Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Gauge is quirky
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mk114
I have an issue with my fuel gauge.

I start with a full tank an gauge is working, it runs fine to empty.

when I fill up it takes sometimes three days before the gauge will read full, like said once it reads the full tank it works fine.
WTF.gif WTF.gif

I cleaned the ticker, and checked the in sensor no problem.

Any Ideas?
Drums66
.....Clean or replace(sending unit?) idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
detoxcowboy
the floatr in the sending unit is getting hung up, then eventually gets un hung up, in like you said 3 days..
914Sixer
Pull the overflow neck from tank. Unplug sending unit. Remove the bolts. Pull the unit out of tank. Take some lacquer thinner and set unit in a tall container for a little bit. Make sure thinner seeps into the sending unit. You can clean the outside of the unit with this. Pull unit out of the thinner holding your finger over the small hole on the side. Slosh the lacquer thinner around and drain. Tilt unit back and for listening for the sending unit float to slide back and forth inside. You may have to do this several times to free up the float. I DO NOT recommend taking the unit apart because it is easy to mess up bottom nut or break one of the 3 wires.
mk114
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 13 2010, 06:25 PM) *

Pull the overflow neck from tank. Unplug sending unit. Remove the bolts. Pull the unit out of tank. Take some lacquer thinner and set unit in a tall container for a little bit. Make sure thinner seeps into the sending unit. You can clean the outside of the unit with this. Pull unit out of the thinner holding your finger over the small hole on the side. Slosh the lacquer thinner around and drain. Tilt unit back and for listening for the sending unit float to slide back and forth inside. You may have to do this several times to free up the float. I DO NOT recommend taking the unit apart because it is easy to mess up bottom nut or break one of the 3 wires.

Nope no effect, problem seems to be gauge, because if I tap on the glass, the needle jumps up bit by bit. I just haven't seen a gauge do something like this.
914Sixer
Send it to North Hollywood Speedometer for cleaning and or calibration.
Drums66
QUOTE(mk114 @ Jun 13 2010, 11:56 PM) *

Nope no effect, problem seems to be gauge, because if I tap on the glass, the needle jumps up bit by bit. I just haven't seen a gauge do something like this.

Try another known working guage first! bye1.gif....or did I catch you too late?/
mk114
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jun 14 2010, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mk114 @ Jun 13 2010, 11:56 PM) *

Try another known working guage first! bye1.gif....or did I catch you too late?/

I will try one this weekend, when I have some time.
corsepervita
Mine started twitching. If i lightly tap the dash it works fine. *sigh*
underthetire
I have a spare silver dot gauge for 9.14 +shipping if anyone needs it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.