Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: differences between 1.7L 70/71 and 73 wiring harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project-914
Hey, there is a good deal on a 70/71 wiring harness and I have a 73 that I just need to run. Will this work? It's a 1.7L

What are the differences? thanks
ClayPerrine
The 70-71 had the heater blower mounted on the engine. The 73+ had the heater blower mounted on the body, so the later harness has a jumper to loop the heater fan power back to the relay board.

Now if you have a 74-75 1.8L, there is an addition to the harness to support the L-Jet.

SLITS
component plug location is slightly different, but you might be able to make it work with a little effort.
JeffBowlsby
Which harness are you asking about? There are differences in all of these between the model years you mention.

Main chassis harness?
Fuel injection harness?
Ignition harness?

The Alternator harnesses are all the same between the different model years.

You can make any harness work on any 914, but you may need to make changes to certain connectors, run extra wires or other mods. The wiring gages may also be different from year to year for certain circuits. Best advice is to get the exact same model year harness for your car and avoid complications.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 8 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Which harness are you asking about? There are differences in all of these between the model years you mention.

Main chassis harness?
Fuel injection harness?
Ignition harness?

agree.gif

The main chassis harness will not fit without MAJOR reworking of pretty much all electrical components. BTDT.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
project-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2010, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 8 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Main chassis harness?
Fuel injection harness?
Ignition harness?

agree.gif

The main chassis harness will not fit without MAJOR reworking of pretty much all electrical components. BTDT.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

that's what I needed to hear. I am ok with leaving out "seatbelt fasten" lights but no with adding wires and hacking into it.

with that being said? anybody have a 73 chassis harness? sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.