Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump and filter relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motomadness1947
I recently bought a 914 2.0 fI from a fellow named Rube Goldberg. He has relocated the fuel pump and filter under the car just behind the steering rack and pinion. I have read several places about relocating these items but it just says to relocated them to the front but does not say were they were or where they are going. He used rubber hoses and put such close bends in them, I am sure they are cutting off flow.
Would someone please post a picture of the correct relocation place and provide other pertinent information that may be relevant. Thank you cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
TheCabinetmaker
If there is a "correct relocation place" it would be under the tank like the 75/76's
jcb29
From 75 on the fuel pump & filter were located behind the front bulkhead, lower right side, behind a removable "blister shaped" metal access panel. (see picture of factory manual)
buhs914
QUOTE(motomadness1947 @ Jun 7 2010, 01:37 PM) *

I recently bought a 914 2.0 fI from a fellow named Rube Goldberg. He has relocated the fuel pump and filter under the car just behind the steering rack and pinion. I have read several places about relocating these items but it just says to relocated them to the front but does not say were they were or where they are going. He used rubber hoses and put such close bends in them, I am sure they are cutting off flow.
Would someone please post a picture of the correct relocation place and provide other pertinent information that may be relevant. Thank you cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Wait you mean you bought a 914 from the guy that came up with the Rube Goldberg machines!? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine
Tom_T

welcome.png

That is in fact the correct factory recommended relocation point for the pre-75/76 MY 914s (when they later put it up front), but specifically for the 70-74 914's - where there is an access port for hoses & protection by the steering rack's cover pan, but allowing access to repair/replace pump &/or lines & easily replace filters. Not a Rube Godberg project at all, unless it's poorly done! biggrin.gif

I had mine done by my factory trained 914 mechanic in the late 1970's per the factory bulletin to resolve the infamous vapor lock problem with the pump in the hot engine compartment below the battery area. When done properly the lines won't be kinked, & power is usually run along behind the passenger side rocker cover using the holes in the sill braces to support them (unless the AC lines are running there on an AC'ed 914).

fyi - AA sells a kit with all you need, it you want to refresh yours & ease the bends in those lines which you feel are too tight (mine aren't, but don't see a pic of yours to judge).

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 7 2010, 01:41 PM) *

If there is a "correct relocation place" it would be under the tank like the 75/76's

Absolutely not - what are you going to do, pull the gas tank every time you need to check or work on fuel lines/hoses? - or cut into the front trunk bulkhead to create a new area to rust? Underneath behind the steering rack is where the factory issued a service bulletin for relocation & provided a parts kit with which to do so (similar to AA's current kit).

Here's a pic of my circa 1978 relocation per the factory recco (excuse the dirt & rust, but the poor old gal has sat on blocks in my garage for the past 25 years awaiting my attention).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps - Have at it!
shades.gif
motomadness1947
Many thanks, and my apologies to Mr. Goldberg. the sellers real name was BUBBA, but he must have does his homework on this one. Great news.
EdwardBlume
I ran mine on my old car next to the spare tire on the pass side. There's a kit to do this...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 7 2010, 10:02 PM) *

welcome.png

That is in fact the correct factory recommended relocation point for the pre-75/76 MY 914s (when they later put it up front), but specifically for the 70-74 914's - where there is an access port for hoses & protection by the steering rack's cover pan, but allowing access to repair/replace pump &/or lines & easily replace filters. Not a Rube Godberg project at all, unless it's poorly done! biggrin.gif

I had mine done by my factory trained 914 mechanic in the late 1970's per the factory bulletin to resolve the infamous vapor lock problem with the pump in the hot engine compartment below the battery area. When done properly the lines won't be kinked, & power is usually run along behind the passenger side rocker cover using the holes in the sill braces to support them (unless the AC lines are running there on an AC'ed 914).

fyi - AA sells a kit with all you need, it you want to refresh yours & ease the bends in those lines which you feel are too tight (mine aren't, but don't see a pic of yours to judge).

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 7 2010, 01:41 PM) *

Absolutely not - what are you going to do, pull the gas tank every time you need to check or work on fuel lines/hoses? - or cut into the front trunk bulkhead to create a new area to rust? Underneath behind the steering rack is where the factory issued a service bulletin for relocation & provided a parts kit with which to do so (similar to AA's current kit).

Here's a pic of my circa 1978 relocation per the factory recco (excuse the dirt & rust, but the poor old gal has sat on blocks in my garage for the past 25 years awaiting my attention).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps - Have at it!
shades.gif

I worked at a dealership in 1973 and 1974. I was one of 2 914 guys there, and I never heard of or saw any such bulletin. They didn't mention it in school, either (I still have my detailed notes from all the classes I took). The factory NEVER recommended or directed the pump be moved up front. When the change came in 1975, they used a different pump and a different filter, as well as different material for the fuel lines.

The Cap'n
motomadness1947
One of the problems I was having understanding it being moved under the car just behind the steering rack was the pump and filter, wiring etc were subject to water and projectiles coming off the road. I now have noted that my car does not have a pan to protect that area as shown in various illustrations. i will make one if i cant find one at a reasonable price/

motomadness1947
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 7 2010, 01:41 PM)

"Absolutely not - what are you going to do, pull the gas tank every time you need to check or work on fuel lines/hoses? - or cut into the front trunk bulkhead to create a new area to rust?"

Absolutely yes! Under the tank and cut a hole in the trunk wall. JUST LIKE THE FACTORY DID IN 75. Why would it rust inside the trunk? I've never seen a late model rust at the fuel pump hole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.