Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-jet or L-Jet?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jabberwocky
Ok fuel injection guru's I need some guidance.

I picked up my car this weekend and everything is great runs like a top pulls strong ect. However I must have a vaccum leak (idle surging) Im going to take a propane tank to it tonight to see if I can find the leak. Got the diagram for a 1.8 off of the pelican sight and was having problems tracing vac lines. My question is I have a 1975 1.8 from what I glean this should be a L-Jet car or am I mistaken? I have never worked with analog FI but when I look at the components I swear I have a Mass Pressure sensor (MPS) siting on the passenger side of the engine bay. MPS is for D-Jet systems or do both L-Jet and D-Jet have a MPS. I though L-Jet was a MAF?

The car had a engine rebuild in 2003 paperwork has 1.7 so the car may have had a different engine or the shop could have written down the wrong number any way to tell by looking?.

Anyways I would appreciate it if someone cleaned up my confusion
Ill post pics this evening when I get home from work.

Also thoughts on removing EGR? I don't need one in ohio should I remove it and potential vac leas associated or just change the vac lines when i change all the others and be good to go.

Thanks all for the help

Cevan
Here is what a MPS (manifold pressure sensor) looks like:

Click to view attachment

The L-Jet FI (1.8 motors) system uses an air flow sensor. The throttle body is mounted towards the rear of the plenum. The throttlebody sits horizontally and connects to the AFM via an S-shaped hose.

The D-Jet uses the MPS (1.7 and 2.0 motors). The throttlebody sits in the middle of the plenum and is oriented vertically. The air cleaner sits right on top of the throttlebody.

Post a picture of your setup. Vacuum leaks that are downstream of the throttlebody will screw with either system.
jabberwocky
Ok not the best picture as it was the only one I had handy until I get home but the arrow points to what I believe is a MPS. I have been looking at engine bay pictures on the sight and my engine looks to match a early 1.7L . So if this is the I am guessing my car at one point had a 1.8 to 1.7 engine swap with proper FI change. any one have engine bay pics of their 1.8 75 for me to compare against?

Thanks
Brian
detoxcowboy
thats a djet!!
jabberwocky
Ok. So I have DJet. Does that mean I defiantly do not have a 1.8L? or am I jumping to a unstained conclusion. I do not know how picky the fuel injection system would be per engine size these are analog so no volumetric efficiency(VE) tables right.

thanks
detoxcowboy
"The car had a engine rebuild in 2003 paperwork has 1.7."

You can look at the engine# from the top which is behind the oil filler and inbetween that and the fan housing, hard to see but lean over the oil filler cap and look down, bring a rag..

# starting with EA or EB is a 1.7

# starting with EC is a 1.8

p914 link below with the engine #'s range ect..

http://www.p914.com/p914_numbers.htm
zx-niner
QUOTE(jabberwocky @ Jun 7 2010, 09:24 AM) *

any one have engine bay pics of their 1.8 75 for me to compare against?

Clearly yours is not an L-Jet. Here's an old picture of my 1.8. All 1.8 model years were similar.

Click to view attachment
jabberwocky
Ok. Got home took a look under the lid and found the engine number. its a EA 0234x1

x is another number but i couldn't make it out not important. Anyway looks like a 1972 series engine.
also have some pictures of the engine bay. I still feel like there are more components than a 1972 1.7L should have hangin around in the engine bay with vacuum lines I am must trying to figure out what I have to order the right amount and sizes of replacement lines to fix any leaks.

Is this the "stove Pipe" air filter design bringing hot air into the intake?

Well at least now I wont feel even remotely bad about removing an original engine if I decide to do an engine swap at some point.
Rick L
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jun 7 2010, 12:26 PM) *

thats a djet!!

agree.gif

That is definitely an MPS in your pic.
Further, that's a 1.7L ECU tucked in behind the battery.

You have a d-jet system, no question. As to the displacement, it could be either motor, but my guess is that someone swapped the 1.8 for a 1.7.

Detox is right the only way to be reasonably sure is to check the engine case #.

Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the ring of hell where the delicious pleasure of driving a 914 is perpetually but a jack-stand away! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(jabberwocky @ Jun 7 2010, 06:36 PM) *

Ok. Got home took a look under the lid and found the engine number. its a EA 0234x1

x is another number but i couldn't make it out not important. Anyway looks like a 1972 series engine.
also have some pictures of the engine bay. I still feel like there are more components than a 1972 1.7L should have hangin around in the engine bay with vacuum lines I am must trying to figure out what I have to order the right amount and sizes of replacement lines to fix any leaks.

Is this the "stove Pipe" air filter design bringing hot air into the intake?

Well at least now I wont feel even remotely bad about removing an original engine if I decide to do an engine swap at some point.

the "stovepipe" was put on early cars that were in very cold climates. Preheated air to make it run till it warmed up.

You gained by having a 1.7 rather than a 1.8 ... about 7 hp as I remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.