Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to plug vapor system?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
narino
So I've been getting a lot of 'smell' in the car. After some digging here I figured I'd start with plugging up the vapor system. When I got my 72 she never had the charcoal canister so I'm just trying to find the easiest solution till i can source a canister and run the lines correctly.

Pat I'm going to borrow your pic as I dont' have one of my car readily available. In the pic can i plug the expansion tank at that location?

Also, where does the the other hose i've marked lead to?

TIA

beer.gif

Click to view attachment
underthetire
Want the smell gone, replace the seal in the gas cap.
GeorgeRud
The big hose on the passenger's side simply dumps onto the ground. I would leave the small one disconnected and simply let it vent for the time being. If you don't fill your tank to the top, you probably won't have a real problem.

You might try putting an ad up in the parts wanted section. I imagine that some of the folks that have converted their cars into track cars may have some of these tanks available. If not, Auto Atlanta or one of the other used parts dealers should be able to hook you up. One does forget how much gasoline smell is present as most of today's cars have sealed systems (with EFI and the other vapor recovery devices).
narino
Jeff - Good call, will do.

George - Thanks for the info. At the moment the expansion tank has no tubes hooked up to it. So it breaths right into the front trunk. I'm running half a tank and the smell is enough to bother. Is plugging it at that location ok, or would there be issue with pressure building up in the tank?
70_914
QUOTE(narino @ Jun 8 2010, 02:42 PM) *

Jeff - Good call, will do.

George - Thanks for the info. At the moment the expansion tank has no tubes hooked up to it. So it breaths right into the front trunk. I'm running half a tank and the smell is enough to bother. Is plugging it at that location ok, or would there be issue with pressure building up in the tank?

Electric fuel pump and sealed tank = no fuel to engine. The amount of fuel coming out will need to be replaced with air, or a vacuum will build up.

Found out the hard way after retrofitting an early tank into my later bug. I could drive 25 miles and then the car would die.

Pressure would build up when the car was sitting, just like gas cans for your lawn mower.
JeffBowlsby
If its the plastic canister (not the metal one, new activated charcoal can be installed cheaply. Google is your friend for suppliers.

realred914
make sure your hoses are clean before hooking it up, make sure the hoses in the wheel wells are not broken. road debries can get sucked into the lines and the suction line feeds the intake manifold AFTER the air filter. you dont want unfiltered road debreis!!!!
narino
realred- thanks for the heads up.

Though I'm still diggin on how I'm going to hook this up to a carbed motor. Would I need to drill the top to the air filter to connect there?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.