Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coilover question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
I just got my new bilstein coilovers with 250# springs. I was looking at the ring that the sleeve sits on, and it seems low (Last Notch)? What notch should I start at?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks,
DanT
since you have the threaded collar, I would put the perch clip in the bottom notch. This will give you the most adjustability.
Those other notches are there to adjust ride height when you are using stock style springs and perches.

more like this. These are Konis but have a similar notched collar...
wallys914
WTF.gif

I have the collar up all the way, and the sleeve on the top notch...

Is this normal with this set up, Bilstein sports, 250# 8inch springs...? And do i need to connect the Hat to the spring, or should it be fine like this...

IPB Image

IPB Image
DanT
that should give you a nice Paris/Dakar ride height biggrin.gif

with those short springs you either need some helper springs or you will have a lot of slack when you raise the car on jacks...

that needs to go much further down I believe....
wallys914
Thanks Dan,

I've searched and searched, and my noobness brings me to believe that I can do one of 3 things unsure.gif

1) Ziptie the hat to the spring, and lower the collar to the right ride height (not sure this is right)

2) Run a helper spring

3) Buy another set of new 10 or 12 inch springs (What are others running for length?) (and why does Patrick motorsports send 8 inch coils if longer are needed...)

Any help with this would be great...
DanT
easiest way that many folks do would be to zip tie or use racer wire to attach the spring to the hat....that way the spring will go back in the same place after jacking.
Longer springs would work but be more expensive smile.gif

absolute best way would be with some helper springs. biggrin.gif
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Jun 23 2010, 09:15 AM) *

Thanks Dan,

I've searched and searched, and my noobness brings me to believe that I can do one of 3 things unsure.gif

1) Ziptie the hat to the spring, and lower the collar to the right ride height (not sure this is right)

2) Run a helper spring

3) Buy another set of new 10 or 12 inch springs (What are others running for length?) (and why does Patrick motorsports send 8 inch coils if longer are needed...)

Any help with this would be great...

I ended up using 200lbs 10" springs

Paul
HAM Inc
Zip tie the hat to the spring and get some QA1 spring spacers. I believe they sell them in 2 inch and 1 inch lengths. They go between the spring and the collar and are very cheap.
ChrisFoley
Go up two notches from your first picture and install the completed assembly. If its too low you can easily raise it more without removing the shocks from the car. You can zip tie the spring to the top perch or you can open the hole in the top perch to let it drop down to the spring. You can also use helper springs to keep everything in constant contact. I think thats the smartest way to go so I sell helper springs.
250 springs aren't going to compress much more than 2 inches with the weight on the car.
IwantA914
just wondering where can i buy the coilovers
wallys914
Patrick motor sports.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.