Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only 12 volts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
I again need the help of our collective 914 minds. No matter what I seem to do the voltage never gets to 14V, enough to charge the battery. And since its aftermarket EFI, the EFI runs funny as the voltage drops.

Everyone said there was not enough amps so I had a 90A alt made and installed. Then they said the voltage reg wasn't working so tried 5 different regs and a new one. I even grounded the reg body and I still can't get the voltage up.

What else can I check or do?? confused24.gif

jim_hoyland
Where is the 12v reading coming from ? Fuse Panel ? I ended up running a seperate wire to the battery from the voltmeter; a relay triggered by the coil wire opens the circuit between the battery and voltmeter. The reading is more accurate than the reading at the fuse panel.

I also found a high quality multimeter gave higher readings at the battery than the voltmeter; they have never been considered highly accurate.
Tom
Teknon,
Try this, measure battery voltage at the battery with the car shut down. Start car and measure again. Did it go up? If yes, then the alt. and reg. are operating. You may just have a failing battery. If no, then you have a problem with the charging circuit that could be a simple as dirty connections or bad wiring. Remember that some alternators have a stud that can short out on the back of the alt. cover.
Some members have reported that adding a large ground wire from battery negative to engine case is helpful also. Check the trans ground strap.
Tom
detoxcowboy
13.8 at best or so w/ no draw in the system (headlights,turnsignals ect..), what are you measuring it with and where?

I had a 55 amp works just as good actually perfect as the 75 amp and the 120 amp, no better no worse, I have had my accessories fairly hihg draw too (4 amplifiers at one time, 85 watt fogs and 100 watt headlamps..... once upon a time) that I thought I need the extra for, nope! actaully the bigger the amp alt, the less horsepower, i could really tell with the 120 amp, took that out the same day i put it in..

Bosch Alt.? Reman yes?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.