Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shopping Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
So, I've caught the bug. I've always wanted a 914. I'm forty, divorced. It's mid-life crisis time. I've scraped 5 grand together and I've been searching here, Samba etc. I'm looking for a weekend toy to take my girlfriend out, overnight trips to wine country etc. Downside is, I'm not mechanicallly inclined.

Question: Get what I can get for 5 grand and hope for the best? Keep scraping up $$$ and get something next summer that's a little better off. It just seems like when you are 914 shopping there's rust bucket rollers to show cars and everything in between. Prices from $1500 to $25,000. Can be a bit confusing at times....
Mike Bellis
You can get a pretty nice car for 5K. You need to look for rust! rust! and more rust! Under the battery tray is the most rust prone. It will then spread to the Longs (frame rails). California is the best place to look. So you're lucky. Original, non modified cars will be worth the most in the long run. Even Ebay has some good deals. Craigs List SF Bay has good cars all the time. You must go look at it before you buy. Look for rust. Engines are cheap compared to rust repair.
roadster fan
Hello,

You should be able get a nice car for $5k. Where in California are you, there are probably some members here who can help you search for a good car.

That being said, if you are not mechanically inclined make sure you know how much maintenance and service are gonna cost on a 40 year old car before you take the plunge. I like working on my cars but if I didnt I can see how the enjoyment of ownership may be overshadowed by the $$ going out in labor to get it done.

welcome.png

Jim
slash5
check suspension console especially right side also ears for trailing arms for rust/rot.check the diggin into hell thread then you will have a better understanding of what to look for.good luck
underthetire
Make sure you g/f is on board with the car first. Mine sure doesn't like to ride in it, and I know a few of the guys wifes don't like riding in them either. Find some members in your area and talk with them. Maybe get a ride to. For 5K right now, there were some pretty clean ones in the bay area i've seen.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

If you have $5K, don't mess with a $1500 fixer. You'll end up with a $2000 roller. Be patient, ignore ebay unless you can touch it. This site is good, CL is fine. Learn all the problem areas, get a 2.0, basically buy a $7K car through negotiation or just spend a bit more. Get a PPI! If you are local to the Bay Area (wine country clue) have someone around here go with you.

There is a saying in the car business: "You make your profit on the purchase" meaning you'll be happy / satisfied / etc if you're patient, find the right car.. deal and know what you're getting. Just don't overpay or settle because it will just bite you down the line...

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.