Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Why won't my engine turn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
I've been prepping a waterboxer 2.1 to install in my Vanagon. I removed a known good flywheel, clutch and pressure from a blown engine and installed on the refurbished engine. Torquing the flywheel required locking it down to prevent it from turning. Same situation when installing the clutch and pressure plate. Now that they are installed, I can't turn the engine over with a socket on the crank pulley. How come? Is the clutch 'engaged' at this point and preventing and movement or have I messed up somewhere? Never done this before so I'm in the dark.
scotty b
Additional info needed first.

Did you torque the bolts evenly and progressively or did you torque them all the way, one at a time?

Did you use a clutch alignment tool and leave it installed the whole time ?

Any other work done while the enigne was out ?

Did you remove the fan, and if so how did you reinstall THOSE ( fan hub ) bolts ?

KELTY360
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 6 2010, 12:46 PM) *

Did you torque the bolts evenly and progressively or did you torque them all the way, one at a time?

Did you use a clutch alignment tool and leave it installed the whole time ?

Any other work done while the enigne was out ?

Did you remove the fan, and if so how did you reinstall THOSE ( fan hub ) bolts ?

Bolts were torqued evenly and progressively for both the flywheel and the pressure plate.

Clutch alignment tool was used for installing the clutch disc and pressure plate during the entire torquing process.

The heads were resealed with the infamous neoprene head 'gaskets' and one cylinder sleeve had to be reinstalled.

No fan involved as it is at the other end of the car. The engine seemed to turn easily after the flywheel was torqued down. I suspect my next step is to remove the pressure plate and clutch.
scotty b
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 6 2010, 12:02 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 6 2010, 12:46 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

No fan involved as it is at the other end of the car. The engine seemed to turn easily after the flywheel was torqued down. I suspect my next step is to remove the pressure plate and clutch.

slap.gif Waterboxer Scott dry.gif ......... water boxer slap.gif
KELTY360
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 6 2010, 01:12 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[quote name='KELTY360' post='1328862' date='Jun 6 2010, 12:02 PM']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 6 2010, 12:46 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

[/quote]

slap.gif Waterboxer Scott dry.gif ......... water boxer slap.gif
[/quote]

av-943.gif Didn't want to stirthepot.gif while I was asking for help. poke.gif
KELTY360
screwy.gif So I removed the PP and clutch, still no movement; loosened the flywheel bolts and now the engine will turn. I was pretty careful about torquing those bolts but must have gotten them too tight; or, maybe my tq wrench needs calibration. idea.gif
scotty b
idea.gif Did you set the end play?
KELTY360
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 6 2010, 02:18 PM) *

No. I removed one flywheel and bolted another one on. How do I set the end play?
messix
bolts too long?
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 6 2010, 02:49 PM) *

bolts too long?

Same ones that were originally on this engine.
scotty b
[quote name='KELTY360' date='Jun 6 2010, 01:27 PM' post='1328877']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 6 2010, 02:18 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

No. I removed one flywheel and bolted another one on. How do I set the end play?
[/quote]

Shims go inbetween the crank end and the flywheel. This alllows for a specified amount of front to rear movement of the crank. Without the proper amount you can end up with a binding engine, or too much slop. You need to find out what the specified amount is, get the appropriate shims and set it up. All it requires is a dial indicator mounted to the case, measuring the flywheels movement. There are some threads here going through the proceedure.
messix
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 6 2010, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 6 2010, 02:49 PM) *

bolts too long?

Same ones that were originally on this engine.

well reinstall and as you tighten the bolts see when it bind the engine from turning.

betcha the bolts are gonna hit sumthin' and then you will see the marks left from trying to turn it.
scotty b
I googled wasserboxer end play and this was the first thing that came up smile.gif Might be helpful

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4575319
messix
[quote name='scotty b' date='Jun 6 2010, 02:54 PM' post='1328883']
[quote name='KELTY360' date='Jun 6 2010, 01:27 PM' post='1328877']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 6 2010, 02:18 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

[/quote]

Shims go inbetween the crank end and the flywheel. This alllows for a specified amount of front to rear movement of the crank. Without the proper amount you can end up with a binding engine, or too much slop. You need to find out what the specified amount is, get the appropriate shims and set it up. All it requires is a dial indicator mounted to the case, measuring the flywheels movement. There are some threads here going through the proceedure.
[/quote]
that 'splains it
KELTY360
Thanks. I'll check that out.
gandalf_025
I have a friend that changed engines on an MG once and he used the flywheel from the old engine on the new one, Somehow, there was a thickness difference between the flywheels because the flywheel bolts locked the engine up. He didn't find out until the engine was installed and he tried to start it though. Was a tough lesson to learn.
Jake Raby
[quote name='KELTY360' date='Jun 6 2010, 02:27 PM' post='1328877']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ouch..
Can't do that. If you swap the components you are ASSUMING that both flywheels have the same flange depth and thats seldom true.
rhodyguy
marc, are you dealing with small car performance (as your parts supplier) for this swap? if so give them a call.

k
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 7 2010, 08:06 AM) *

marc, are you dealing with small car performance (as your parts supplier) for this swap? if so give them a call.

k

No Kevin, this is a straight waterboxer for waterboxer swap. The engine came from a guy who is working with me on my subie swap but the flywheel from my previous engine was better. Didn't realize I couldn't just swap it over. Looking into machining options to get the new flywheel to match the old.
KELTY360
[quote name='Jake Raby' date='Jun 6 2010, 05:06 PM' post='1328920']
[quote name='KELTY360' date='Jun 6 2010, 02:27 PM' post='1328877']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ouch..
Can't do that. If you swap the components you are ASSUMING that both flywheels have the same flange depth and thats seldom true.
[/quote]

Can I have the flange machined to match the old flywheel?
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 6 2010, 05:06 PM) *

Ouch..

agree.gif
You're only as good as your last measurement.
Assume nothing!
bye1.gif
KELTY360
Found the problem. When I removed the flywheel, the thrust washer tab slipped out of it's slot and got pinched between the case and the flywheel flange, locking up the crank. Got a new thrust washer installed, bought a dial indicator and checked end play; it's all good now. Well except for the shifter linkage at the tranny that got out of adjustment, but that's another story.

Thanks for the input.

Root_Werks
Sorry I didn't make it out this weekend Marc. I got tied up getting sun burned on the lake.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.