Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seal shopping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
I've been looking at some seals on my '74 and the list of replacement seals available from a certain member here.

Help me shop!

Here's some I think I need, but I'm trying to go for the best value proposition and, frankly, trying to be lazy about it. I'm not sure which are glue versus which clip/pop into place. Are there any that are pointless without invasive discovery and tackling of rust in channels etc?

Not really planning on having any paint or body work done any time soon, although I think about it a lot...

So any difficulty ratings, "do it, it's a no-brainer", ones I should add, or other comments are very much welcome.
  • Inner and outer door seals
  • Fender-cowl seals
  • Targa to window side seals
  • Vertical targa bar seals
  • Rear targa seal
  • Rear trunk seals
  • Front hood and bulkhead seals
  • Outer door/window scrapers
  • End caps for the doors
  • Tail-lights (housing to body)
rhodyguy
can't speak for the tail-light housing seals but the rest are pretty straight forward. invest in a small bottle of glycerin from walgreens or some other pharmacy to ease installation. don't trim anything until after you've given the side in items a chance to rest. they can stretch. when they return to their shape they might be short.

AvalonFal
Just installed many of the seals you mention:

Inner and outer door seals - inner clip on; outer fit in channel- I did not glue
Vertical targa bar seals - slide in, the glycerine is a help
Rear trunk seals - both clip on
Front hood and bulkhead seals - bulkhead is clip on; main seal fits in channel, doesn't have to be glued if good quality fit
Outer door/window scrapers - slide on
End caps for the doors - screw on
Tail-lights (housing to body) - held between body and housing, newer ones have adhesive on 1 side to hold in place better during install.

Paul
detoxcowboy
Mikey914 member in the vendors section of this site and also posts often, has every seal you listed cheap and quality, he also owns 914rubber.com, alot of members use him.. the seals will be self explanatory... none need weather adhesive but some people use it on some seals and some don't.. when you have the seals and you take your old ones off you will know what you need to do.. Or you can get genuine seals for sometimes huge $$, ask me how I know.. I have spent thousands on all my genuine rubber and now question my sanity, I did not know about mikey914 at the time, and since he has manufactured much more..
underthetire
The vertical and horizontal targa seals require some assembly from 914 rubber. You need to cut the end caps off your old ones and glue them to the new ones. Pretty easy.
BigDBass
Great stuff so far, thank gang!

Yes, this will be sourced from MarkMikey914rubber

Maybe after I replace these I'll be a little less nauseated when washing my car, and maybe feel a tad less anxious of getting caught in the rain.

Figured to spring for the "plugged" version of the targa bar seals.

Hope I'm not missing any low-hanging fruit.

Main targa seal I figured I'd skip for now due to expense and my impression that that one's tougher.
underthetire
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 8 2010, 02:04 PM) *

Great stuff so far, thank gang!

Yes, this will be sourced from MarkMikey914rubber

Maybe after I replace these I'll be a little less nauseated when washing my car, and maybe feel a tad less anxious of getting caught in the rain.

Figured to spring for the "plugged" version of the targa bar seals.

Hope I'm not missing any low-hanging fruit.

Main targa seal I figured I'd skip for now due to expense and my impression that that one's tougher.

Actually, I just bought the main targa repair seal from Mark. Took about ten minutes to install, and was pretty cheap I think. It replaces just the center section, and keeps the original ends, but made a huge difference in my car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.