Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No-weld O2 sensor attachment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskala
Wondering if anybody has used this:
no-weld O2 sensor mount

It's a clamp with O2 sensor socket and hi-temp gasket. I may be wanting to use an
O2 sensor for some carb tuning of the -6, but am not going to cut into the heat
exchangers. I would want to put this in the tail pipe of the muffler. Is that going to
work reasonably well or do you need to be closer to the heads?

Thanks
rickthejetman
QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 7 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Wondering if anybody has used this:
no-weld O2 sensor mount

It's a clamp with O2 sensor socket and hi-temp gasket. I may be wanting to use an
O2 sensor for some carb tuning of the -6, but am not going to cut into the heat
exchangers. I would want to put this in the tail pipe of the muffler. Is that going to
work reasonably well or do you need to be closer to the heads?

Thanks

looks like a leak waiting to happen. also you want your o2 as close to the heads as you can get it. way out in the tail pipe your readings will be way off as the exhaust cools down.
i would suggest having a local exhaust shop weld on a bung for you. they wont charge much. and if you want to remove the sensor when your done tuning (you'll never be done tuning carbs) you can simply screw the cap that comes with most o2 bungs right in(with some antisieze).
Larouex
My SDS install of the PLX sensor places the bung 3 feet from the exhaust port. This is conflicting information to be as close to the engine as you can.

I placed my at the end of the #3 cylinder in the inlet of the Borla Exhaust.
underthetire
I wouldn't bother. For less than 5 bucks on ebay delivered, you can get a O2 weld in. Gota drill the hole either way, why worry about crap falling off the exhaust. If you do put it in the tailpipe, you will need a heated O2 sensor BTW.
jk76.914
I'm in the middle of the same thing on my 2.0/4 cyl. I found a useful article, which I attached.

Bottom line- at least 20" from the tailpipe (so you don't get false reading when exhaust sucks in air between pulses), and at least 40" from the closest exhaust valve- for a wide band sensor. Widebands can overheat if too close. For turbo installations, back off farther.

Jim

Click to view attachment
rickthejetman
QUOTE(Larouex @ Jun 7 2010, 04:12 PM) *

My SDS install of the PLX sensor places the bung 3 feet from the exhaust port. This is conflicting information to be as close to the engine as you can.

well i'm not sure about the plx but on all on my modern cars (92 MR2 300hp, 86 Corvette 450hp, 94 Eclipse 430hp,all built by me) the o2 always goes at the collector in order to get the hot reading from all the cylinders. or on the outlet of the turbo.
jk76.914
QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Jun 7 2010, 07:31 PM) *

well i'm not sure about the plx but on all on my modern cars (92 MR2 300hp, 86 Corvette 450hp, 94 Eclipse 430hp,all built by me) the o2 always goes at the collector in order to get the hot reading from all the cylinders. or on the outlet of the turbo.

AFR or Lambda sensing requires a wide band sensor. Wide band sensors were introduced in 1994, and even today aren't universally used to control emissions.

I'm also working on installing a PLX sensor, module, and gauge.
rickthejetman
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 7 2010, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Jun 7 2010, 07:31 PM) *

AFR or Lambda sensing requires a wide band sensor. Wide band sensors were introduced in 1994, and even today aren't universally used to control emissions.

I'm also working on installing a PLX sensor, module, and gauge.

ok ok so my cars aren't that modern lol-2.gif but i did intstall widebands for tuning on all these cars. but i guess i never left in in there long enough to burn out.
mskala
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 7 2010, 07:24 PM) *

Bottom line- at least 20" from the tailpipe (so you don't get false reading when exhaust sucks in air between pulses), and at least 40" from the closest exhaust valve- for a wide band sensor. Widebands can overheat if too close. For turbo installations, back off farther.

Jim

Thanks for the file, I hadn't got around to specifics yet.

The exhaust probably runs hot enough for the sensor to go way in the back.
But I think I would need an extension to do idling tests.

For the other replies, thanks but I'm not going to have the heat exchangers
modified; have you seen the prices people get selling them? And I'm not
worried about having a leak 3" from the back of the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.