Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat belt and inside mirror questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
I am putting Humpty back together again and feeling alot like all the Kings men.

Seat belts : Funny bracket (chromish) on belt retract ...where does it go ?
Some bolts short others long which is correct location.

Interior rear view mirror...What is proper method of attachment.

I know this is simple stuff but car has been apart too long and can't find pics of what is was prior to removal. Help for the feeble minded would be appreciated !
Terry headbang.gif

detoxcowboy
Funnt bracket mounts on the pin on the fire wall and will go right behind the retractor, bolt without shank goes on the fire wall the other 2 have shanks for the plastic bushing washers so the belt can move on it mounts a bit.. the longer of the 2 goes on the end of belt on the threshold by bottom of seats, if you just start doing it you will get it. Review mirror is supposed to be 4 inches down approx.., but that can be to high to see out the entire window at all angles for some people best to mount it where you see the best,,
EdwardBlume
The bracket fits along the back of the retractor against the interior firewall with the loop upward. The bolt that holds the retractor on slips through it. Make sure you figure out which one is which.. ie pass vs driver...
sixaddict
Thanks !!! Good info.

On bonding mirror , is there a sticky pad or what is proper stickum?

Terry
SLITS
Rear View Mirror Adhesive ... sold at all auto parts stores ...
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 7 2010, 04:57 PM) *

Rear View Mirror Adhesive ... sold at all auto parts stores ...

agree.gif

Some "Ids" use super glue etc. to attach to the glass - in order to keep poorly applied or old adhesive pads from letting the mirror fall off, which then doesn't break loose upon impact in an accident like it's supposed to, so it cracks the windshield & your skull! blink.gif

BTW - the black pads look best, next best is clear, & make sure to clean off all residue on both surfaces well.
sixaddict
Thanks all ...Seat belts in and pad installed ! Celebrate the small victories ...
detoxcowboy
You can get the factory intended mirror adhesive pad for cheap... I think pelican carries them also sierra madre carries them, also on samba previously.. alot easier and cleaner than goop.. I have applied and taken off the rear view several times alsways easy and always with the factory adhesive pad.. stays on like a rock and comes off with a thin putty knife and some gentle prying..

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store/cart.php

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...;FILTER_TOOL=ON
GeorgeRud
The rearview mirror does use a double sided sticky pad (looks like 3M product originally) to hold it in place. An old Porsche parts manager told me years ago that the best way to attach them is to use two of them back to back (to make up for the slight curvature of the glass), and then apply a thin bead of a black silicone RTV type of sealant around the outside of the adhesive pads once the mirror is pressed into position (keeps the adhesive pads from drying out and the mirror falling off). Use a stick of some other type of support to hold it firmly in place overnight, and it should stay up just fine.

I had several mirrors fall off after replacing them years ago until I used the above technique. This has held the mirror in position for the last 15 years, so I think it's a good technique.

Good Luck with you project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.