Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There may not be enough brake fluid in the world
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
New rotors, rebuilt calipers, new lines, a motiv power bleeder and 192 oz of brake fluid later I still have a soft brake pedal.

I've tried cracking the lines at the master cylinder and at the proportioning valve. I've tapped on 'em too, as I'm pushing fluid through the bleeder valves. I've carefully taken the car through a parking lot just to try and move any air that might be trapped in a hight spot. I don't get any air bubbles when bleeding any of the lines.
Rear venting clearance is set to .004. I didn't adjust the brake pedal piston rod because the brakes worked before I replaced them and the manual isn't clear about how to do this.

Started to think that maybe the master cylinder is bad, but the pedal can be pumped several times to get a *somewhat* firm pedal, and it holds, so maybe the master cylinder is ok?

Started thinking about trying the 'long tubes' method to bleed the system, but if I don't see any air coming out of the lines now, what's the point?

Is there something I'm missing?
messix
you bled right rear then left rear then right front then left front?

did you adjust the rear calipers right?
NORD

Sorry about the problem! Need to host a Teener Tuesday.

I'll bet it would get taken care of. driving.gif

Keep us posted
VaccaRabite
Long tubes! Why waste the extra brake fluid?! Long tubes is the way to go if you have a lot of bleeding to do, especially if you use speed bleeders.

Zach
detoxcowboy
agree.gif rr,lr,rf,lr ; lower bleeder first if you have dual bleeders? what worked for me after going through the firm then soft pedal issue is I jacked up the corner I was bleeding, kind of a pain in the arse but it worked?? air rises.. don't give up.
McMark
agree.gif long tubes.
messix
jack the ass end up and crack the bleeder open a little and let it run for a while. the reservoir is high enough to push the fluid to the caliper and the m/c will be ow enough for the air to go to the caliper.

do one then the other.
rjames

Yup and yup.

Ok, long tubes it is. ugh. dry.gif

Can anyone help to convince me that my master cylinder is not at fault?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 6 2010, 12:18 AM) *

Yup and yup.

Ok, long tubes it is. ugh. dry.gif

Can anyone help to convince me that my master cylinder is not at fault?

Actually, That is what I was going to suggest. Dead.
gothspeed
Vacuum cap at the fluid reservoire, will get ALL air bubbles out in very short order!! beerchug.gif
ejm
The front calipers are correctly installed with the bleeders at the top? Only ask 'cause it's been done before.
IronHillRestorations
Do a search on "bleeding brakes"
underthetire
I thought venting clearance was .006 not .04 confused24.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 6 2010, 05:14 AM) *

The front calipers are correctly installed with the bleeders at the top? Only ask 'cause it's been done before.

Me too! agree.gif Don't even know how I did it... screwy.gif
rjames
Do a search on "bleeding brakes"

Seriously? Wow, wish I had thought of that.... chair.gif

I thought venting clearance was .006 not .04

I went back and corrected my original post. It should have said .004 not .04. .004 is what was stated in another post by the Cap'n.

I installed them as marked by Mr. Shea. I have bleeders on both the tops and the bottom on all calipers. No air bubbles coming out of any of the bleeders.

I'm heading to home depot to get some 'long tubes'. Gawd, I hope it's not the master cylinder after all of this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.