with an awl. Istalled the bushings in the coupling after heating the bushing up in a cup of water in the microwave "necessary to do" I cleaned and painted the shift rod and will install everything tomorrow after paint is dry. Thanks again everyone Mike aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.