Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Rear Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
windforfun
This "73 1.7 needs new rear springs. Please recommend what & where to buy. Thanks very much.

bye1.gif
blitZ
It depends on what you want to do with your car. If it's a street car, you might want to stick to the 100 lb stock springs from PP or AA. If you autocross or DE then it's another scenario.
windforfun
Thanks blitZ. I appreciate the input.
EyeTrip
I just put in rear springs on 2 cars. If you like good street, then stick to the 100# springs.

For better cornering and stability, I put in stock front and rear sways. Oh man did it make a difference. Good performance without sacrificing the ride.
Joe Ricard
The best riding 914 I ever had was 21mm front torsion bars 22mm front sway, koni 1257 race inserts,

250 pound rear springs with PRO shocks valved for road racing. no rear sway.

All attributed to SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
casey944
I replaced the shocks and rear springs in my 914 and i opted originally for the 100s and then switched out to the 140s... honestly i could have gone for somethign stiffer i think, but the 140s ride well.
Joe Ricard
You don't ride on springs.
You ride an shocks.
DanT
the 140s are a good compromise spring...a little more firmness compared to the 100s and also they are shorter so you can lower the car a bit... biggrin.gif
It also depends on the shocks you are pairing them with...if you are using old worn out shocks, then expect the ride to be pretty poor no matter what you do.
Joe Ricard
The best mod I ever did was buy a set of real shocks with 1/2" spherical bearings on each end. I picked up the PRO for about 100 bucks a piece from Evil Bay.
AFCO makes a bracket that you can fit a bolt through and not have to cut anything on the car. I'll have to put some pictures up someday.
nsr-jamie
I have 150 pound springs and the adjustable perch kit from Tarret, that works really nice. It was a bit pricey...I will be installing new Koni shocks around later on and new bushings plus a thicker sway bar someday.
jeffdon
Here's a question. How do you tell what sort of springs you have? Is there a weight figure engraved on them anywhere?
Joe Ricard
My AFCO's do.
Other wise you need to measure wire thickness Spring ID, and Numer of coils.
Ian Stott
I have a 73 2.0 with factory front and rear swaybars, springs were getting kinda saggy so I replaced them with the 100 lb Weltmeister"s, great ride and very good handling, according to James Smith a former car of the month winner and owner of a beautiful original six. I haven't touched the shocks yet nor have I measured my ride height to see if it is perfect at all corners, if you are primarily a street car I think these are a great choice as the ride height was lowered by about an inch and a half, I am running 205/60 15 Bridgestone Potenza's on Fuch's rims with no clearance problems.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
windforfun
Thanks everyone for your help. As far as I can tell, the car's springs are stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.