Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to fix a loose rear view mirror?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
I just picked up a used interior rear view mirror in nice shape, except the pivot ball mechanism is loose so that the mirror wobbles around. Is there any easy way to tighten these up? blink.gif

Thanks.
McMark
Not that I know of. sad.gif

The stock mirrors have a removable base, and that screw can come loose, but that's not the problem you said you're having.
moparrob
It seems as though you should be able to pull the ball out of the socket, insert some friction material to take up the loose space in the joint (ie electrical tape?) and push the assembly back together, no?
McMark
I say nope, but it's your mirror. Give it a shot.
nsr-jamie
Can you use the new mirror with your old base? One single screw connects them together...you should also make sure they are tight to begin with just in case
EdwardBlume
I had this problem on my old street / ax car and I just learned to grab it and look back at the same time. You might try butyl.
moparrob
Well, it seems as though my quick fix has worked - at least for now. I used two 1/4 wide strips of electrical tape in the socket, overlapped in a basket weave fashion. It was difficult to push the ball back into the socket, but once it snapped in it now has a pretty decent feel to it. Try it and recycle an old mirror..
carr914
What is behind you is of no importance - throw that thing away biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 7 2010, 09:36 AM) *

What is behind you is of no importance - throw that thing away biggrin.gif

agree.gif

Thats why our butts are facing that direction lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.