Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR15 and rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jerry75914
Hi all!

I'm doing gas tank resto using the POR15 kit. I got throught the Marine Clean and just did the Metal Ready, but there is still just a spot or two of rust, very light, almost like a stain.

Can I put on the POR15? Does every speck of rust have to be gone?

thanks!
ME733
....YES all the rust must be Gone., gone , gone.......And for what it,s worth, I tried many years ago....what you are in process of doing...radiator shop boil out/derust ..twice on the same gas tank....pored in the product, made CERTAIN it filled every crevass and cavety, etc....made certain it was completely dried. installed the tank....about a year later I started having fuel delivery problems...areas of the liner/sealer were loose and clogged up the fuel port.........moral of story.....clean your old tank as good as you can. if it does not leak use it , Gas tank sealers do not work for long.................in my opinion.
Drums66
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 7 2010, 12:30 PM) *

....YES all the rust must be Gone., gone , gone.......And for what it,s worth, I tried many years ago....what you are in process of doing...radiator shop boil out/derust ..twice on the same gas tank....pored in the product, made CERTAIN it filled every crevass and cavety, etc....made certain it was completely dried. installed the tank....about a year later I started having fuel delivery problems...areas of the liner/sealer were loose and clogged up the fuel port.........moral of story.....clean your old tank as good as you can. if it does not leak use it , Gas tank sealers do not work for long.................in my opinion.

Good info.......thanks for the heads-up idea.gif

Jerry75914
thanks! that's kinda what I'm afraid of. I don't seem to have any leaks, so I am toying with the idea of just quitting with a fairly clean tank biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
McMark took care of mine. Even though it wasn't that bad, you just don't want to take a chance with 40 year old "technology"...
tradisrad
Jerry, i've got a spare tank that I am not going to use. I am not sure of the condition, but I don't think it was too bad. You can have it if it will help you out or if it's better than yours. I'll check the condition this evening.
Jerry75914
Thanks Rob! I think I'm ok though. My tank is fine, not leaking, and really pretty clean to begin with. I had to remove it to put in stainless fuel lines and mount my swaybar (thanks Pleasanton Rob!), so I figured why not do the tank too.

I'll probably just put it back, much cleaner than when I took it out, new lines, filter, fuel sock...
tradisrad
Cool.
-Rob
Joe Owensby
I used the POR 15 stuff on my fuel tank. Used the cleaner first, put in a piece of chain, and sloshed out the tank for a bout 15 minutes. Rinsed out, then did the same with the metal treatment. Finally sealed with the sealer. This was done over 3 years ago. Car has been on the road for over 2 years. I recently had the tank out to do some work on the wiper motor, and it still looked great inside. Just my experience. JoeO
r3dplanet
Ditto that. I used the POR15 tank coating on my motorcycle and Plymouth gas tanks twelve years ago and they both still look super. Prep is always key. It was much harder to get out the old coatings and rust than I had expected, so I threw in a couple of handfuls of nuts and bolts and flotsam and agitated as well as I could. It took a while, but in the end it came out perfectly. In case anyone cares, my experience has been that the POR15 product worked way better than the KREEM product, just in case one was tempted.
Jerry75914
adding things to the tank, great idea! memories of my dad making me clean wine barrels by sloshing water and pebbles...why didn't I think of that!

so the consensus is that any rust will screw up the POR15 adhesion?
aircooledtechguy
I've treated a couple dozen tanks over the past 7 years. Some very rusty, others mildly rusty. Prep is the key to successful POR-15 treatment. Where I've seen others have problems is on a really rusty tank if a small spot is missed, instead of sealing the rust off, it allows the rust to grow from that spot and lift the sealer off the rest of the tank. Water spots cause the same result.

You MUST follow the directions exactly and ensure that the tank is 100% dry before using the final sealer or it will likely fail.

I have a tank in my '66 bus that I treated over 13 years ago that looks like I just treated it (when I pulled it last year for some other work). I was amazed it looked like I had treated it just a few weeks ago.
Vysoc

I did the process on my '75 tank, it had a little surface rust, take your time and go through all 3 steps. For the final step WEAR GLOVES the US sealer is the nastiest stuff in existence, I gave it a couple of extra days to cure up. The sealer is mean, just make sure your tank is dry, dry, dry before you pour it in. The sealer sets up harder than a pay day peck&r!!! Great product...it works.

I'm glad I did it, fuel system piece of mind.

Vysoc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.